Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thrilled With New Is250

Having had my IS250 for a couple of months, I just have to say how thrilled I am with it. The smoothness of the engine and the auto transmission is just superb. It feels solid well built and has great looks! This is my first Lexus. If it behaves itself , it won't be my last!! Having previously owned 3 mercs,1 C class and 2 E classes (which both let me down with faulty auto transmissions) The Lexus is a nice freshing change.

I hae very few gripes with it: rear leg room isn't brilliant.( but heck there's only me and the wife most the time). I would like the doors to auto lock when I drive away and the wing mirrors to fold when engine turned off. But these are trivial things really. LAstly, I have a small raatle coming from the front passenger side - door, dash - not sure really. But I guess my friendly dealer will ort that out.

All in all, it's a great car. If you've popped into this forum as someone in the market for one of these beauties, go for it!!!!!!!!!!!

After the problems I have had, I too now would fully endorse the car - it is just a league ahead of anything else in the space!!

I have the same 3 small gripes you mention, plus the road noise, but other than that the Petrol version is a stunner...a part of me regrets not going for that instead!!

I just wish there was an auto version for the diesel too!!

Congrats on the purchase! Sure it will be a great investment!

Slightly off topic mind, but its referefence to Jamboos reply.

I worked it out that running a petrol car compared to the same equivilant diesel car made very little savings across 12 months. I work some figures out with a Ford Mondeo based on average fuel prices and average milage and to get the diesel to actually pay for itself it would take 6 years.

Interesting thought. :yawn:

Congrats on the purchase! Sure it will be a great investment!

Slightly off topic mind, but its referefence to Jamboos reply.

I worked it out that running a petrol car compared to the same equivilant diesel car made very little savings across 12 months. I work some figures out with a Ford Mondeo based on average fuel prices and average milage and to get the diesel to actually pay for itself it would take 6 years.

Interesting thought. :yawn:

:offtopic: Kazi - and very true!! Diesel is more expensive to start with, and in the case of the Lexus, not that much more econimical...

For me though it's a conscience and driveability thing....the new Lex diesel is very very clean (even on the local soot/particulate levels) and so it's better for the environment and the torque makes it fly once you've got the gearing sorted. I wish they had a Hybrid, 'cos I would have gone for that without hesitation!!

With my previous car, it was totally different. the Diesel A4 130bhp offered 50+mpg no matter the abuse on a run, and the 2 litre petrol 130bhp was only approaching 50% of that (as proven by a courtesy car)!!!!!

After the problems I have had, I too now would fully endorse the car - it is just a league ahead of anything else in the space!!

I have the same 3 small gripes you mention, plus the road noise, but other than that the Petrol version is a stunner...a part of me regrets not going for that instead!!

Is the road noise any worse than any other car, or is it just so quiet in the cabin that the road noise sounds so much worse.

Is the road noise any worse than any other car, or is it just so quiet in the cabin that the road noise sounds so much worse.

It depends.

Anything running 245/225's rear and front will emit "noticeable" road noise; An IS on 16" wheels/205's has less noise, but I think still slightly more noticeable than a 3 series with 16"/205's (though I still think the BMW in that configuration has a bad ride).

But a 3 series with 17/18" wheels is as bad from my recent experience.

So on balance I do think it's on a par with anything running the SE/Sport/SE-L tyre and wheel cofiguration and it's to be expected. Has anyone compared the ride/road noise to the new GS? I know the new IS shares many GS parts underneath, but how does that fair (450h could be my next car if I don't got for a the RS4)?

:offtopic: but we have just been invited by Leic Lexus to go to Kilworth House hotel to drive the Lexus cars....I really want to drive the GS450h/300, so I may be able to let you know more then...

:offtopic: Kazi - and very true!! Diesel is more expensive to start with, and in the case of the Lexus, not that much more econimical...

For me though it's a conscience and driveability thing....the new Lex diesel is very very clean (even on the local soot/particulate levels) and so it's better for the environment and the torque makes it fly once you've got the gearing sorted. I wish they had a Hybrid, 'cos I would have gone for that without hesitation!!

With my previous car, it was totally different. the Diesel A4 130bhp offered 50+mpg no matter the abuse on a run, and the 2 litre petrol 130bhp was only approaching 50% of that (as proven by a courtesy car)!!!!!

The cheapest version of the car in Ireland is the Diesel and diesel is usually cheaper here then petrol at the pump also.

A lot of people here are very dissapionted that there is no Auto option for it.

Having had my IS250 for a couple of months, I just have to say how thrilled I am with it. The smoothness of the engine and the auto transmission is just superb. It feels solid well built and has great looks! This is my first Lexus. If it behaves itself , it won't be my last!! Having previously owned 3 mercs,1 C class and 2 E classes (which both let me down with faulty auto transmissions) The Lexus is a nice freshing change.

I hae very few gripes with it: rear leg room isn't brilliant.( but heck there's only me and the wife most the time). I would like the doors to auto lock when I drive away and the wing mirrors to fold when engine turned off. But these are trivial things really. LAstly, I have a small raatle coming from the front passenger side - door, dash - not sure really. But I guess my friendly dealer will ort that out.

All in all, it's a great car. If you've popped into this forum as someone in the market for one of these beauties, go for it!!!!!!!!!!!

The posiiton of the rattle has been quoted in another thread and I have experienced the same. I decided to investigate and found that the area around the AC filter is prone to rattling. I removed the Glove Compartment shelf and then the panel that exposes the filter. Removed the filter and then replaced everything ensuring it was all seated correctly. Replaced the shelf and no rattle since. I told my dealer about this so he was aware but the filter should have been removed and cleaned last week for the first service and the rattle has not re-occured. Two possible explanations - there is a mechanical air diverter in this area which, with the warmer weather may be in a different postions and therefore behaving itself or my messing about has inadvertantly resolved the problem. At present I do not care as it is bliss to have no intrusive noise with the quiet engine (on the low tyre noise tarmac of course). Might be worth having a dig around.

The cheapest version of the car in Ireland is the Diesel and diesel is usually cheaper here then petrol at the pump also.

A lot of people here are very dissapionted that there is no Auto option for it.

Got my new one yesterday ( silver diesel with mm) A breath of fresh air after the merc. I have started reading the manuals and have promised myself that I will work out one new thing every day. However there are so many new things that I can see this running into 2007. I agree with Andyscooke on the couple of gripes he has but I have found an even bigger one. Now I know that I am going to be accused of being sexist etc but that girl on the Sat/Nav is rubbish. I have just worked out how to imput home as a memory point and nothing else, so as soon as I leave the house she tries to get me to go home again. But that is not my gripe. When I do actually get home she tries to tell me that I am not home at all and that I need to turn left 200 metres down the road. I wonder where she actually wants me to go,I might go there one day for the craic but it is not a good beginning to a relationship. Also a small one . I am used to the digital speed indicator in the merc ( dead handy for the cops) but I have to rely on the speedo and as we have a lower speed limit here of 50 kph and there is no 50 on the speedo it is possible that a contrary cop might just catch me out by a couple of kph on a bad day.

However all said and done she is nice and as others have said goes like a 100 metre runner once 2000 rpm are reached.

Another good thing about the diesel over here is that even though it is cheaper than petrol. If you are vat registered you can also claim the vat back (21%). Why this is I do not know (politicians) but I am not complaining any more. Also I love the manual, no problems with the gearbox. Stuff autos they should only be allowed on bumper cars.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links