Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok guys, I'm all ears, what do I have to do to change the cambelt on a Mk1 (1997 P) GS300se Auto

Anyone care to enighten me on the procedure?

I'm pretty mechanically minded but wondered if there was anything I need to look out for and what if any torque settings need adhering to blah! blah!

Pics would be nice or schematics.

:duh:

PS: could there be any damage to the engine?

I drove the car approx 500yds after the power steering went - talk about heavy, good job I'm a big chap, so I suspect thats when the cambelt snapped

Ok guys, I'm all ears, what do I have to do to change the cambelt on a Mk1 (1997 P) GS300se Auto

I'm pretty mechanically minded but wondered if there was anything I need to look out for and what if any torque settings need adhering to blah! blah!

I drove the car approx 500yds after the power steering went - talk about heavy, good job I'm a big chap, so I suspect thats when the cambelt snapped

Have a look here, it's for the turbo lump, but belt is identical.

http://mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/timing_bel...ment/index.html

The 2jz is a non-interference engine (well I know the gte is) unless it's had mad cams fitted, so you should be fine.

Have a look here, it's for the turbo lump, but belt is identical.

http://mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/timing_bel...ment/index.html

The 2jz is a non-interference engine (well I know the gte is) unless it's had mad cams fitted, so you should be fine.

Thanks for the link Aristo, the images are very poor but just about readable, they have made the mistake of using the .jpg image format instead of the gif format. Using gif would make the files smaller so they could make the images bigger and the text wouldn't have the pixelation around it and would make it readable.

jpg is for graduated colors, gif is for blocks of colours. even so I have gleaned from the images that it's not the cambelt that has snapped, its the Driver/Auxillary Belt that has snapped which is most definitely the lesser of the two evils.

But thanks anyway

Thanks for the image lesson, but if you click on the page twice, it enlarges to the full size page :eerrrmm:

No problem aristo... I know, I clicked (excuse the pun) onto that one after the post lol! thats how I found out it wasn't the cambelt, talk about relief. A lot of people make the jpg over gif mistake. I try to educate but most people don't really care. I think if you're going to put an image up at least make it good quality... anyway I'm waffling; enough of that.

I have a top guy on the car as we speak, I could probably do it myself but this guy knows what he's doing and I'd rather it be done right and quickly. Fortunately I didn't sell the Merc and just insured it for 3 days at Norwich Union for £25 not bad I thought.

PS: whats with the Aristo? is it like a Brabus for lexus?

PS: whats with the Aristo? is it like a Brabus for lexus?

Brabus.......mmmmmmmm, unfortunately not.

The Aristo was only available in Japan, it is the Lexus GS300 body with the 2JZ-GTE engine (as found in the Twin Turbo MKIV Supra) and badged Toyota Aristo.

Follow up... The Belt tensioner for the drive belt seized up and snapped it :crybaby: so I it was off to Lexus at Notts to purchase a belt tensioner and drive belt. It came in at Approx £148 inc the Gold card discount, which they let me have even though I didn't have the card at that time but I had purchased the gold membership, so hats off to notts, also the staff couldn't have been nicer.

Everything was all fitted for £30, so the Mansfield Lexus posse is up and about again. If ya see me say hello lol