Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is22d And Is250 One Month On

HI

Having now had one of each for a month I have found as few interesting points. The ride on the diesel is softer and feels more poised. Both have Bridgestone tyres same pressure etc Could this be due to the weight of the engine , gearbox etc affectin the cg? I have had an IS250 courtesy car, and it is the same as mine.

Another point ..both cars on a run from London to Notts at the same time of day etc the petrol gets 41.8 mph and the oil burner 44.5 Hardly seems worth while changing gears for such a small improvement! So unless( like ours) it was a business purchase the petrol seems to make better sense!

Still I enjoy driving both and would find it hard to choose between the two

alan

HI

Having now had one of each for a month I have found as few interesting points. The ride on the diesel is softer and feels more poised. Both have Bridgestone tyres same pressure etc Could this be due to the weight of the engine , gearbox etc affectin the cg? I have had an IS250 courtesy car, and it is the same as mine.

Another point ..both cars on a run from London to Notts at the same time of day etc the petrol gets 41.8 mph and the oil burner 44.5 Hardly seems worth while changing gears for such a small improvement! So unless( like ours) it was a business purchase the petrol seems to make better sense!

alan

That old economy chestnut...I'd probably go for the 250 auto given a 2nd chance, though it is too refined...

IF my 250 auto returned more than 30 mpg it would be a cause for celebration. On a long run I might get near it, but only if I stick it on cruise.

HI

alan

That old economy chestnut...I'd probably go for the 250 auto given a 2nd chance, though it is too refined...

What I need to know is how the 250 is when it comes to overtaking, is it as much fun as the 220 with it's turbo ? Alan, what's your view ?

I'm getting 34 plus from my IS250, well pleased. Overtaking is phenominal. When I really want to go for it I just shift the auto stick over to the right ( it usually lights upa as 4th ) and floor it and the overtaking is so quick it suprises me ( and I guess others !! ).

My second tankfull in my Diesel Sport has averaged 42mpg. Thats over 2 mpg more than the quoted combined figure, so i'm well pleased :winky:

I'm also very impressed with the acceleration in 3rd and 4th from about 2000 rpm. Its awesome.

I've never driven the 250 auto, I'm sure is silky smooth, but personally I don't think I could be happier than I already am with my diesel.

I'm getting 34 plus from my IS250, well pleased. Overtaking is phenominal. When I really want to go for it I just shift the auto stick over to the right ( it usually lights upa as 4th ) and floor it and the overtaking is so quick it suprises me ( and I guess others !! ).

I quite agree both have great overtaking ability ..prefer the petrol for smooth power delivery

alan

I quite agree both have great overtaking ability ..prefer the petrol for smooth power delivery

alan

That's the thing with the Petrol/auto, it is just so smooth, and if you like that sort of thing it's incredible, especially in a small exec.

The diesel on the other hand seems to give more feel. I did a 250 mile round trip yesterday, filled up on the way out of Leicester, and averaged 45.2 mpg, this included the swift exceution of a fair few "overtaking" opportunities on some A roads and motorways. Made me smile a few times...

For a change I didn't use Cruise, and wasn't driving gently at all. In my old A4, if you floored it the guy behind you couldn't see a thing 'cos of the soot...this one never seems to smoke at all....

The car feels well run in at 2000 miles, and has loosened up considerably. 1st to 2nd is best if you take 1st to 3000rpm/18-20mph. It's also easier to drive from 15-18mph in 3rd, and now 4th at 30mph though the response is leisurely. In the Petrol you can actually stick it into 5th at 30 mph and it's still responsive, but I could never get a manual petrol to over 22-3 MPG in pure town no matter how hard I tried.

My diesel now manages high 20's in town. This is not brilliant by any means, as I still think any diesel with 4 cylinders in this category should be engineered to provide the best in terms of economy and performance and 30plus regularly is expected by most drivers in this field.

I still think Lexus tried too hard in making it the fastest (greatest BHP and huge turbo) and the most economical (hugely tall gearing), and to some degree failed both :crying: When they did the official tests for the Co2 etc, they must have got the best possible the car could give...I suppose this is where the Sport gives a better balance...still not tried one...maybe on Thursday!! :winky:

PS - Still a great car to drive...no real regrets buying one, though I have a small rattle from the B post drivers side!

alan

That's the thing with the Petrol/auto, it is just so smooth, and if you like that sort of thing it's incredible, especially in a small exec.

The diesel on the other hand seems to give more feel. I did a 250 mile round trip yesterday, filled up on the way out of Leicester, and averaged 45.2 mpg, this included the swift exceution of a fair few "overtaking" opportunities on some A roads and motorways. Made me smile a few times...

For a change I didn't use Cruise, and wasn't driving gently at all. In my old A4, if you floored it the guy behind you couldn't see a thing 'cos of the soot...this one never seems to smoke at all....

The car feels well run in at 2000 miles, and has loosened up considerably. 1st to 2nd is best if you take 1st to 3000rpm/18-20mph. It's also easier to drive from 15-18mph in 3rd, and now 4th at 30mph though the response is leisurely. In the Petrol you can actually stick it into 5th at 30 mph and it's still responsive, but I could never get a manual petrol to over 22-3 MPG in pure town no matter how hard I tried.

