Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Light

breatheasy

hi lads and girls new to this.so 1 big hello to every1.i just bought a 2000 lexus is200,beautifull car but i have 1 problem when my car on tickover my oil light comes on ,but when i rev it it ,it dosent, any ideas please everything will help am sure ,and is this common and what do i need to do...thx hope to here from you soon :crybaby:

don't see how it can be faulty wiring if the light goes out when the engine speed is increased. I would double check the wiring connector isn't corroded and if not get the oil pressure tested.

ok m8ty sure will thx for the responce....

hi lads and girls new to this.so 1 big hello to every1.i just bought a 2000 lexus is200,beautifull car but i have 1 problem when my car on tickover my oil light comes on ,but when i rev it it ,it dosent, any ideas please everything will help am sure ,and is this common and what do i need to do...thx hope to here from you soon :crybaby:

Hi,

Was the engine oil light lit on idle when you first bought/had the car or since the oil change?

Does the oil light come on when the engines at idle when the engines started from cold or does the oil light only come on when the engines warm?

You say the oils been charged,i take the oil filter was replaced at the same time?

What engine oil grade was used when the oil was changed?

The problem oil light could be anything from,

the wrong oil (to thin)..

like Colin says a faulty connector or faulty oil pressure sensor...

the oil filter not changed just the oil....

worn oil pump.

etc etc.

Chips.

Hi,

Was the engine oil light lit on idle when you first bought/had the car or since the oil change?

Does the oil light come on when the engines at idle when the engines started from cold or does the oil light only come on when the engines warm?

You say the oils been charged,i take the oil filter was replaced at the same time?

What engine oil grade was used when the oil was changed?

The problem oil light could be anything from,

the wrong oil (to thin)..

like Colin says a faulty connector or faulty oil pressure sensor...

the oil filter not changed just the oil....

worn oil pump.

etc etc.

Chips.

never changed oil filter,will do tho thx for that,engine warm comes on wile tickover, goes off when reved..and how can i tell if i need oil pump and how much ,and weres the cheapest place in the uk for oil filter and pump please.and i do apprecita the help me newbie to lexus.its not the oil was doing that before change it..so might be other 2 and were is the oil connector thx..so i can check it...

As Colin says go for the genuine oil filter.

The price of a oil filter will be around £10 to £15 at the most,could be cheaper than £10 :unsure:

As to only changing the oil and not the oil filter as well,that could be the problem.The oil filter could of been on there for ages,alot of garages are abit naughty and just wipe the outside of the oil filter clean..so it looks like its been replaced ;) The oil filter if dirty will reduce the oil pressure around the engine and cause the oil light to come on.

If the oil you replaced in the engine is the wrong type eg..to thin that will make the oil light come on also as it wont be building enough pressure.

When you start the engine from cold thats why the oil light stays off to start with because the oil will be slightly thicker then thins when the engines warm.

Change the oil filter before you do anything else and see if that sorts the oil warning light out.If that dont fix the problem and the right oil is in the engine then think about having the oil pressure checked.Any good garage(dont have to be a lexus dealer)should be able to check the oil pressure..

Hope thats of some help for now.

Chips..

As Colin says go for the genuine oil filter.

The price of a oil filter will be around £10 to £15 at the most,could be cheaper than £10 :unsure:

As to only changing the oil and not the oil filter as well,that could be the problem.The oil filter could of been on there for ages,alot of garages are abit naughty and just wipe the outside of the oil filter clean..so it looks like its been replaced ;) The oil filter if dirty will reduce the oil pressure around the engine and cause the oil light to come on.

If the oil you replaced in the engine is the wrong type eg..to thin that will make the oil light come on also as it wont be building enough pressure.

When you start the engine from cold thats why the oil light stays off to start with because the oil will be slightly thicker then thins when the engines warm.

Change the oil filter before you do anything else and see if that sorts the oil warning light out.If that dont fix the problem and the right oil is in the engine then think about having the oil pressure checked.Any good garage(dont have to be a lexus dealer)should be able to check the oil pressure..

Hope thats of some help for now.

Chips..

thx m8ty will do that now ..the oil i used is Castrol gtx magnatec 10w-40 synthetic engineering..is that any good ..and if not what would you use .it will be a big help thx.. 1 more thing looked about on google,typed in lexus is200 oil filters and got nothing all poo,have you got any links please for the uk ,or any place were i can get 1 would be a great help thx....

Hi,

For your nearest Lexus dealer...

http://www.lexus.co.uk/dealer_finder/dealer_finder.asp

For your nearest Toyota dealer...

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/...skin=Standard01

Chips..

cheers every1 thx for the help, will sort it out this week,,and i will let you no whats going on..i mean it really thx.nice to have some good people for once....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links