Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service - Lexus Or Non-lexus

figo7

i have recently bought a 02plate is200 se, the last service it had was at 47k, now it is approaching the 60k service, i rang lexus stockport and the guy quoted me a service cost of approx $600, that is a bit steep for me at the moment .. the previous services are a mixture of lexus and non-lexus services, as i am not intending to sell the car in the near future(4-5 years) i am thinking of getting the service done thru nationwide aa approved garage, it is a lot cheaper and comes with aa assurance... any recommendations on this?? if done thru independent garage would parts be sourced from lexus(so i can keep receipts for future reference)???

i have recently bought a 02plate is200 se, the last service it had was at 47k, now it is approaching the 60k service, i rang lexus stockport and the guy quoted me a service cost of approx $600, that is a bit steep for me at the moment .. the previous services are a mixture of lexus and non-lexus services, as i am not intending to sell the car in the near future(4-5 years) i am thinking of getting the service done thru nationwide aa approved garage, it is a lot cheaper and comes with aa assurance... any recommendations on this?? if done thru independent garage would parts be sourced from lexus(so i can keep receipts for future reference)???

Hi please dont go to lexus stockport, did you see them on BBC ?

If you want you car to have a service using lexus parts drop me a pm and i can sort for you, as you are in the manchester area :)

There are plenty of people who wouldn't purchase a vehicle without full dealer history and the resale value will be reduced. However as you aren't planning to sell for a few years the savings in servicing costs will probably more than offset the drop in re-sale value.

I'm just soting my cars service out and although I was going to get a it from Lexus to continue the serious of dealer stamps in the book, I think the savings I make will more then offset any loss I make when I sell the car.

Its much more fun I think *seeing* things being done at my local garage, then being told by lexus they have been done too! ;)

Its much more fun I think *seeing* things being done at my local garage, then being told by lexus they have been done too! ;)

You miss the point of the Lexus ownership experience! It was originally aimed at the folks spending 30-50 big ones on a new GS/LS/SC who didn't want to deal directly with the mechanics, and don't care about what's been replaced as long as their car is delivered and collected, and the bill is affordable (to them). That's what Lexus try and do when they have their "Lexus centres" and premium levels of service. It's only us enthusiasts that are really excited about our cars and eager to see how they are worked on.

You miss the point of the Lexus ownership experience! It was originally aimed at the folks spending 30-50 big ones on a new GS/LS/SC who didn't want to deal directly with the mechanics, and don't care about what's been replaced as long as their car is delivered and collected, and the bill is affordable (to them). That's what Lexus try and do when they have their "Lexus centres" and premium levels of service. It's only us enthusiasts that are really excited about our cars and eager to see how they are worked on.

Good point. I do find it odd when I go into Lexus and they make me sit down on the leather sofa, grap a cup of tea, watch TV, read a magazine etc while my car is taken "round the back". I suppose that is the whole point of "the Lexus experience" - But then - I'm an untrusting git and would rather be where the mechanics are! :P :lol::lol:

• 4 weeks later...

When I get the is200 i will take the first service to a lexus dealer just so i can get this "lexus experience" and have a flash new lexus courtesy car to show off for the day :P

I intend to have the is200 for several years and I am very picky on cars as the is200 is only a handful of cars I like (probably the only one I like the looks of and can afford!) so service cost won't mean much to me in terms of my own keeps sake of having a class A service (lexus southampton) and having a nice machine for many years xD

Thread has convinced me :P - the remaining services will be done at a very good local garage who charge £150~ for a complete service though as I do like the garage and they have a heavy reputation for quality service :)

Simple really. Go to Lexus for a service if you have money to burn, and are desperate to have a Lexus courtesy car.

I'm not sure that's a very fair statement, I've just had my 40k service at Lexus, and I think I'll prob continue to have it serviced at Lexus. Services don't really cost that much more, and even so, its only once a year so no real harm done.

Independents are fine, but services can cost just as much, and when you're as picky as I am, they never seem to put things back right. Lexus don't generally make too many mistakes (in my experience) but when they do, they accept it straight off and get it fixed. Unless you know a lot about the car and watch everything they do, or personally know the independent you use, you can never be 100% trusting of what's going on - prime example of "you get what you pay for" :)

To me, that is exactly what owning a car like a Lexus is about, if you don't want the whole package, why buy the car? :huh:

And I won't deny, having a Lexus courtesy car is nice, could live without it, but again, its part of the package :winky:

Simple really. Go to Lexus for a service if you have money to burn, and are desperate to have a Lexus courtesy car.

