Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I've been browsing the forum for several months whilst looking for a Mk1 GS300 Sport.

I've joined now i actually have the money together to buy when i find the right car!

I would like to know if there is a list of common faults with the later '96-'97 Mk1 or anything that a seller might typically try to hide on these cars. Also parts costs for such common faults would be handy.

I am a very competent home mechanic & know what i'm looking for in any secondhand car but specific pointers are always very handy especially with such an expensive & complex motor.

My budget covers a late Mk1 with some service history, though not "a minter". Typically £2500 - £3000 eBay money.

Many thanks & i look forward to showing off the new car when i find it!

Cheers, Jay.

Hi Jay,

Welcome to the club,

Thinks to look for is -

Steering wheel wobble either during normal driving and when braking - warp'd discs.

Check for play in the front wheels by pulling from the top - could be ball joints or suspension bushes.

Check for un-even wear on the tyres - could be sign of tracking out or again bushes.

Open the boot and have a look under the boot lining for signs of water and water damage - leaking boot seal.

Off the top of my head, all I can think of but there will be others that can name a few area's to check as well. There's not really much that does go wrong even on the older models

Hope this helps and good luck with finding your dream motor.

BR

Paul

Hi and Welcome to the LOC :)

Some other stuff to look for on this link....

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge...x_v2&id=158&c=2

There a good solid car...Like Paul says though the upper ball joints are the ones to really check for wear as there over £200 :angry: a side to replace,thats just the parts from the main dealer,easy enough to fit though.

Good Luck..

Chips..

Thanks for that!

I was aware that the £200 a-side Upper wishbones tended to be an unseen problem, but recently heard about the "ABS actuator switch"? Any basis to this or is this person being a bit pedantic?

I've only ever seen 1 GS300 broken down on the hard-shoulder so i know general day-to-day reliability isn't an issue.

Still looking...

• 7 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links