Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mornin all,

I'm looking to fill a void since selling my LS430 earlier this year. I'm currently running around in a Mk2 GS300 until I find said vehicle.

The problem is, I want a Luxury car with all the gadgets. The one I really want (spec) is an LS430 with ACC (you know the clever Cruise Control) and colour reverse camera.

Thing is, the LS430 kinda looks dated now (even the facelift model!) and a new one is due at the end of the year.

I am considering the new GS430. They have taken SUCH a hit in 11 months, this vehicle was £47k new.....Now you can get one for £29,995.

What's the general concensus on the new GS430? I've fallen in love with the 'Options' on this baby.

Am I right in saying you cannot add any options to this car?

I'm not sure if I can get away with the back end of these. It keeps screaming TOYOTA AVENSIS :huh: to me.

Help !!!!!!!

Hi,

I traded a 2003 LS in for a new GS last November so I am probably in a good position to advise.

Postive

GS is modern looking, quick, relatively frugal, has all the gadgets, is super comfy (better seats than LS), relatively quiet and certainly easier to park than the LS! :) As for options - the GS has one option which is "what colour do you want sir??"

Negative

Build Quality is not a patch on LS. It's good but the LS is way over engineered where as the GS is just well engineered. Mine ( and a few others) have been blighted by dash rattles and door rattles - a number of cars have been replaced by Lexus I believe so test drive carefully on a bumpy road and listen for creaks and groans from door panels and dash - check out my post in GS forum. Much harsher ride than LS and not as quiet but then again what is??

Overall - you will not be disappointed with GS unless you compare to LS which is in a whole different league of luxury.

LS430 all the way..if you have the cash..like Rillo says, it's in a league of it's own!

Shame they look like barge though.

Seriously are they that much better than a GS ?

Go for a drive in the new 2004+ onwards LS430 and you will see what I mean!!

Love the new bold GS, loved everything about it, inside and out and the drive is great. I only had a 10 mins test drive on an open day so can't comment much, but I enjoyed it.

The LS still gets my vote though, id wait for the new one to be launched, looks like a class car!

Thanks for some of the comments.

Does the LS430 look too dated now? I compared one with a (dare I say it) BMW 745 Li (Long Wheel Base Limo) and it just didn't stand up to it.

I guess, since the curren LS430 only has a few production months left - Is the answer to wait until Nov/Dec for the New LS430 ?

Anyway, I have taken the plunge. Silver GS430 with Cream leather. Price new £47,000. Price I am paying £29,600. VERY SCARY - It has lost over £17,000 in 11 months.

Will it depreciate much over the next year or so?

I looked for an LS430 with ACC (Active Cruise) but could not find one for love nor money in my budget (£30-35k). Apparently they were only introduced with ACC from 54 plate (some) and 05 onwards. Even then it was an option. Still looking at £40k + for one!!

Mike.

Anyway, I have taken the plunge. Silver GS430 with Cream leather. Price new £47,000. Price I am paying £29,600. VERY SCARY - It has lost over £17,000 in 11 months.

Will it depreciate much over the next year or so?

Yes. The GS loses value faster than 5 series and E class rivals. Expect high depreciation over the next 2-3 years until the value stablises.

The part-ex value of a GS430 03 plate model with 36k is £17,400. So figure on losing at least 10k over the next 2 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering purchasing a demo GS, possibly a GS430 but more realistically a GS300se-l. However as you have recently gone through the process, can you give me some details to assist me with negotiation when I decide to take the plunge?

What was the sticker price at the Lexus dealership prior to negotiation to £29,600?

What was the mileage of the car?

Was it a demo?

Was there a trade in on top of the negotiated price?

If you would rather not post these details, my email address is visible in my profile

Thanks in advance.