Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Passenger Airbag Deactivation

After a quick search, I haven't found any info on this.

There is no passenger airbag deactivation switch in my wife's RX300, which is a bit sad as we'd like time to time to carry our baby in her rear-faced maxi-cosi on the passenger seat.

Does anyone know if there is a retro-fit kit available from the dealer. Or a DIY somewhere on the web?

Cheers,

Fabrice

i asked about turning off the passenger air bag when i collected my rx400h, they couldnt do it for me but it was an export centre not a main dealer, i thought there might be a switch somewhere but they couldnt find it.

i would like to know if it was possible :)

There isn't an option to do this from your dealer. Disconnecting it isn't recommended as you will produce error codes/warning lights.

Toyota never allowed you to disable the airbag in the past for safety reasons - people forget to turn it back on again and there is always the remote possibility of the airbag deploying even if it is disabled, however they do allow you to disable it on newer vehicles so their view must have changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Wifes Mercedes A Class has sensor installed as standard, if you use their own child seat it comes with built in transmitter and when child seat is placed on the front seat the system automatically disables the passenger airbag, neat.

Why cant Lexus do the same.

IS250/220's have a switch in the glove box:I am really suprised the RX 400 range has no facility as it is a new design.

Tel :huh:

Wifes Mercedes A Class has sensor installed as standard, if you use their own child seat it comes with built in transmitter and when child seat is placed on the front seat the system automatically disables the passenger airbag, neat.

Funnily enough my neighbour was just moaning about that very feature last night in his wives clk...or more precisely the fact that you are then stuck with an OEM baby seat, and that there are several once required as age range does not last long and they are expensive. He's talking of selling and getting a 4 door, says the 2 door couple was not bought with kids in mind.

Also sure there is a report that safest place for babies is in the back in accidents....and to be honest I think kids are distracting enough being in the back without them being right beside you..

Funnily enough my neighbour was just moaning about that very feature last night in his wives clk...or more precisely the fact that you are then stuck with an OEM baby seat, and that there are several once required as age range does not last long and they are expensive. He's talking of selling and getting a 4 door, says the 2 door couple was not bought with kids in mind.

Also sure there is a report that safest place for babies is in the back in accidents....and to be honest I think kids are distracting enough being in the back without them being right beside you..

you may also find the OEM seat doesn't actually do that well in saftey tests. There is a big difference in the quality of seats. The whole point of a child seat is saftey, I would always select a seat based on this rather than easy of use etc.

and there is still always the possibility of an airbag going off even if it is disabled.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links