Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stinky Air Con....

Noel

Hi all,

I have a very stinky air con. at present and read all the old posts and had some success with the suggestions,

Cleaned filter and done the recycling dettol anti-bacterial air stuff for 10 Min's .....

It's ok now if i have the air on re-cycle but as stinky as ever when it's set to fresh air in, I tried spraying the Dettol into the vents near the wipers while the air con was working but.... still Musty!

Do i need to strip off the Vents cover and clean something done inside there or what ?

Where does the "normal" fresh air come in? ( without air con) as dosen't seem to be smelly!

Cheers

Noel

Thanks Mike,

I saw that post in my searching but it's ok on recirculate, only stinky now when it's using "fresh" air.....

Wonder if it's possible to get the steam towards the Fresh air intake?

Say if i was to make up a cowl over the external vents and boil the kettle under this....mmmm might be an idea, would it be worth trying this before stripping the external vents?

cheeers

Thanks Mike,

I saw that post in my searching but it's ok on recirculate, only stinky now when it's using "fresh" air.....

Wonder if it's possible to get the steam towards the Fresh air intake?

Say if i was to make up a cowl over the external vents and boil the kettle under this....mmmm might be an idea, would it be worth trying this before stripping the external vents?

cheeers

Hi,

Don't want to step on anyone's toes, but have you checked the pollen filter. This could be the issue if its dirty with dead bugs. I had the same issue and changed the pollen filter, the stinky smell went away. I also did the same as you with the anit-bact spray.

I had a 40K service recently, and they replaced the air conditioning filter. Ever since, when I put the aircon on (fresh air setting) there is a slight musty smell for a couple of minutes which then seems to go away. There's no smell if aircon is off. Never had this problem before the service.

Before I turn the kettle on, is the AC filter what DINO is calling the pollen filter, or is this something else I should check? If so, where is it on the IS300?

Thanks.

IanB :D

air con and pollen filter is the same. the kettle thing works for a while because it wets the filter and prevents the smell, doesnt last too long.

just buy the proper AC cleaner spray ( not the one with the tube) its just a can u put in the footwell, aircon on recirc, max air and then let the car run for about 10 or 15 mins. job done.

I had a 40K service recently, and they replaced the air conditioning filter. Ever since, when I put the aircon on (fresh air setting) there is a slight musty smell for a couple of minutes which then seems to go away. There's no smell if aircon is off. Never had this problem before the service.

Before I turn the kettle on, is the AC filter what DINO is calling the pollen filter, or is this something else I should check? If so, where is it on the IS300?

Thanks.

It's behind the glove box on all models - squeeze the sides of the glovebox inwards and the box will drop down. The filter is right there in front of you.

Thanks guys. :) :)

Not sure why it happened so suddenly. Maybe I drove through a swarm of flies recently. We do have a lot of oil seed rape growing around us, and that attracts some big bugs which plaster the screen. :yack:

I think I'll take a look at the filter.