I'm not sure that's a very fair statement, I've just had my 40k service at Lexus, and I think I'll prob continue to have it serviced at Lexus. Services don't really cost that much more, and even so, its only once a year so no real harm done.

Independents are fine, but services can cost just as much, and when you're as picky as I am, they never seem to put things back right. Lexus don't generally make too many mistakes (in my experience) but when they do, they accept it straight off and get it fixed. Unless you know a lot about the car and watch everything they do, or personally know the independent you use, you can never be 100% trusting of what's going on - prime example of "you get what you pay for" :)

To me, that is exactly what owning a car like a Lexus is about, if you don't want the whole package, why buy the car? :huh:

And I won't deny, having a Lexus courtesy car is nice, could live without it, but again, its part of the package :winky:

I'm not paying 100quid an hour just to have a poncy coffee and sit in a poncy leather sofa reading the FT when ex-Lexus dudes can do a better job at a much, much cheaper price.. :lol:

They way the stealers price their servicing really pees me off, like charging to fill the washer bottle when it's already full, replacing wiper blades when you tell them not to, charging a fortune for a 1/2 litre bottle of "top-up" oil when the car doesn't burn oil....etc etc

And like Maneesh says, they want almost £100/hour for the priviledge which prices a simple oil change at almost £200 :sick:

i'm having my 60k tomorrow at Lexus swindon...

figured i'd keep the FLSH since ive paid for it up till now, and i do get good service, and dont know a garage locally i'd trust that much..

They way the stealers price their servicing really pees me off, like charging to fill the washer bottle when it's already full, replacing wiper blades when you tell them not to, charging a fortune for a 1/2 litre bottle of "top-up" oil when the car doesn't burn oil....etc etc

And like Maneesh says, they want almost £100/hour for the priviledge which prices a simple oil change at almost £200 :sick:

Damn right..or the way they advise changing brake pads because they are 30% worn, and won't last until the next service, and they don't recommend customers economising on brake pads or charging 12 quid for changing the Battery in the key, when I can get the Battery for a quid!! The list goes on....stealers only make 5-10% on car sales, it's the parts and servicing they make up to 40% on!!!

That statement is bordering on snobby, alot of people on here did not buy their car new as it's outside there income constraints, same when it comes to servicing....... should these people not be allowed to drive a Lexus because they are not able to afford the "whole Package"?

I spent six months looking for an IS200 and it took that long becase it was a lot of money, I wanted the perfect one...... but the lack of BHP made me eventually buy a " dearer " Altezza...( IS300 are rare and extremely taxed over here)

The reason i have bought this car is i wanted a car that was reliable( They are all TOYOTA's after all) , looked great and not too many of them on the road, not because i wanted " The whole Package".... ;)

That statement is bordering on snobby, alot of people on here did not buy their car new as it's outside there income constraints, same when it comes to servicing....... should these people not be allowed to drive a Lexus because they are not able to afford the "whole Package"?

Yep mate, fair enough. I wasn't actually saying that at all, it was more a weak comeback to the comment that those who do use Lexus dealers are rich fools, who are merely throwing their money away for the use of a nice courtesy car........

I'm sorry if I implied that if you can't afford to service at Lexus, then you shouldn't have one, cos I don't really believe that. The actual point I was trying to make, was that people who do service at Lexus (including me) do so for a reason, and that is the extra peace of mind

I much prefer the fact that if there is ever a problem, it'll get sorted without having to go through a long discussion where they try to deny any responsibility. Whenever I've had little niggles with the car, they've always been sorted FOC, and then there's also other simple things that are thrown in (for example, last time I needed new wipers, the rubbers were replaced free of charge as well)

Yes you might pay more overall, but when you factor in the ease of it all, and how far they go beyond what's actually required, it doesn't make sense to me to do anything else :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fellow Lexuns

I can see both sides of this debate having owned my 16 year old ls400 for 10 years when I first purchased the car ,not from a lexus dealership I must add I took it to a lexus dealership that then existed in Rochdale and they found a couple of faults that were quickly put right and paid for under the purchase warranty.the car was then looked after by them for the next five years well into 100k miles,in that time they never quibbled, I had personal service from the Mechanic assigned to my car for its whole life with them,who looked after it like it was is own and they allowed me to buy my lexus parts elsewhere and only charged for fitting.That now Toyota garage still employs the same Mechs after twenty years so I think that says something about the Lexus Experience.I cannot say the same about the Lexus set up in Scotland and have taken to doing my own services these days.The points made in this debate are valid and genuine and reflect only the reasons for having the Lexus experience at a budget to suit the owner,thats life. :whistling:

