Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying A Car At Auction?

The answer in theory is yes because the car will defo not be taxed, the first thing the auction does is have the tax disc for a refund if the owner has not taken it. MOT would be dependent on the car.

For insurance you can call your insurance company and tell them you are going to buy at auction so they have all you details apart from the actual car. Phone with the car details giving their reference once you have bought it and get immediate cover.

It is unlikely that the police would do anything if you get caught and explain the circumstances. Problem is you need to wait for the V5 to come through before you can tax the car.

Alternatively borrow some trade plates if you know someone in the car trade.

Ok.. i am insured to drive other cars 3rd party under my policy, so would that mean it be ok just to drive back home? the car is going to be a cheap run about for a relative..

Don't think it will if you bought the car as you are the owner. Best bet is to take a mate with you has fully comp insurance and he/she will be insured to drive, you will need some one anyway as you will have 2 cars.

You cannot "legally" drive the car or your mate even if they are fully comp because the car HAS to be insured by somebody. Trade plates or Trade policy will cover you.

You can tow it or trailer it. A lot of auction houses will deliver at a cost.

If you get stopped by the police most cops will turn a blind eye at No Tax or MOT when they see that you have the paperwork from the auction but I don't think that they would let you off with no insurance. Ergo if they nick you for no insurance then they will nick you for everything.

B)-->

QUOTE(T7RY B @ May 31 2006, 08:53 PM)

You cannot "legally" drive the car or your mate even if they are fully comp because the car HAS to be insured by somebody. Trade plates or Trade policy will cover you.

You can tow it or trailer it. A lot of auction houses will deliver at a cost.

If you get stopped by the police most cops will turn a blind eye at No Tax or MOT when they see that you have the paperwork from the auction but I don't think that they would let you off with no insurance. Ergo if they nick you for no insurance then they will nick you for everything.

This is what was on my old insurance policy:-

The Insured may also drive for third Party cover (Section 1, of the Insurance) a private motor car not belonging to him/her, not registered to him/her and not hired to him/her under a hire purchase agreement, in respect of which no insurance is afforded to him/her under any other insurance applying to such car.

That tells me that if the car belongs to someone else (in this case a relative) and is registered to someone else (in this case still the former keeper), I'm covered by my own policy ONLY. Any other policy applying to the car doesn't come into play at all.

Strictly speaking, if there's an MOT but no road tax the car can be driven on trade plates, but if there's no MOT it can only be driven to/from a pre-appointed MOT test, under its own plates - NOT the trade plates.

I think your insurance regardless will be void if the car has no MOT, so whilst the police might turn a blind eye, the insurance companies will not.

If you do this it's at your peril, I would play it safe, find out how much the auction house charges for delivery, factor that into your budget and bid away!! It won't be that much in the scheme of things...

PS as Exobex states, I think you can only legally drive the car between pre-appointed MOT stations, unless you book the MOT station on the way home from the auction house...in which case you might be OK, though I still would play it safe, at the end of the day the car your buying has probably not been driven by you before and you have no idea how safe it is....what if the brakes don't work !

The Insured may also drive for third Party cover (Section 1, of the Insurance) a private motor car not belonging to him/her, not registered to him/her and not hired to him/her under a hire purchase agreement, in respect of which no insurance is afforded to him/her under any other insurance applying to such car.

Somebody MUST have a form of cover on this vehicle for this rule to apply.

Otherwise I could have my wife register a Ferrari+Aston Marin +Porsche ALL with NO insurance on them and when I get stopped just say MY insurance "covers" me to drive all these cars 'cos they are not mine.

My insurance is fully comp and it covers me to drive other vehicles (3rd.party)But whichever car that is MUST be insured by somebody.

Otherwise we would all "insure" a metro but drive the "friends" Lexus

Somebody MUST have a form of cover on this vehicle for this rule to apply.

Somebody does. YOU. If you drive it and wrap it round someone else's car, your insurers will pay for the damage to the third party. Not the car you're driving. If the car gets nicked, tough.

The rule specifically voids all other insurance for as long as you're driving the car.