Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Soarer Fuel Economy And General Questions

robbiekhan

Hi folks, I'm intending to get a IS200 or a Soarer in a few months time when the cash is in the "bag" :hehe:

I am moving up from a Civic and as much as I love the Honda reliability and I want something with a little more luxary to the name and of course the driving pleasure and packed extras that Lexus has as standard.

Looked at the IIS200 SE for a while now and am pretty happy with the spec and overall ride/build - gets around 32MPG if I'm not mistaken which is pretty decent for such a car on most counts, my civic gets around 40MPG so I'm not missing a huge amount either.

I cannot find economy charts for the soarer though at all, I know they are beasts but is the fuel usage similar to the IS200 or far less?

Also what insurance group does it fall into? the IS200 is group 12 which is the same as my civic so I'm not going to die over insurance costs on a IS200 but Parkers does not list the Soarer under Lexus or Toyota.

Cheers dudes.

Hi and Welcome to LOC :)

Dont bank on 32mpg on the IS200 in general driving,round low 20s around town.

Id go for a Soarer myself ;)

About the same mpg as the IS but with alot more get up and go.

Have a look through the IS200 section of the club to get a feel on mpg in the real world.

Which model soarer was you looking at getting?

V8 or 2.5TT or the 3litre version?

Good luck with what ever car you choose to buy.

Chips..

Soarer Specs hope this will be of some help :winky:

Oh forgot.........Welcome to the club :D

Thanks! looks like the IS200 is for me then :P

Edit*

chips229 misse dyour post sorry! must have posted near same time ish.

I was looking at the 2.5TT models as they go for around £4000 or less here on autotrader!

If I work 5 days a week and work is 4 miles away how far would you say a full tank would get me around town? on a Soarer that is

Soarer Specs hope this will be of some help :winky:

Oh forgot.........Welcome to the club :D

Thanks! looks like the IS200 is for me then :P

Edit*

chips229 misse dyour post sorry! must have posted near same time ish.

I was looking at the 2.5TT models as they go for around £4000 or less here on autotrader!

If I work 5 days a week and work is 4 miles away how far would you say a full tank would get me around town? on a Soarer that is

That would depend on what version you get and what sort of driving you do.

The fuel tank is large, about 78L so you'll drive for a fair while at 8 miles a day. If you got say 18mpg round town, you'd use less than a gallon a day and you can get about 17+ gallons in the tank.

So it would do you for a while, if you decide to plant your foot everywhere as you probably will after you feel the power and smoothness youll get less. If i had to choose between a Soarer or an IS200 and 2mpg more I'd still be driving the Soarer.

You cant really compare a Soarer and an IS200, one is a family saloon, one is a luxuary coupe.

That's where my choice comes in! I cannot afford both but I want a powerplant that is fun to drive but I can't drive the family around or take friends out etc in a soarer whereas I can comfortably on an IS200.

Either way I guess both will be infinately more fun and powerful than my current civic so it's win win in that respect.

If only I could have both!

i drive a soarer V8 which on a long motor way journey will return 32 mpg

however rural driving will be low 20's ,i usually manage to get 400 to 450 miles to a full tank of petrol,and i always keep my tank topped up, for no reason other than thats what i do,always ready to travel :D incidently the soarer has 2 good rear seats fully accesable unless you need to fit a baby seat then that could be a bit of a bind,on the V8 the passenger seat automaticly moves forward when the back is lowered for getting in the rear ,there is also a pedal to the lower rear of the seat so the rear passenger only has to step on it to start the seat moving forward and lowering the backrest.

That's good news really! now another option has come into the question, the honda prelude 2.2 or 2litre, very nice spec and the jap version has the fully kitted out cockpit, looking at prices it seems to be very cheap and many in very nice condition!

I know this is the lexus forum but i was just blown away by the nice lines of the prelude as its similar to the soarer /is200 for what I'm after!

Talking about any car other than Lexus on this forum is blasphemy and not advised..hhehehhe..

Get a soarer 4 litre V8..you will be gobsmacked by how smooth the thrust of that V8 is..

That's good news really! now another option has come into the question, the honda prelude 2.2 or 2litre, very nice spec and the jap version has the fully kitted out cockpit, looking at prices it seems to be very cheap and many in very nice condition!

I know this is the lexus forum but i was just blown away by the nice lines of the prelude as its similar to the soarer /is200 for what I'm after!

Oh they come with electric retacting steering columns, touch screen climate control, tape, radio, cassette, and cd changer, active suspension and 4ws with optional reversing camera and a 3d dash on the top model then :P . Must of missed that model :hehe: :shruriken:.

We had a 2.2 VTEC Prelude import for 4 years and my son now has it, great car BUT dont try putting an adult in the back, and a child seat would I'm sure be a nightmare! Great car all the same, but not in the same league as a Lex!

If you have to ask about fuel economy you really shouldn't buy a Soarer. If you drive it like an old woman then you will get reasonable mileage but what's the point? I've seen less than 10mpg when out and about enjoying myself.

You do get lots of toys on the V8 but the TTs are usually a lot more spartan. I only have air and cruise. Not even ABS.

A word of warning about £4000 Soarers on Autotrader (or anywhere else). If you buy a dog you could easily spend another £2000 fixing it.

On the plus side, these cars are a fantastic drive. Why not try to get to a club meet and cadge a ride in one. The owners are usually fanatics and will be happy to talk your ear off about their experiences.

I'm lucky enough to have both (IS200 & Soarer 2.5TT)

Soarer out of the box is wicked 270 bhp and revs to 7000 rpm......handles well

IS is OK OEM but to get to the drive the Soarer will give you will cost mucho cash..........

biggest plus for the IS is the age of the car..............

however not many Soarers about........

bit of a quandry for you.........my Soarer is up for sale.......£5k 1995 with stage one boost upgrade and a few goodies.........310 bhp :winky: PM me for full spec..........got the rare LSD as well :D

• 3 weeks later...

My wife has a Soarer V8, a few minor niggles as with any older car (94), but she abolutely loves it. Need to be careful with the right foot though, no trac control. Bit tight for rear passengers however. She thinks she should change it for an mpv to be more practical, but is very reluctant. Very few are perfect, but main components, engine transmission etc are rock solid. Very easy to fall in love with, but the IS is probably a more sensible choice. If anyone is ever sensible about cars that is!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links