Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Laptop Recommendations

R1nG@

My parents are moving to Spain shortly and want to change their PC before they go so I can set it up and show him the new stuff he needs to know cos I wont be there to get him out of trouble!!!

He's asked whether a laptop would be worth getting, and after looking at prices/specs it seems that you pay a premium for a laptop. I've never bought a laptop, only desktops.

Can anyone fill me in with regards to best processors to go for, spec in general really.

Only wanna spend around £600-£650 all in.

I've looked at Dell Inspirons but really have nothing to compare to with regards to reliability etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers :winky:

Matt

Been using mac's since being converted a few years ago, and now on my 3rd and think they are great.

if you think that the new ones are a bit above your budget, look for the ibooks. They've only just been replaced by the new macbook but are still really good and will be in your price budget (check ebay).

They are a lot easier to use (once you've got used to them) and your dad won't have any problems with viruses etc.

Plus you won't really have to go for the top of range spec with macs as they are plenty powerful enough. :D

Been using mac's since being converted a few years ago, and now on my 3rd and think they are great.

if you think that the new ones are a bit above your budget, look for the ibooks. They've only just been replaced by the new macbook but are still really good and will be in your price budget (check ebay).

They are a lot easier to use (once you've got used to them) and your dad won't have any problems with viruses etc.

Plus you won't really have to go for the top of range spec with macs as they are plenty powerful enough. :D

I know what your saying fellas, I've been using them at work for over 10 years, but the thought of my old man having to learn a new OS doesn't bear thinking about!!!! He'll never be off the phone to me!!!

I know they're easier to learn and use, but he's had a PC now for 6 or 7 years and barely knows his way around that!!!

Thanks for all the other comments guys.

Matt

Ive had an old Mac for about 15 years, still working!! Had several PCs running alongside it and they have all but been reduced to rubble in the bin!

Bought a new MAC last year and love it! The novel thing is, I plug something in, and it works! Its everything a Windows wants to be! :D

Not another Mac Vs PC Thread! :yawn: :P

With the Dual Core chips, the distinction between them will become more and more blured! :lol:

Id stick to PC if thats what your parents are sort of used too. For most users a mac is easier once they become used to it, but if your not going to be around to help them stick with Mr Gates OS! ;)

I've used a lot of laptops, and generally found Acer latops to be good quality and offer decent value for money. What about something like -

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/104862

Upgrade the ram with another 512Mb (about £40 inc Vat) and you can get the extended 3 year INTERNATIONAL warranty here -

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/62482 (ideal if they are going abroad)

This laptop looks better too, but its out of stock at the moment -

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=99088

Should be easily on budget. ;)

Avoid Dell's - my experience of "H"ell Notebooks is not a good one.

I have a Fujitu Siemens at the moment, running troubl free for 12 months...never hangs, dies etc and is abused every day...

Never had an AppleMac before but people who use 'em swear by 'em.

i agree Fujitsu-Siemens

have a Home PC and Laptop by Fujitsu, never had a problem with both...both 2 years old now here are the specs

FUJITSU-SIEMENS Laptop

AMILIO A1630 3200+

15.4" WXGA TFT

AMD Athalon 64 3200+ GHz

512 MB DDR

80 GB HD

ATI Radeon 9700 Graphic card with 128MB

10/100 MBit LAN

Wireless LAN

Fire Wire

56k Modem

USB 2.0