Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help! Which Way Does Spring Go In Rear Calipers?

Last night I replaced one the rear brake calipers on my car as the piston seemed to be stuck. It had a spring in to push the pads apart which I didn't have in the original and it popped out before I could see which way round it went.

It's W/M shapped. I think I've worked out which way the spring is meant to go - see below

1. Sould it be this way up: M or this way up? W Answer = W

2. The bottom of the M (or the top of the W) is like this:

_

)

|

Does the ) or the _ go in the hole in the pad? The ) bit goes in the top hole in the pads

3. The top of the M (or the bottom of the W) folds around at a right-angle. Should the sticky out bit be towards or away from the pads? Away from the pads

4. How much of the spring goes through the middle of the clip that fits over the pads? The clip has arms that fold round like they're hugging. Does the middle point of the M/W get hugged or all of the spring or none?

The spring seems to fit best when its all completely under the clip, ie none

Sigh. Sorry. I hope that makes sense to someone who's seen one of these springs. I made my best guess at putting it in for now but it was a real pain. I guess I could have left it out but figured anything that helps my brakes not stick on would be a good thing. I guess if its in wrong it could actually be stopping the pads moving apart though.

Hope this helps

Thank you :) :) No the photo doesn't help though. The clip you can see was on the old and new caliper. The new one also had a wire spring thingy visible underneath it. I'm guessing it was only fitted after a certain year (my car's 2000, the "new" one came from a breakers yard off a 2003 car) or mine had just been left out by someone.

These are a sod to describe - is it missing from the other caliper too?

Yes, unfortunately. I'm going to buy one and put it in though.

Ah. Thank you very much for looking though. :flowers: I guess you can get them from lexus and assume they'd fit all years cause everything else looked the same.

Where can you get them and do they fit all years?

I got one from Lexus last night on the way home from work. I'd tell you how much, part no etc but erm sorry I can't. I'd just missed the parts dude and so Beth :wub: in servicing helped me. Rather than battle with the parts system she asked the mechanics and they produced a slightly used one from a drawer which I got for free. She thought the spring was a modification which was only on later models.

caliper20yy.jpg

Looks like i don't have those springs either....

Best fit them when you change the pads VERY SOON :lol:

That one on the left is about on the metal.

caliper20yy.jpg

Looks like i don't have those springs either....

Best fit them when you change the pads VERY SOON :lol:

That one on the left is about on the metal.

Nope ..... Camera angle! :excl:

Both when out are exactly the same and wearing even..... ;)

I put the spring in the offside rear caliper this morning and I'm now pretty sure which way round its meant to go. Answers above.

I realised I'd got the nearside one slightly wrong so I've corrected that now. Hopefully that'll sort out the pad drag I'm getting on the offside caliper, otherwise that caliper will get replaced too.