I think if we could all afford it we would all go to lexus for our servicing i'm lucky i have a guy who i trust who always does my service/mot etc at way below any qoutation!!!

but to all you who pay out to lexus dealerships yes there is peace of mind (it's all that Tea) but the massive rise in main dealers offering free servicing & Free warrenty leaves the smaller dealers hard up which i have found that most off them have had to improve their service & Customer skills just to make ends meat and really what is the diffrence they can all do the same job they are all mechanics

If your car is gonna be 9-10 years old before you sell, then what difference will it make? I would only buy a 10 year old car based on how it drives, looks and whether you have an honest face...

Oh yes, a stamped book would be good, but I wouldn't care if it wasn't main dealers or not...it's different if the buyer knows nothing about cars though!

At 10 years old your car will be worth only £2-3k tops, and you're looking to lose £300-500 of the value of a 10 year old car max by not having a FDSH, which you will have saved in one or 2 services between now and then...so I would go to a local yocal that I trust, and ensure you keep the reciepts!!

Don't waste your money on dealer servicing. Any money you lose on a 'trade-in' value is more than made up by the fact you've spent less on independent servicing - find an independent you trust and stick with him.

Further more the fact that you get more for your vehicle with a full dealer history is completely false. Believe me, I know....

Furthermore, dont believe that Lexus only take trade ins with full LSH - myth. I got full trade in price for my last one and it had some independent servicing. AND if you look at the small print of Lexus GB for 2nd hand vehicles with FLSH, it only means the last major service was done by the dealer - and if the vehicle you trade in doesnt have one, they'll do it before resale. CON.

If your car is gonna be 9-10 years old before you sell, then what difference will it make? I would only buy a 10 year old car based on how it drives, looks and whether you have an honest face...

Oh yes, a stamped book would be good, but I wouldn't care if it wasn't main dealers or not...it's different if the buyer knows nothing about cars though!

At 10 years old your car will be worth only £2-3k tops, and you're looking to lose £300-500 of the value of a 10 year old car max by not having a FDSH, which you will have saved in one or 2 services between now and then...so I would go to a local yocal that I trust, and ensure you keep the reciepts!!

Well said..............

Rant over.

Damn right..or the way they advise changing brake pads because they are 30% worn, and won't last until the next service, and they don't recommend customers economising on brake pads or charging 12 quid for changing the Battery in the key, when I can get the Battery for a quid!! The list goes on....stealers only make 5-10% on car sales, it's the parts and servicing they make up to 40% on!!!

I think you'll find that dependent on the vehicle make they make FAR LESS than 5-10% on new car deals especially. I found recently on an enquiry than a local Renault dealer was making around £40 on a new Clio deal and that a local Ford dealer was making a profit of £29 on a new Ford Ka. They do however make vast bonuses from the manufacturer if they meet deadline targets at the end of the month. Hence, you should buy a new car at the end of the month when targets need to be reached.

I doubt however if the same aplies to luxury marques as Lexus BMW, Merc, etc, where turnover of vehicles is not quite as important as retaining vehicle image.

All franchises make HUGE turnover on servicing and parts.

When I get the is200 i will take the first service to a lexus dealer just so i can get this "lexus experience" and have a flash new lexus courtesy car to show off for the day :P

I intend to have the is200 for several years and I am very picky on cars as the is200 is only a handful of cars I like (probably the only one I like the looks of and can afford!) so service cost won't mean much to me in terms of my own keeps sake of having a class A service (lexus southampton) and having a nice machine for many years xD

Thread has convinced me :P - the remaining services will be done at a very good local garage who charge £150~ for a complete service though as I do like the garage and they have a heavy reputation for quality service :)

Had my mk1 300 sport since 05/2002. Lexus Coventry "A" service always round £180.Not much more to pay for their facilities and workshop equipment.Due "B" service now, Coventry too expensive, but Leicester "B" service,plugs, and cambelt, about £590 LESS 15% loc discount....cant be bad.

• 3 months later...

I'm not paying 100quid an hour just to have a poncy coffee and sit in a poncy leather sofa reading the FT when ex-Lexus dudes can do a better job at a much, much cheaper price.. :lol:

My GS300 has just gone in for a service this morning at Lexus Woodford. Any recomendations on other garages around this area I can use instead??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links