Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Oil

So, my oil level is getting to approx 80% of max on the dip stick at cold. Quite good for a diesel, normally a new Diesel engine would have guzzled one litre plus by now. And it's still surprising clear...thought I may as well get some top up oil (just a litre or so).

I wrote down the min spec's :

ACEA B1

API CF or CF-4

API CE or CD

as stated in the manual (page 278/9), and headed off down to my local Halfords...

I knew I needed Fully Synthetic, but I had no note of the what the viscosity of the oil should be. There was a plethora of Castrols, Mobil 1 etc etc, all stating these spec's, but many different visco's - some were 15-40, 0-30, 5-30 etc etc...

Should have read page 279...at the top 5-30 is what you really need...Lexus dealer couldn't tell me what Visco's but recommended I bought Mobil 1 from them, no doubt at a premium price. Jees...! Should have know better!!!!

The engine really does burn less oil than other new diesel engined car I've run in. I am well surprised at how "clear" it still is. And thats after 1700 miles.

PS - the German makers (Audi, BMW and Merc dealers) always gave me 1 litre on handover of a new car...obviously they know they guzzle oil!

So, my oil level is getting to approx 80% of max on the dip stick at cold. Quite good for a diesel, normally a new Diesel engine would have guzzled one litre plus by now. And it's still surprising clear...thought I may as well get some top up oil (just a litre or so).

I wrote down the min spec's :

ACEA B1

API CF or CF-4

API CE or CD

as stated in the manual (page 278/9), and headed off down to my local Halfords...

I knew I needed Fully Synthetic, but I had no note of the what the viscosity of the oil should be. There was a plethora of Castrols, Mobil 1 etc etc, all stating these spec's, but many different visco's - some were 15-40, 0-30, 5-30 etc etc...

Anyway, long story short, called my dealer who (after asking why I was changing the oil myself, and me explaining it's for a top up....) recommended I bought it from them and couldn't tell me the viscosity! And no doubt at Premium prices...

I give up. I suppose I should have known better...my fault I suppose, should have read page 279...at the top 5-30 is what you really need...

The engine really does burn less oil than other new diesel engined car I've run in. I am well surprised at how "clear" it still is. And thats after 1700 miles.

PS - the German makers (Audi, BMW and Merc dealers) always gave you 1 litre on handover of a new car...obviouly then know they guzzle oil!

Cheers for the info, I think I'll get myself a litre to keep in the boot.

Out of interest whats the difference between them.Which is best, or doesn't it matter?:-

ACEA B1

API CF or CF-4

API CE or CD

I have absolutely no idea what these letters mean mate. Having said that the most common one is API CF where I looked...

I'm gonna get the Mobil 1 5-30 Fully Synthetic (will need to check the label again).

Does anyone know what these spec's are and whether as Roonaldo asks one is better than another??

I have absolutely no idea what these letters mean mate. Having said that the most common one is API CF where I looked...

I'm gonna get the Mobil 1 5-30 Fully Synthetic (will need to check the label again).

Does anyone know what these spec's are and whether as Roonaldo asks one is better than another??

I haven't got my handbook in front of me but I do recall one of the selling points of the new IS250 that Lexus were plugging was the fact that as it still adheres to fairly frequent 10k oil change intervals it only needed the cheaper mineral oil, not the expensive full synthetic of the competition - thus reducing ownership costs.

I don't know if this applies to the diesel though. Having said which I don't think you can go wrong with Mobil 1.

I haven't got my handbook in front of me but I do recall one of the selling points of the new IS250 that Lexus were plugging was the fact that as it still adheres to fairly frequent 10k oil change intervals it only needed the cheaper mineral oil, not the expensive full synthetic of the competition - thus reducing ownership costs.

I don't know if this applies to the diesel though. Having said which I don't think you can go wrong with Mobil 1.

Well that's what I thought. No doubt the dealers can make more from you by selling you SuperSynth!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links