Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Save Your Some Money - Better Mpg

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if any of your have been reading this in the knowledge base:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge..._v2&id=152&c=11

I have done it; I used "contact cleaner". It costs £2.49 from Maplins.

The MPG improved from 15.5 to 18.5 (mixed driving)

Very easy to do, you can get your money back with in your very first supermarket trip.

Felix

:D

Anyone else tried this?

Does my LS have one of these doohickeys and if so can I do the same with it?

If it does - where is it??

Be a nice easy thing to do if it works

Colin's article is written up for the Mk1. Is it just the same on the Mk 11 ? If so, I'm getting the contact cleaner out asap.

Would carb/injector cleaner be OK to use on these?

Would have thought it would be a little too aggressive. I use Iso Propyl Alcohol

:huh: Is there a MAF sensor on the IS200, if so how/where can I find it? TKS

Nope IS200 has a MAP sensor and you don't need to clean it.

Tks. I noticed when I was cleaning the air filter, inside the box in the botton right is some sort of sensor. Does anybody know what that is?

That's the Air Temp sensor :winky:

So the IS200 is superior? :innocent: :D :tomato:

Only in slightly lower maintenence :)

Nope IS200 has a MAP sensor and you don't need to clean it.

So the IS200 is superior? :innocent: :D :tomato:

:lol: , no.

The MAF sensor gives slightly inaccurate air readings when dirty, the MAP sensor does it all the time :winky:

Tks. I noticed when I was cleaning the air filter, inside the box in the botton right is some sort of sensor. Does anybody know what that is?

That's the Air Temp sensor :winky:

Is it ?

I had a look at this (armed with my IPA to clean it)- it appears to be connected to something , but when you actually pull it out from inside the air box, there is just a plastic looking pointy thing (s**t description - but thats what it looks like).

Eventhough it is connected to the wiring, it doesn't look like a sensor -

Is this plastic thing a sensor ?

Argh :crying: I'm confused. :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

I can see this gizmo on my IS300, but the above correspondence leaves me unsure if I have a MAF sensor that I should clean, or a MAP sensor which depending on which thread I read, I should or should not clean.

Can anyone (Mike?) give a definitive view? I went into Maplins yesterday, so I'm poised and ready to act....... :blink:

Thanks,

IanB :D

I'm confused too Ian .... I took what I assume to be the MAF sensor (top of the air intake, engine side of the filter, 3 small bolts holding it in, about 4 inches by 3) out last night and could see no wires or anything that could be cleaned!

It has 2 errr 'posts' that stick into the airflow, but what either of them do is a mystery. I didnt want to poke them around too much just in case, so anyone that knows how they work on an LS400 Mk2, please enlighten me (and anyone else).

Cheers

Dave

Argh :crying: I'm confused. :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

I can see this gizmo on my IS300, but the above correspondence leaves me unsure if I have a MAF sensor that I should clean, or a MAP sensor which depending on which thread I read, I should or should not clean.

Can anyone (Mike?) give a definitive view? I went into Maplins yesterday, so I'm poised and ready to act....... :blink:

Thanks,

IanB :D

You have a MAF sensor on the 300, it's the little black thingy approx 3cm x 3cm which just unscrews.

You can see it here located between the KnN logo and the filter head:

KN1.jpg

I had a look at this (armed with my IPA to clean it)- it appears to be connected to something , but when you actually pull it out from inside the air box, there is just a plastic looking pointy thing (s**t description - but thats what it looks like).

Is this plastic thing a sensor ?

Yup Air Temp Sensor

I'm confused too Ian .... I took what I assume to be the MAF sensor (top of the air intake, engine side of the filter, 3 small bolts holding it in, about 4 inches by 3) out last night and could see no wires or anything that could be cleaned!

It has 2 errr 'posts' that stick into the airflow, but what either of them do is a mystery. I didnt want to poke them around too much just in case, so anyone that knows how they work on an LS400 Mk2, please enlighten me (and anyone else).

Cheers

Dave

One of the "posts" is the Air Temp Sensor and the other is like a tube. Look up the inside of the tube and you will see 2 thin wires, those are the ones you want to clean :D

IS300 and Altezza have a MAF and IS200 has a MAP with separate temp sensor in the air box.