Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My series II GS has developed a bit of a 'clunk' when I turn the wheel - even if I just wobble it a bit when it's stationary. I took it to the dealer who replaced the lower ball joints (which the said were worn and an independent garage had also had a look at) - although to be fair they didn't say it would cure the clunk.

Anyway, it's still there - although Lexus say the suspension's fine. The independent reckoned there was some play in the upper ball joints but the dealer reckoned not.

It seems to be worse when the weather's hot, but then that could just be coincidence..

Any ideas what it might be? I really hope it's nothing expensive!

Check the drop links and also check the top suspension mount plate (the one with3 bolts in at the top of your wing) very rare this goes but that was the problem on mine.

Replaced top plate and problem cured.

Lexus didn't detect it but a mate at a garage said after everything else thats what it could be and he was right.

Not expensive and easy job.

My series II GS has developed a bit of a 'clunk' when I turn the wheel - even if I just wobble it a bit when it's stationary. I took it to the dealer who replaced the lower ball joints (which the said were worn and an independent garage had also had a look at) - although to be fair they didn't say it would cure the clunk.

Anyway, it's still there - although Lexus say the suspension's fine. The independent reckoned there was some play in the upper ball joints but the dealer reckoned not.

It seems to be worse when the weather's hot, but then that could just be coincidence..

Any ideas what it might be? I really hope it's nothing expensive!

im suffering with the same problem on my IS, when i read your post i intially thought ball joints but as you have had them replaced i dont know. Could it be a faluty ball joint that was fitted? ive read on this forum that that was the case when they had their ball joints replaced.

out of interest how much did it cost for the ball joints to be replaced? im sure mine need replacing but im waiting until my MOT next week,so im not 100%sure what it is until then

Thanks for the suggestions!

The joints were replaced for 'parts only' - I'd had problems with the handling of the car since I got it and took it back on a few occasions where they couldn't find anything wrong - and on the service a few months after the warranty expired they reported that the lower ball joints were worn. I was obviously a little dischuffed and they agreed a deal on the replacement. The parts are about 65(ish) each from memory.

I'd wondered about the shocks too - although they seem alright generally, no bouncing and they appear to dampen properly when I've tried 'bouncing' each corner - also it does it when the car's stationary, which I reckon points to a mounting or linkage of some sort.

I'll have a look at the plate though - how would I be able to tell if it was worn?