Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Picking Interference Up On Custom Headunit

Hi Guys

Recently fitted my own headunit and ran new speaker cable to rear and front speakers. But the problem i have now is im picking up interference whenever i close my mirrors in and also get that annoying mobile phone noise whenever someone is about to ring.

Whats causing this, is it a bad earth, does the headunit need a good earth strap?

Cheers guys :winky:

Its all about the frequencies that the electrics operate on. Unless you use shielded audio leads, you will pick up the interferences. Even then its likely to still have an effect. TV's, home radios, allsorts pick up mobile phone 'beeps', its a fact of life now.

My IS200 has the same problem, but hey, theres only two points on you're journey when you activate the mirrors, the beginning and end, so its not too much of an issue surely!

Better earths may help the situation, but I doubt it. Earths are there to keep the flow of electricity, outside effects (mirrors etc) if using the same or near power frequency as the stereo, have the noise that the flow of electricity generates jump onto the wires of other things (you're audio leads) and is passed on along the line.

Bit of a physics lesson I know, but that's an explanation in a nutshell!

thanks for the reply mike :)

i just dont understand why the lexus radio didnt pick the mobile phone noise up but this radio does, it never used to pick interference up in other cars its been in, gonna try using twisted cores with an overall screen.

Thanks