Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Private Registration Number

Hi guy's iv'e been looking recently at buying a private reg plate which iv'e found the one I wan't at the right price.

But my question is does anyone know how much it will cost me to retain the old Reg Plate for when the time comes to sell up obviousley any buyer won't want my personal plate on it.

Ive tried to call My local DVLA office yesturday but with no joy

Reg Transfers could not tell me either apparently it depends on the plate you have :huh::huh:

Cheers

£80 to transfer then £25 per year to retain it on a retention certificate.

If you plan to retain it for a few years then it is cheaper to put it on another car. Your wifes or a member of your family. That way you don't pay £25 per year.

That is why you see some old vans with good private reg. No.s on them because it's cheaper to do it that way.

If the plate you have on now is just an ordinary plate then don't keep it.

Before you sell the car tell DVLA that you want to take your private reg. off and they will issue you a new number or give the original one back to you.

Also try this link.

FAQ on cherished No.s.

DVLA FAQ

Why would you want to retain your old non personalised plate?

If you come to sell it, go through the paperwork of removing the personalised one and retaining it, and the DVLA will just issue you with a standard plate. this will probably be the same one that was removed anyway.

I had a car a couple of years back with a private plate, it was on there for a couple of years or more. When i eventually sold the private plate, I got issued with the original that was on it before, by the DVLA, I hadn't had that on rentention or anything.

when you put your new plate on tell the DVLA you wish to retain it on the system (no fee) and it will not be issued they put a note against it on the system.

i have just swooped mine back on my old car and they kept my old plate for 17 years

also tell your insurance people that you want to retain the plate if the car gets stolen otherwise if you have paid £5k>£10K for the plate when the insurance pays you out the plate is theres

hope this helps

Ade :P

Roonaldo

But when I sell this the car I would probably want to transfer the private plate to any new vehicle and that would leave the current car without any plates Wouldn't it???? and nobody would buy a car with no plates

I'me getting conflicting comments either do I or do not pay to keep the old plates on the system or otherwise???

I've still been trying to get hold of my local DVLA office to clear this up but thanks for your input anyhow

If you come to sell it, go through the paperwork of removing the personalised one and retaining it, and the DVLA will just issue you with a standard plate. this will probably be the same one that was removed anyway.

I had a car a couple of years back with a private plate, it was on there for a couple of years or more. When i eventually sold the private plate, I got issued with the original that was on it before, by the DVLA, I hadn't had that on rentention or anything.

If the plates that are already on the car are of no importance then do NOT keep them.

Just put your new "private plate" onto the car.

When you come to sell the car tell DVLA that you are taking off your "private plate"

They will issue you with a new plate.

Either your old number if they still have it (most likely) or a new plate of the same year as your car was registered.

And will they charge to issue a new plate?

B)-->

QUOTE(T7RY B @ Jun 5 2006, 05:57 PM)

If the plates that are already on the car are of no importance then do NOT keep them.

When you come to sell the car tell DVLA that you are taking off your "private plate"

Either your old number if they still have it (most likely) or a new plate of the same year as your car was registered.

B)-->

just a little input

its worth keeping your old number, if you have any service books or stuff relating to it

my service book has my original number written over it, just might save the hassle of explaining to a new owner

B)-->

Exactly

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T7RY B @ Jun 5 2006, 05:57 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

just a little input

its worth keeping your old number, if you have any service books or stuff relating to it

my service book has my original number written over it, just might save the hassle of explaining to a new owner

Your MOT certificate will show the change of reg.No. to private plate No.

Also your VIN No. will be in your service book and on all MOT's.

When selling the car on point this out to perspective buyer.

And will they charge to issue a new plate?

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T7RY B @ Jun 5 2006, 05:57 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

When you come to sell your car you will have to pay the transfer fee of £80 to move the private plate to another vehicle or £105 to keep the plate on a retention certificate.

:D :D

Im sure they re-issue you with the original plate that was on the car.

Im sure they re-issue you with the original plate that was on the car.

They do. I have bought two cars in the last year, both of which had private plates on with the previous owner. In both cases the DVLA simply re-assigned the original number. In one case i then transferred my own private plate to the car. I am quite sure that if I sell it they will re-assign the original number. Your own transfer docs and MOTwill show exactly what happened regarding the original number and the lexus Garage will have a record of the services in what ever number was on it at the time. Don't waste your money on a retention unless the original number has itself some intrinsic value that you can sell.