Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi ,

just about had a guts full of my RX300 so thinking about a change ,RX400h or IS250 and hoping Lexus service can look after them as they seem to have problems getting their heads around my RX300.

So all you 400h owners get togerther and tell me what they are really like to live with.

ie 1 do they suffer from uneven tyre wear and what sort of milage per front set.

2 what is the real day to day mpg like (using AC)

3 the dreaded Lexus rattles.

4 gearbox

5 used prices.

6 etc etc

had the IS250 auto SE for a few day(my RX in to service for on going faults and it came out with the same if not more) and it what a great drive ,I know it is a very diffrent car compared to the RX but it felt very good.

welcome you thoughts and comments

cheers

swager

Drove a RX350 yesterday at a lexus open road session, and it had a rattle in the dash !...only 60 miles on the clock too. Can't believe they would use one with a rattle at an event to encourage people to buy.

Anyway....compared to my IS250 Se Auto, I found the RX had a surprisingly good ride, better than the IS. Thought the auto box not as good. Mine shifts a lot quicker and smoother. Think the RX is 5 speed rather than 6. Steering on the RX very light compared to the IS.

Didn't get to drive the RX400h, but did drive the GS450h which was awesome. Quiet eerie driving at low speed on electric only. Acceleration was fantastic.

Also drove 220d Sport and was not impressed. Notchy gearbox, limited flexibility of the engine. Quite quick if you kept it between 2-4000 revs mind....wouldn't keep up with the 400h in front of me though !

Can't answer your other questions, as don't own one....sorry

1 do they suffer from uneven tyre wear and what sort of milage per front set.

4 gearbox

5 used prices.

6 etc etc

1. Not noticed any adverse/uneven tyre wear yet.. then again I've only done 6000 miles in mine. I have heard that uneven tyre wear is common among all models of the Lexus range, but others on the forum can elaborate on that...

2. I'm getting consistently between 30 and 34 averaged over 1000 mile stints with A/C permanently on... then again I do use a lot of cruise control, and don't drive as if I'm on Brands Hatch either..

3. Did have a bit of rattle from the tonneau cover, but that was a simple matter of slightly bending the flexible bit so that it didn't contact the back of the seats. Since then, no rattles at all except for my own installed equipment (Kenwood TMD700 amateur radio with its GPS aerial rattling sometimes against the head-unit bracket)

4. Gearbox can't really be compared to the RX300... the 400h has a Constantly Variable transmission, so no jerks, lurches, or anything else. Just constant acceleration throughout the power curve.

5. From what I've noticed, they seem to be holding their value, lowest "used" 400h SE-L price I've seen recently is an ex-demo with 12k miles for £38k.

Leland

1 do they suffer from uneven tyre wear and what sort of milage per front set.

4 gearbox

5 used prices.

6 etc etc

1. Not noticed any adverse/uneven tyre wear yet.. then again I've only done 6000 miles in mine. I have heard that uneven tyre wear is common among all models of the Lexus range, but others on the forum can elaborate on that...

2. I'm getting consistently between 30 and 34 averaged over 1000 mile stints with A/C permanently on... then again I do use a lot of cruise control, and don't drive as if I'm on Brands Hatch either..

3. Did have a bit of rattle from the tonneau cover, but that was a simple matter of slightly bending the flexible bit so that it didn't contact the back of the seats. Since then, no rattles at all except for my own installed equipment (Kenwood TMD700 amateur radio with its GPS aerial rattling sometimes against the head-unit bracket)

4. Gearbox can't really be compared to the RX300... the 400h has a Constantly Variable transmission, so no jerks, lurches, or anything else. Just constant acceleration throughout the power curve.

5. From what I've noticed, they seem to be holding their value, lowest "used" 400h SE-L price I've seen recently is an ex-demo with 12k miles for £38k.

Leland

Hi Leland

many thanks for your reply,looks like you are very pleased with your 400h.I will be trying to get a few days test drive very soon ,will let you know how we get on.

cheers

swager

Like Leland I too have not had any uneven tyre wear. I have had mine for six months and it has now covered 11,000 miles at an average of 28.8MPG. Took it in for its first service at 8,000 miles and then covered 2,500 miles in France over 10 days - incredibly comfortable, smooth ride and amazing acceleration when required. No rattles apart from some leather squeak when the rear armrest is in the upright position. No complaints other than that. First 10k service cost £150 including tyre rotation, so good news all round from me!

Hi Swager.

I have had the 400h for 6 months and done just over 6,000 miles.

I have not noticed any uneven tyre wear as yet.

My AC is on all the time.I have managed to get 37mpg on a 100 mile run(A-road and mainly M1) but that was nursing it along at 60 to 65 mph.Normal driving long distances I will get 30-32mpg at normal motorway speeds(70-80mph).If I push it to 85ish mph it does about 28mpg or so.

Around town gentle driving gives me 30-32 mpg,but will drop if you challenge at the traffic light GP.This is from cold,and not doing many town miles(short distances).

The gearbox is smooooth as it is a electronic CVT so there are no gear changes-just smooth acceleration when you want it.

I am delighted with this car,and when future generations of the Lexus Synergy Drive come out,I will likely replace this car with its successor.It is comfortable,fast yet economical enough when you want it to be.By the way,don't buy this car if what you want is just economy-that is not the point of this car.