Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heated Widnscreen On Is200

As I just picked up a stone chip on the windscreen this morning, it got me thinking about whether it is possible to fit a heated windscreeen as a replacement to the IS200?

Does any such windscreen exist? Lexus or third party? Anyone done this? I know they are expensive but I think it would be great to have during winter.

The IS does have a heated screen, well the SE and Sport.

But it is a band at the bottom of the screen where the wipers are.

If you are thinking along the lines of the Ford style "Quick Clear" screens, i believe they are only ford fit.

If you are thinking along the lines of the Ford style "Quick Clear" screens, i believe they are only ford fit.

I assume the band at the bottom you are talking about is to un-freeze the wipers or something like that - does this come on with the rear-winder heater thing or what?

And, yes I am thinking along the lines of "quick clear" screens, and you can get them in plenty of vehicles nowadays, not just fords. Just wondered if any glass manufacturers were doing them for vehicles where they are not an original option.

Also remember if you have a standalone Sat Nav sysytem some of theese are not up to the job with quick clear windscreens

(interferance or something)

I assume the band at the bottom you are talking about is to un-freeze the wipers or something like that - does this come on with the rear-winder heater thing or what?

And, yes I am thinking along the lines of "quick clear" screens, and you can get them in plenty of vehicles nowadays, not just fords. Just wondered if any glass manufacturers were doing them for vehicles where they are not an original option.

Also remember if you have a standalone Sat Nav sysytem some of theese are not up to the job with quick clear windscreens

(interferance or something)

No sure about that. I used Tomtom (PDA and Mobile 5) with seperate GPS receiver in a Focus Ghia with Quickclear and it was no problem..

I think there is a problem with receivers if the windscreen has the heated coated (like what you might find on a renault) because the glass acts a reflector to so thay have a small area at the base of the screen thats not coated !!!

I think you will find that FORD hold the patent to these screens and the other "car makes" you see with this feature are part of the FORD "family"

I haven't owned my IS200 through the winter yet but have been told the the "wiper heaters" do a good job of clearing the front windscreen (and it comes on with the rear window heater)

I think you will find that FORD hold the patent to these screens and the other "car makes" you see with this feature are part of the FORD "family"

I haven't owned my IS200 through the winter yet but have been told the the "wiper heaters" do a good job of clearing the front windscreen (and it comes on with the rear window heater)

In my experience the wiper heaters do not clear the screen. They only help the wipers unstick from the screen after a few minutes.

Only way to clear the screen after car parked outside on a hard frosty night, is to set controls to demist with AC on and run the engine for 3-5 minutes. If you had the AC on before stopping the engine it makes it worse, since the screen momentarily steams up and freezes onto the inside of the screen. If it makes you feel any better, my last car (a BMW 330) was just as bad :o

My wife's Focus is great, less than a minute and she can drive away! I never could understand how Ford were able to patent this, unlike rear screen heaters. Crazy :blink:

IanB :D