Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 - Vsc Comming On, On Slight Breaking Corners

Hi all.

Just wanted to know if anybody else is experiencing this.

When I break (slighty) into a bend (around 30 degrees +) in the road, it feels like the Vehicle Stabily/Swere Control (VSC) kicks in and I can still feel the car breaking after I have taken my foot off the break.

I am usually doing speeds around 60 to 80kph (35-50MPH) when this happens.

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Just a quick question - are you assuming the VSC is kicking in or is the light on the dash blinking/on?

If the light is on then it definately is coming on, I don't get this in my 220d however - even with some fairly rapid corners. :blush:

Hi all.

Just wanted to know if anybody else is experiencing this.

When I break (slighty) into a bend (around 30 degrees +) in the road, it feels like the Vehicle Stabily/Swere Control (VSC) kicks in and I can still feel the car breaking after I have taken my foot off the break.

I am usually doing speeds around 60 to 80kph (35-50MPH) when this happens.

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Have you noticed if the revs rise when this 'braking' occurs, I notice that the auto gearbox changes down in similar situations and what you are feeling may be slight engine braking. I expected this to occur with the box in Power mode, but was suprised to find that it also happens in Normal mode. This may not be anything to do with your comments, if so, just ignore :)

Having just read this properly, a 30deg+ bend at 35MPH+ is quite fast. I remember trying to take the infamous M69-M6 bend as fast as I could in my A4 (was in a rush), and the ESP came on well before it lost any traction...

So it could be normal. I know the 3 series and most BMW's DSC system comes on way too early. Manufacturers like it that way as most drivers nowadays are too used to understeer and get caught out badly when the back steps away... :yahoo::hehe:

Another question - I know the VDIM is available on the IS220d Sport only, but does anyone know if the VSC is like ESP? My salesman only commented that the car had Traction control only, which means Vehicle Stability Control is slightly overkill/exaggeration as a term?????

ESP was always far more than just traction - it also killed power to the engine, applied braking as appropriate to each wheel etc. and worked very well except when taking off in ice. I believe VDIM is that plus also steering angle or something...

There are some big errors in the brochure for these...

It shows the new IS has EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution) as standard according to the specs, as well as BAS (Brake Assist) and TRC (Traction Control).

At the top of the specs page it also says the 250 has VSC but not the 220d. :o

At the bottom of the specs page it says the 220d has VSC but not the 250 :blink:

The text version earlier in the booklet says the VSC is standard on all petrol IS's :duh:

The blurb for the VDIM really only says it's the equivalent of the VSC but fitted to the 220d Sport only, it does say about anticipating situations though rather than reacting to them.

Confused? You will be...

There are some big errors in the brochure for these...

It shows the new IS has EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution) as standard according to the specs, as well as BAS (Brake Assist) and TRC (Traction Control).

At the top of the specs page it also says the 250 has VSC but not the 220d. :o

At the bottom of the specs page it says the 220d has VSC but not the 250 :blink:

The text version earlier in the booklet says the VSC is standard on all petrol IS's :duh:

The blurb for the VDIM really only says it's the equivalent of the VSC but fitted to the 220d Sport only, it does say about anticipating situations though rather than reacting to them.

Confused? You will be...

I think it's written this way because the 220D comes with either VSC or VDIM, whereas it's VSC right across the range for the 250s. But yeah, clear as mud! :P

VSC - as explained by the Technology Explorer on the Lexus UK site:

Even the best drivers can get caught out by a bend that tightens unexpectedly - or the need to brake suddenly in mid-corner. Either action can unsettle the balance of the car. That's when VSC steps in to help the driver regain control quickly.

Sensors continuously monitor and cross-reference speed, steering angle, yaw rate and deceleration. The instant the system detects a loss of control, VSC steps in and momentarily dictates the individual braking force sent to each wheel. It also moderates the throttle until the tendency of the front to run wide (understeer), or the rear to break away (oversteer), is corrected.

It's the kind of technology we hope you'll never need. But if you do, you'll be glad it's there.

VDIM is on there too - though once you fight your way through the blurb, the only real difference seems to be it does a bit of steering for you too!

:driving::geek:

So...