My diesel now manages high 20's in town. This is not brilliant by any means, as I still think any diesel with 4 cylinders in this category should be engineered to provide the best in terms of economy and performance and 30plus regularly is expected by most drivers in this field.

I still think Lexus tried too hard in making it the fastest (greatest BHP and huge turbo) and the most economical (hugely tall gearing), and to some degree failed both :crying: When they did the official tests for the Co2 etc, they must have got the best possible the car could give...I suppose this is where the Sport gives a better balance...still not tried one...maybe on Thursday!! :winky:

PS - Still a great car to drive...no real regrets buying one, though I have a small rattle from the B post drivers side!

Great summary puts the IS220d in a nut shell! I also have new b post rattle but it is easily fixed( I am told) with just taking the trim off some more insulation and an adjustment on the catch. The passenger side one I had is gone and has not come back!!

alan

I have my IS250 back from the dealers after fixing a few rattles and squeaky seat.

Squeaky seat is gone but not sure what they did. Didn't ask, just wanted my car back.

Rattles were not completely gone and since the weather has warmed up dash is creaking, especially around the sat nav, rattle from either passenger side pillar or seat and centre right fan direction adjustment has fallen off. I have managed to put it back on but the clip is not catching correctly.

Getting less and less impressed with the build quality.

Door handles also creak if you grip them hard and section of door where window switches are and the centre console creak if you lean your leg against them.

Centre consol also creaks when you open the ashtray.

This does not happen on any Volvo's/BMW/Mercedes I have sat in.

Engine also seems to have become slightly more noisy since weather has warmed up. The opposite of what I expected. :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

I really don't want the hassle of taking it back to the dealer again and again.

Why is it I have problems with every single thing I buy! Am i just being too picky?

I have my IS250 back from the dealers after fixing a few rattles and squeaky seat.

I really don't want the hassle of taking it baqck to the dealer again and again.

Why is it I have problems with every single thing I buy! Am i just being too picky?

This was never a problem on my IS200 or IS300. My IS220d collects rattles depending on weather conditions, and road surfaces. To be honest, I don't have the time to keep going back to the dealers so for the moment I just thump various parts of the dash and turn the music up loudly - so glad I got the ML.

On a side note, my seat cooler is still playing up. Some days I get a really nice blast of cold air and other days nothing. I'm trying to figure out if it's due to combination of air con off/on/auto or some sort of sensor in the cabin. Also I've never noticed it doing the back of the seat, only between meh legs :winky:

I really don't want the hassle of taking it baqck to the dealer again and again.

...I've never noticed it doing the back of the seat, only between meh legs :winky:

:lol::lol:

Same here....I find it takes a few seconds to really crank up, and in this weather it's a good feature.

Arkanoid - it's not just you - everything I buy is broken. I feel there is a conspiracy against me! I'm becoming Victor Meldrew as each year piles on.... :lol:

But as that car advert says "...it's only a car...."

PS - no you're not picky...you should expect to get something good at this price...which on the whole it is....and the grill on mine creaks when you wash it...I think I've warn it down with all that polish...

I ahve to say that so far im impressed with the fuel and other things

but the car is so boring.

i have had 4 200 sports so far and 2 RX300's and the 250 is just so boring.

I have a 250 sport and it handles really badly very nervous i have done all the usual checks and cant find anything wrong.

the dealer is not interested after i went mad when they smashed me satnav screen......

if i could get me money back i would...

Oh and me dash creaks and the drivers seat. and the boot lid is a ******* fit. 30k what a waste of money.

Anyone else agree it's a waste of money?

Not me, I like mine. Not the most exciting drive but v nice place to be. I haven't had any build issues however so that might have swayed my judgment. I loved my last car until it started to go wrong and then hated it for the remainder of the three years I had to keep it!!!

Anyone else agree it's a waste of money?

Not me, I like mine. Not the most exciting drive but v nice place to be. I haven't had any build issues however so that might have swayed my judgment. I loved my last car until it started to go wrong and then hated it for the remainder of the three years I had to keep it!!!

So that'll be for 12 years before you hate it... :lol:

Mine has gone wrong but I still love it...mind you I saved up for 3 years for it, so I don't have a choice...The only bit I would change is the inconsistent dealer experience...so far not as good as I hoped, though it's much better now. They recognise me as I walk in...and know me by name...WOW!

It is very different to the IS200. A totally different and more refined beastie. I think that's why people find it boring...

But if you think this is boring, go and drive the equivalent 3 series... :lol: Most unmemorable experience I have in my memory... :winky:

I ahve to say that so far im impressed with the fuel and other things

but the car is so boring.

i have had 4 200 sports so far and 2 RX300's and the 250 is just so boring.

I have a 250 sport and it handles really badly very nervous i have done all the usual checks and cant find anything wrong.

the dealer is not interested after i went mad when they smashed me satnav screen......

if i could get me money back i would...

Oh and me dash creaks and the drivers seat. and the boot lid is a ******* fit. 30k what a waste of money.

Hi

Has the dealer not fixed the problems also the satnav..that sounds appaling.. Have you taken any action to get the car sorted we have 2 and the newer build diesel has been A1 I would not buy from our local dealer but the service dept are VERY helpful

alan