Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Roundabout Spin Off

Hello everybody.

I had a bit of an eventfull sunday (yesturday) took a trip to Peterborough with my girlfriend...driving all nice and easy checking my fuel economy.

Hammering it down with rain comming off a roundabout doing about 20-25mph when the back end of my IS200 sport slides out, putting us into a spin, onto the left hand side grass verge...once on the wet grass i did a full 360 and seeing a ditch a trees coming towards us i really started to battle my car and managed to stop about 5feet from the ditch...ditch actually turned out to be a 15ft near vertical drop into trees (with other car parts on the slope)

As i got out of my car to see if all was alright, I found passenger side front tyre flat and a little crease in my drivers side door seal.

Tried to move my car from its parked possition and was just bogged down (being lowered probably didn't help)

Police turned up and said that I wouldn't be the last person to loose it at that spot and that the road is in really poor condition, he did comment on how most people hit the central reservation. but i went the other way...possibly due to tyre blowing out? and taking me onto the grass.

Anyway, had to get the car winched and recovered home (didn't want to risk driving it if i had undercar damage) £300 for recovery, home, dry and in one piece.

Damage so far, i think i have got away with it.

Checked out tyre this evening and have side wall damage on the inner edge (possibly caused by pothole)

Corner spat popped off (repaired tonight)

a few scratchs from the plants.

Getting the underside checked tomorrow from my local garage so will keep you posted. Will get some pics on here too.

A scarey moment that could have been very painfull...Suprising too as i wasn't driving like a fool, it just happened so quick...watching the roundabout afterwards and seeing cars coming off, A few cars were twitching including another IS200.

Go back, take pictures, if there's a pothole that caused the blowout then take pictures of that as well. Then write to the council to complain. Local paper in that area might be interested, too.

Hi.

The policeman actually said to write/complain to the council...not being funny just thought it would be a wasted effort but then thinking if there was a bike come round , he wouldn't stand a chance...then its kinda my fault for not doing something about it.

Cheers

I went around a roundabout yesterday in the rain, low speed 20mph, and I could feel the rear twitching, got me a little scared there.

Luckily nothing came of it, but it wouldn't have taken much.

I think people new to RWD tend to think they can get on the power early coming out of corners in the wet and they get caught out. :excl: Im not saying thats whats happened here.Most people have been brought up on FWD nowadays and are used to understeer.

Off topic...but i think Skid pan courses should be part of the driving test.

chips..

Hard luck mate, wonder if the LSD makes things worse in these situations?..... I drive with a very light right foot now when it's raining as one night taking a 90 degree right turn from a dead stop i just slightly over pressed the accelerator pedal and the back stepped out big time...... :(

something like this happened to me a while back,scared the crap out of me, as a result im a tortoise at roundabouts.Glad to hear that you and the lady are ok.when you came off the roundabout doing 20-25 was your foot on the gas or was the car slowing.what i mean is did you come off the roundabout increasing to 20-25 or decreasing to 20-25 from a higher speed.im just trying to visualize it

I think chips229 is right!

On the advanced driving test you are shown how to drive within the road conditions and capabilities of your vehicle including a skid pan day out.

This sort of coarse is invaluable in bad conditions

Glad to hear you are OK mate, and from the sounds of it could have been a lot worse.

Worth writing to the council and complaining I would say.

Castle Coombe do skid pan training, I tried to organise a LOC day out there last year but it died a death :crybaby:

Glad to hear you are OK mate, and from the sounds of it could have been a lot worse.

Castle Coombe do skid pan training, I tried to organise a LOC day out there last year but it died a death :crybaby:

That guy with the GTO on Saturday could've done with a few lessons on the skid pan course! :lol::lol::lol:

That guy with the GTO on Saturday could've done with a few lessons on the skid pan course! :lol::lol::lol:

Only if they start him off in a Polo :lol:

MacRS200 said...

"Castle Coombe do skid pan training, I tried to organise a LOC day out there last year but it died a death :crybaby:"

Maybe after all the bad weather and accidents posted up here,people might be more interested in a skid pan day...I did the skid pan day not long after passing my test years ago and i think it was worth its wait in Gold :) Taught car control for FWD and RWD...People dont realise how much a car can slide even at very low speed and how to catch the slide.Theres more to it than just turning into the skid..

http://www.combe-events.co.uk/skidpan.htm

Money Well Spent ;)

As to the GTO guy,he should have been Blacked Flagged :shifty:

chips..

MacRS200 said...

"Castle Coombe do skid pan training, I tried to organise a LOC day out there last year but it died a death :crybaby:"

Maybe after all the bad weather and accidents posted up here,people might be more interested in a skid pan day...I did the skid pan day not long after passing my test years ago and i think it was worth its wait in Gold :) Taught car control for FWD and RWD...People dont realise how much a car can slide even at very low speed and how to catch the slide.Theres more to it than just turning into the skid..

http://www.combe-events.co.uk/skidpan.htm

Money Well Spent ;)

As to the GTO guy,he should have been Blacked Flagged :shifty:

chips..

i'd deffo be interested in a skid pan day!! actually thought about it a few months back.

i wonder if we could get a decent discount if there was a large enough interest???

Got the car checked out today...Appart from all the plants stuck under my car, no real damage.

cross member for the chassis has a small dent in it garage said nothing to worry about,

centre exhaust silencer has a small dent,

tracking is spot on...must have corrected it following that pot hole incident last week.

All i need to do is get a new tyre and do some overtime to make back my £300.

I would be interested in a skid pan day...not only would it be a bit of fun, i can also learn something that i obviously need.

something like this happened to me a while back,scared the crap out of me, as a result im a tortoise at roundabouts.Glad to hear that you and the lady are ok.when you came off the roundabout doing 20-25 was your foot on the gas or was the car slowing.what i mean is did you come off the roundabout increasing to 20-25 or decreasing to 20-25 from a higher speed.im just trying to visualize it

Was increasing in speed but not hard...Had somebody overtaking me at the time, can't think what they must have thought.

Whats a VSC then?

£300 for recovery !!

next time, :blush: ..... i hope there isnt a next time , ring up the AA they do recovery for a flat fee

£110 last time i used them

hope the damage isnt too bad

Had the AA recover me...they only did a local recovery to within 10miles...i then had to get another recovery from that drop off point to home.

VSC is Vehicle Stability Control. IS300 has it but it's not on the IS200 :crybaby:

Glad there wasn't much damage done - could have been a lot worse.

i'd deffo be interested in a skid pan day!! actually thought about it a few months back.

i wonder if we could get a decent discount if there was a large enough interest???

We tried to sort this out last year. But there wasn't enough interest in the end :crybaby:

We tried to sort this out last year. But there wasn't enough interest in the end :crybaby:

maybe we should try again????

how many people do we need to get it off the ground?