ESP is like VSC, but mine definaitely does not have VDIM. It does have TRC. It's also supposed to have VSC... Hmmm...

This sounds like the TLA Enquisition...

Can anyone remember the Handbrake/footbrake sequence to see if the VSC can be switched off? I'll give it a go...something like:

Handbrake up

Press brake pedal thrice

Release handbrake

VSC light on

???

PS just tried it and nothing (unless the sequence is wrong).

And there's no VSC specific light on mine anywhere in the dash which lights up at "Acc1", so I am assuming as you say the 220d/SE/SE-L only has TRC...

And there's no VSC specific light on mine anywhere in the dash which lights up at "Acc1", so I am assuming as you say the 220d/SE/SE-L only has TRC...

Every new IS, whether petrol or diesel, has VSC! The 220D Sport has VDIM in addition to VSC. It's okay - no spinning off the road for you! :hehe:

220D Spec

Got a feeling the VSC light looks like a skidding car....

I've seen the VSC light and I'm pretty sure mine says "VSC".

You get the car skidding light when you're in the brown stuff :D and if I remember rightly my IS300 also used to beep at me - like I needed to know that I'd lost control of the car :D :D

I've seen the VSC light and I'm pretty sure mine says "VSC".

You get the car skidding light when you're in the brown stuff :D and if I remember rightly my IS300 also used to beep at me - like I needed to know that I'd lost control of the car :D :D

I think if the yellow VSC light flashes that means the traction control is operating and some power is being cut to one of the driven wheels - like when you pull out of a junction quickly. If the VSC light flashes and beeps then the whole VSC system has been actuated. That seems to be my experience anyway.

I think if the yellow VSC light flashes that means the traction control is operating and some power is being cut to one of the driven wheels - like when you pull out of a junction quickly. If the VSC light flashes and beeps then the whole VSC system has been actuated. That seems to be my experience anyway.

I agree with the above. A friend of mine has a long drive that is all gravel and has a couple of sharp bends in it with flat grass as a run off, an obvious place to test a VSC system. Outcome, if the traction control ONLY is working the light on the dash flashes but if the VSC system cuts in (usually on the bends) it also BEEPS very fast and loud as well as the TRC light coming on. Hope this helps.

Is the system good enough to stop the back end kicking out if you put on too-much power at the wrong part of a corner?

I'm not too sure what you mean by the "wrong part" but I deliberately went into it too fast (not excessively maybe 10-15mph) and it took me around, it felt a little like I was on ice. I didn’t actually apply power in the middle of the bend but I did on the exit before it had completely straightened and it worked fine.

Hmmm........Interesting.

I am fairly sure the wigly lines light is for traction control. It will cut power as well.

I haven't seen any lights come on or heard any beeping sounds when I have noticed the braking. It seems to only happen or the bend when I break first (some slow gits in front of me). If I take the bend at the same speed and I don't use the break, then the car just continues as normal.

Will try again today and see if any lights show up on the dash.

Hmmm........Interesting.

I am fairly sure the wigly lines light is for traction control. It will cut power as well.

I haven't seen any lights come on or heard any beeping sounds when I have noticed the braking. It seems to only happen or the bend when I break first (some slow gits in front of me). If I take the bend at the same speed and I don't use the break, then the car just continues as normal.

Will try again today and see if any lights show up on the dash.

There's a bit of quiet dual carriageway with a roundabout on a new industrial estate near me. In the evenings there is no traffic and a couple of times I've deliberately put the power on early coming off the roundabout causing the back end to break out. In those situations the yellow traction control light flashes and there is a loud beeping. The touble is you instinctively flick the steering into the skid to catch the back end so you're never sure if its you that has brought the car back under control or the VSC. Second time I did it I was with my missus and got a handbag round my head for the trouble, which actually is a far more effective form of vehicle control system.

Second time I did it I was with my missus and got a handbag round my head for the trouble, which actually is a far more effective form of vehicle control system.

:lol: :lol: I know what you mean there!

Ya it's not like the car was out of control at any stage..... but they just don't believe us :whistling:

I'd have preferred a handbag to having the Handbrake pulled up :ohmy: ..... had a serious talk about why that is a bad idea ... and if i promise not to stretch the cars grip level , she promised never to touch the handbrake ever again.... :lol: