Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Handbrake Adjustmenet

Alfa1

if memory serves me correct

Adjust the handbreak by lifting up the handbreak lever gaiter and then there is a couple of nuts (need 2 x 10mm spanners) loosen off the lock nut...adjust away then tighten up the lock nut, Dont over tighten or your rear breaks may binde.

Would this need to be done after altering the handbrake shoes also? As mine is not too good at the moment. I had to put them back on as they came off with the rear discs. I was going to sort at the weekend but I thought that just lifting and releasing so many times would adjust it?? :duh:

Would this need to be done after altering the handbrake shoes also? As mine is not too good at the moment. I had to put them back on as they came off with the rear discs. I was going to sort at the weekend but I thought that just lifting and releasing so many times would adjust it?? :duh:

Mine has now developed a rubbing / squealing noise, more so when I turn corners so is this just the shoes not adjusted properly rubbing onto the discs. I'll be investigating in the morning

Take the rear wheels off, at about 6 oclock should be a hole in the disc, get thin flat screwdriver and turn the wheel inside the hole(might need light to see inside), also turning the hub to make sure you not done it to much. do the same on the other side.

Take the rear wheels off, at about 6 oclock should be a hole in the disc, get thin flat screwdriver and turn the wheel inside the hole(might need light to see inside), also turning the hub to make sure you not done it to much. do the same on the other side.

Cheers mate :D

That's the way....you shouldn't have to change the shoes unless you've been using the handbrake for anything other than parking :whistling:

Mine has now developed a rubbing / squealing noise, more so when I turn corners so is this just the shoes not adjusted properly rubbing onto the discs. I'll be investigating in the morning

My 200 had the same noise, and I thought it was the pads. Sounded horrendous, especially on corners/roundabouts but it turned out to be just a slight rust build up on the back plate..cleaned it off and bent the plate back slightly and all was well again :winky: . Do both sides while you're at it.

Are you on about the back "shield". That goes around the disc? The old discs seemend pretty rusted on which made it very hard to get them off

Yes, I had the noise before I changed my rear discs and afterwards. I thought it was the pads as I had changed to Mintex just before the rotating noise began, but it wasn't. You should be able to see the rubbing marks, but they'll only be slight...With the noise it was making I thought it would be more obvious.

Are you on about the back "shield". That goes around the disc? The old discs seemend pretty rusted on which made it very hard to get them off

Yes, I had the noise before I changed my rear discs and afterwards. I thought it was the pads as I had changed to Mintex just before the rotating noise began, but it wasn't.

Cheers mate. The noise wasn't there before but I'll certainly look for this in the morning.