Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3 Yr/30k Service Coming Up...

i'm just about to book my IS300 (1st reg 26.06.03, 25k on the clock now) in for her 3yr/30k service at NottinghamLexus.

i'll probably stick with Nottingham this time as from a bit of a performance with them last year, i've got a 25% discount off this service PLUS a full tank of fuel promised from a recent ***** up with LexusGB!. Next time i'll probably be taking a trip to Hanley at this time of year... :whistling:

as far as i'm aware, this will be a straight forward major service & brake pads will need replacing. is it worth providing my own oil? if so, what would you recommend?

i had a card from Nottingham recently with an offer of £99 inc VAT for an Air-Con service. Is this good value? worth doing? or am i doubleing up on anything covered in the service anyway??

i've just had the alloys all replaced under warranty, nothing else was picked up on the recent safety check. is there anything else i should get checked out before the 3 years comes up?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated :D

cheers

Abbie

x

My IS200 is 6 years old and never had anything special done to the air con, just the standard lexus servicing of the car, so I'd save my £99 if it was me.

Be worth getting the water pump checked too. Mine leaked and I got it fixed just after the warranty was up and it cost me lots. Ball joints are another thing likely to go but they'l probably just count those as wear and tear.

My IS200 is 6 years old and never had anything special done to the air con, just the standard lexus servicing of the car, so I'd save my £99 if it was me.

Be worth getting the water pump checked too. Mine leaked and I got it fixed just after the warranty was up and it cost me lots. Ball joints are another thing likely to go but they'l probably just count those as wear and tear.

Check the alloys. Again.

Mine were replaced under warranty, now (out of warranty) one of them's corroding already. Didn't take long.

I'm due for my 30.000 I was wondering if they would be changing the pads because my are well low. Also you mentioned about alloys under warranty mine are well scuffed and will soon start to corrode is it worth trying my look

I'm due for my 30.000 I was wondering if they would be changing the pads because my are well low. Also you mentioned about Alloys under warranty mine are well scuffed and will soon start to corrode is it worth trying my look

Dont matter about the scuffed ones, if corroding then lexus should change :D if still under warranty :D

My IS300 is due a 40k service next month.

I see that a lot of people have in the past recommended that you provide your own oil. Which oil would people recommended ? Can I go to Halfords and get Castrol GTX Magnatec 10W-40 synthetic oil ? And is 4.5 ltrs the capacity ?

A very helpful link HERE

Click on "which oil should I use" and then "Find out which oil is best for your car" - you can choose cars and then Lexus/IS200 or 250 etc.

Shame it does not show the 220d yet...and of course it plugs their own brand :winky:

Mine is also due its 30K service in the next few weeks and will be supplying my own oil as I did for the 20K service. I use the Chevron Supreme fully synthetic 5W40 from Costco. It's much cheaper than the Mobile and I've not had any problems. I would recomend that you check the alloys as mine are starting to corrode again after already having had them changed.

Id book the 3yr service up to 1 month before its due...

Any problems and they will still be covered under warranty!

MOT will be for 13 months.

I actually had a 2nd set of replacement alloys (the 2nd outside warranty) but its not long before they go the same way :(

I used to provide quality genuine oil and filter (because they don't carry it) when serving my old car in the cheap garage but didn't expect that it also happens to Lexus service.

Anyway, what's the benefit of providing the oil when servicing the Lex at Lexus Dealer ? Won't they think it inferior and end up not using the oil provided since you can't really tell the differrence :D

firstly, thanks for the all info - i'm a little confused regarding the oil tho :duh: , some yes, some no! i initially thought it was a good idea as they seem to charge twice as much as it actually costs...but what do i know eh?! ;) VERY worrying about the alloys & how many have had a 2ND set changed :shutit: that really is pretty sh*t. i had a quick look at the new set yesterday & they seem ok, at the moment!

now, i've just had my email from Nottm Lex confirming service date etc, i'd asked for a quote on the service & pads renewal prior to any discount being done - reply as follows "The retail cost of the 30k for you vehicle specification is £400 which includes a coolant change, filters, oil etc. Less the discounts provided.

For the brakes the price varies from £160 - £280, depending on whether they are front or rear, pads or discs or both..."

£400?! :o :o :o WHAT! i'm possibly living in an alternative reality but isn't this a bit steep? bearing in mind it would be approx half this at Hanley. the cynical side of me thinks this maybe inflated because of my discounts due... :shifty:

ok get someone else ( maybe a man ) to call them and ask how much for the same service of the same model and age etc and see what price they get - if its less I think a very sharp letter needs to be written along with a few stern phone calls.

if you supply your own oil ( same spec as the oil used at the dealer etc) and it is 1/2 the price, you are saving quite a bit of £ so go for it.

as for the brakes - the labour cost is huge, you can change the front brake pads in 30 mins ( includes removing the wheel etc) but they charge an hour, to change the discs on the front is maybe no more than an extra 20 mins - for the brakes take it to any independant garage it will be far cheaper even if you buy the parts from lexus.

Nottm have quoted APPROX £350 for this service, when it's not me phoning! she did say that without an actual car reg, she could only give an approx cost. still not exactly competitive is it??

brake pads - i don't think i mind paying £100 for it to be done. hubby paid £60 at a local garage recently for pads on his van to be done so i don't think £100 is too bad for a Lex.

I think your getting ripped off.

I have just booked in my IS300 for 4 year/40k service which is a major service compared to the 30k one you need. If I supply my own oil including the 10% loc discount the cost is £300.94

The oil this dealership use is a fully synthetic W20-50. I enquired about the Castrol Edge 0W-30 ( as suggested by the Halfords website ) They said it would be fine for the car... I need just short of 5 liters of it.

I think you should tell them that they are too expensive when compared to others, and then use someone else, even if they offer to price match.

this is getting a bit confusing now! after PM with Chris.S, it appears coolant change isn't reqd at this service (& LeicesterLex have said the same thing too), but Nottm have quoted to INCLUDE this? this is probably why they are so much more expensive but i have to wonder why they are including this when it appears others aren't...

Just phoned lexus in Yarm and they quoted £231.00 for the 30.000 mile service without ot LOC discount and wit out any additional parts i.e pads

Just phoned lexus in Yarm and they quoted £231.00 for the 30.000 mile service without ot LOC discount and wit out any additional parts i.e pads

was this for IS300 not 200? & do you know if it included coolant?

cheers

Abbie

are we all sitting down?, i have some absolutely shocking figures to quote to you all...

to be on a level playing field, i have NOT included ANY discounts (ie my 25% off @ Nottingham & relevant LOC %) -

IS300 30k/3yr service, NOT including coolant change -

Hanley £120.00 (while u wait, car available whilst waiting)

Leicester £224.00 (collection/delivery/courtesy car)

Nottingham £324.08 (collection/delivery/courtesy car)

replacement of front brake pads -

Hanley £100.00

Leicester £129.00

Nottingham £187.83

so, service & pads =

£220.00 Hanley

£353.00 Leicester

£511.91 Nottingham

at the moment, i only have a quote for the service including coolant change from Nottm =

£409.53 + £187.83 for pads = total £597.36 :o

as Nottm have been reasonably in line with others for previous services, does anyone else think my 25% discount maybe affecting their prices?!?!?