Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Satnav Tmc And Traffic Avoidance

.....on Tuesday I had a trip in my IS to Berkshire. Due to works at the J21 M1 roundabout I switched "her" on and took the A6 south, A14 and A43. I was planning to stay on the A43 until the M40 and then head down it.

On the way, as I got through Northampton on the A43/5 the TMC sprang into life and insisted that I avoided the A45. I ignored it and sailed through no problems. :excl:

It then insisted that I turned onto the M1 and headed south 'cos of apparent "traffic congest". Begrudgingly I did...only to realise that this was going to add a further 30 minutes to my journey plus, and I know how bad the M1 can get very quickly. :o

So I went to J14 and turned back, :duh: and headed up the M1 and down the A43.

No "Traffic congest" anywhere :blink: to be seen and added several unecessary miles to my journey and lost time.

This has happened several times both on this unit and the one that was replaced and I'm losing confidence :shutit:

Every time that it asks for a re-route I now use Vodaphone AA Traffic Road Watch (2222) to back it up...and guess what? 9/10 AA is correct and this is not... :crybaby:

How are other people fairing? :unsure:

PS - the obvious thing here is that you'll think it's fine unless you challenge it....

.....on Tuesday I had a trip in my IS to Berkshire. Due to works at the J21 M1 roundabout I switched "her" on and took the A6 south, A14 and A43. I was planning to stay on the A43 until the M40 and then head down it.

On the way, as I got through Northampton on the A43/5 the TMC sprang into life and insisted that I avoided the A45. I ignored it and sailed through no problems. :excl:

It then insisted that I turned onto the M1 and headed south 'cos of apparent "traffic congest". Begrudgingly I did...only to realise that this was going to add a further 30 minutes to my journey plus, and I know how bad the M1 can get very quickly. :o

So I went to J14 and turned back, :duh: and headed up the M1 and down the A43.

No "Traffic congest" anywhere :blink: to be seen and added several unecessary miles to my journey and lost time.

This has happened several times both on this unit and the one that was replaced and I'm losing confidence :shutit:

Every time that it asks for a re-route I now use Vodaphone AA Traffic Road Watch (2222) to back it up...and guess what? 9/10 AA is correct and this is not... :crybaby:

How are other people fairing? :unsure:

PS - the obvious thing here is that you'll think it's fine unless you challenge it....

I suppose it's only as good as the data fed into it.

Garbage in/Garbage out

What can be expected from a free service.

I must add it's helped me out a couple of times!

Edited by Arkanoid

I think it's wonderful. Used about four times with 100% success rate - mostly a34, m3, m27.

I looked at the map today (Collins Toad Atlas 2005) :o ) to see what route it was trying to take me down. It would taken me in a much "as the crow flies" route from J14, but all A roads...so may be it was trying to reroute me...

Scott - have you ever "disobeyed her" (SATNAV that is, not the wife... :winky: ) and gone stratight into the traffic congestion to see if it actually exists? That's where I think mine is barmy, because on the few occasions that I have headed for the congestion I have actually been better off...

I think it's wonderful. Used about four times with 100% success rate - mostly a34, m3, m27.

I looked at the map today (Collins Toad Atlas 2005) :o ) to see what route it was trying to take me down. It would taken me in a much "as the crow flies" route from J14, but all A roads...so may be it was trying to reroute me...

Scott - have you ever "disobeyed her" (SATNAV that is, not the wife... :winky: ) and gone stratight into the traffic congestion to see if it actually exists? That's where I think mine is barmy, because on the few occasions that I have headed for the congestion I have actually been better off...

Back in the days when I had to travel across Dublin city to get to and from work I used to always head in the direction that the radio said there was a traffic jam. My theory was that if everyone was getting the same traffic report as me then they were all heading the other route and the jam should clear quickly while a jam formed in the other direction.