Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everybody and merry christmas :) My drivers side door speaker has just blown and i was wondering if anybody knows what they think it would cost to replace and fit.... i only ask because i have asked my local lexus dealer ...gulp £100.oo +vat fitting and £138.00 +vat for a single door speaker !!!!! does this sound about right or are they trying it on???

:unsure:

Merry Christmas

I have the door speakers, in their enclosures, from my GS300-2.

If they are the same as your Mark 1, then I'm open to an offer!!

In any event - £100 for fitting is scandalous - would take about 30 minutes top. And £138 for a single new one is daylight robbery. For a little more than that you could get a pair of something much better! The price that Lexus has quoted you is prolly for a new enclosure too - which you don't need.

PM me if you're interested - if you're local I'll even help you fit it.

Thanks rodders ..i had a sneaky idea that they were trying to rob me........

as for a helping hand i wish i was closer but as i am in the south its a fair way.. Ihave tried to take the door lining of to look although i got all the screw covers off and took out all the screws there was one that i could not work out which was right behind the door handle without any visible way of un-doing it??? If i cant find away of un doing it then i shall take it to a local place that specializes in speaker replacement..( any ideas on who makes the speakers)?

check out the buy and sell forums. There is a one armed bloke breaking a GS300 sport series 1. This had all the speakers in when i went to see it.

Im sure he will do you a good deal. If you cant find it send me a reply and i'll get you his details.

Ps. hes only got one arm cos I bit the other one off when he sold me the bits for mine. fair prices. :)

I am not 100% sure but if the mrk1 speakers are 2ohm as they are in the mrk2 then you will need to replace them with 2 ohm speakers. If you do not then the sound staging will be messed up, most after market speakers are 4ohm but you must have 2ohm inorder to get the power out of the amp.

If you have no luck then pm me as i know some one that can help you.

Beware that most after market streo shop do not have clue about ohm & resistance so pm me if you need advice. ;)

Do not be conned in to replacing the pod inside the door as it is ported through the door card,

I am not 100% sure but if the mrk1 speakers are 2ohm as they are in the mrk2 then you will need to replace them with 2 ohm speakers. If you do not then the sound staging will be messed up, most after market speakers are 4ohm but you must have 2ohm inorder to get the power out of the amp.

If you have no luck then pm me as i know some one that can help you.

Beware that most after market streo shop do not have clue about ohm & resistance so pm me if you need advice. ;)

Do not be conned in to replacing the pod inside the door as it is ported through the door card,

I replaced all my 2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm ones - left the amp and head unit exactly alone and it sounds FANTASTIC - amazing improvement.

With a big of jiggling you can get 6inch speakers in the doors, with a massive sound improvement.

I fitted MB Quart components in the front doors and the tweeters - and Kicker combos in the back.

It is not the fact that you should not do it the fact is that you will put more resistance on the amp and most proberly more powerful speakers so there is no way they are going to be louder they may have increased in quality.

Its a basic sum if you put a 50w speaker on a 50w amp it will be louder than a 100w speaker on a 50w amp.

If you put a 50w 2ohm speaker on a 50w amp it will be louder than a 50w 4ohm speaker on a 50w amp, more resitance on the 4ohm witch in turn means less power, this is why you should not mix 2ohm & 4 ohm speakers on a system that you can not adjust the gains on.

You can get 6.5" speakers in the doors front and rear with no problems at all although you would have a tight sqeez with digital designs DDw6.5 as they are very big for a 6.5"

The lexus standard system sould not be changed enless you are go ing to change

everything including the head unit .

Also the standard GS door pod are ported so the have more out put into the car's cabin so when replacing them you need more power to match the output of the standard door pods.

If you need any info then PM me and i will give you any advice you need .