Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Legal Experts

IanF

I pick my new car up on Saturday afternoon - it's got no tax, and due to the pre-historic opening hours of the post-office, I can't get it taxed until Monday.

I guess I'm OK driving it home from the garage, but how do I stand driving it for the rest of the weekend? I'm worried about ANPR cameras firing fines out left right and centre as I drive down the motorway

Cheers

Ian

If its not taxed you can't drive it

The Seller providing its a recodnised garage has the power to Tax it for you they don't always need the same documents you and I would (it would go under there company Tax etc)

If not ask them to send you the relevant documents plus a cover note from your insurance company you can tax it b4 you pick it up.

I pick my new car up on Saturday afternoon - it's got no tax, and due to the pre-historic opening hours of the post-office, I can't get it taxed until Monday.

I guess I'm OK driving it home from the garage, but how do I stand driving it for the rest of the weekend? I'm worried about ANPR cameras firing fines out left right and centre as I drive down the motorway

Cheers

Ian

If you tax it on Monday morning then you have "back taxed" it to the 1st. of June.

It's not like driving with no insurance or MOT and is not an endorsable offence.

I would drive the car for 48 hours without tax under those circumstances.

But as G.W says I would put pressure on the garage to tax it for you.

B)-->

QUOTE(T7RY B @ Jun 6 2006, 01:23 AM)

If you tax it on Monday morning then you have "back taxed" it to the 1st. of June.

It's not like driving with no insurance or MOT and is not an endorsable offence.

If you don't have tax, you CANNOT drive your car, without taking the risk. There is no period of grace allowed. There are two offences - driving without a vaild tax disc and driving without displaying a valid tax disc.

Its up to you. :-)

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T7RY B @ Jun 6 2006, 01:23 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

If you don't have tax, you CANNOT drive your car, without taking the risk. There is no period of grace allowed. There are two offences - driving without a vaild tax disc and driving without displaying a valid tax disc.

i'm not legal expert, but like gib says you cannot legally drive your car without taking the risk. Why risk driving without tax, should you choose to do so, you are leaving yourself open to all sorts of offences.

just isn't worth it.

........... ^ ;)

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T7RY B @ Jun 6 2006, 01:23 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

You CAN drive your car without tax. To be MOT tested and back from the MOT station.

You CAN drive your car without tax. To be MOT tested and back from the MOT station.

Yes, but it must be a PREARRANGED booking.

There is no defence other than that. Sections 29 and 33 Vehicle Excise Registration Act 1994 apply.

So if you've bought your car without tax and drive it onto a public road, until you get round to buying the tax disc, you have committed an offence. If you don't get caught then fine.........

Nowadays. there is a legal obligation to declare SORN if your vehicle is off the road. A vehicle either has to be taxed, or SORN has to be declared.

So if SORN has not been declared, the DVLA knows when a vehicle is not taxed, and can conclude that the registered owner is thereby breaking the law.

Whether the DVLA will follow up such cases when a vehicle is not taxed for a few days who knows, but technically they could.

Better to have a tax disc! (excluding the "going for a pre-booked MOT" case)

IanB :D

The car is now at a garage, and effectively not owned by anybody - the old owner has sold it to the garage and un-registered themselves, but it won't be re-registered to me until I take formal ownership on Saturday.

I fully intend to get it taxed ASAP, but what if the post office is closed, and I physically can't do it?

If fact, I'm going to pick it up early on Saturday, and go to the nearest post office on the way home - that way I'll only be driving it for 10 mins and 10 miles untaxed - and that's a risk I'm happy with. :)

You may be happy with the 10 minute drive, but are you happy with the fact that the police now have the power to sieze and destroy any untaxed vehicle found on a public road.

Why take the risk. Just leave it on the forecourt until you get the tax. There are many post offices open on a Saturday now.

You may be happy with the 10 minute drive, but are you happy with the fact that the police now have the power to sieze and destroy any untaxed vehicle found on a public road.

Why take the risk. Just leave it on the forecourt until you get the tax. There are many post offices open on a Saturday now.

I am - because obviously unlike you, I don't believe that I live in a nazi police state.

What police officer is going to destory a car that I can prove I have bought 10 minutes previously, and show that I am on my way directly to the nearest post office to buy a tax disc?

I'm more concerned at robot ANPR cameras firing out fines - and I doubt there are many on the back roads of Sussex.

Go for it Ian I would.

*****! what bloody cop would nick you after showing all your doc's.

The Police don't nick you for no tax. They report you then if told to they prosecute.

You will be "back taxing" it to the 1st. of June.

Go and pick your car up and enjoy.

Fair enough. If you are happy to drive illegaly, then go for it. Just don`t have an accident. I`d check your insurance policy. You may not be insured. Why not just pick up the tax disk before getting the car?

You can't tax it before you own it.

You need to produce the V5 in your name, along with the insurance and MOT

just drive it !

cameras dont catch tax evaders :D

england are playing so all the police will be on duty wherever there is a tv

insurance will still be valid

if you buy the tax on monday its backdated to the begining of the month, so in theory you will be taxed on saturday if you buy it on the monday :D

england are playing so all the police will be on duty wherever there is a tv

I didn't think it through when I said I'd collect it on Saturday :D :D

I should get home for the 2nd half anyway