Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Englands Quest For The 2006 World Cup Thread

chips229

Well, another 3 points!!

Boy, why leave it to the last 8 minutes to open the account?

Seems they can't handle the new ball. Kept skying it!! Until that ball from Becks and that fantastic goal from Ste Gerard...it looked pretty naff.

Have to say it thoough...

Where were Becks and Gerard in the 2nd half? Other then those 2 hit's they were hardly noticeable.

That boy Aaron's good though...so quick!!

The problem is still that no other team will be quaking in their boots at the sight of Englands performances.

There really should have been at least 3-4 goals against that opposition and Crouch and Lampard missed far too many.

Stil, made good viewing and the "tactical" with 30 minutes to go was a good one this time!!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought they played pretty pants all the game to be honest. It was just ironic that the two of the players who didnt play that well managed to score in the end. Still, as you say, 3 points none the less.

Considering that T&T were defending with 10 men for most of the game, our lads weren't too bad, especially when Lennon came on to give some depth down the right wing.

Cracking goal by Gerrard but when will he give the same consistent performances for England like he does for Liverpool?

Was just gonna post about that game Jamboo! Wow what a game!

Lookin at England yeasterday and looking at the Argies today do they really stand a chance?!

Fantastic football and a pleasure to watch, England always seem to scrape through when teams such as Argentina and Brazil WIN and in style!

But as said above England got 3 points but lets hope we see some better football from the boys! Do us proud!

Argentina were awesome. Great team and great players. They also know how to play football properly and how to pass a ball

I stand to win lots of money if Argentina win the world cup :D i picked them out of the hat 3 times, at different places :o

So Rooney plays tomorrow. He starts with Crouch, or Owen?

2 half fit strikers are given the nodd over Walcott - bet he must be pleased...

I dunno, but I think the fact that he took only 4 strikers (of which 2 are half fit) is gonna let England down as we try and go further into the contest!!

First match against european opposition, so should make a viewing spectacle.

PS - anyone see Brazil yesterday? Ronaldo should be dropped, and I thought the Ozzies played a tight midfield game and almost did it, and I think that is the only way to beat the Brazilians.

They'll improve over the course of the championship...Brazilians that is...and that kid Rubinho is just so quick....

Didn't think much to Brazil again.. Ronaldo should be dropped as he clearly is not fit enough and over weight. Robinho and Fred are both excellent players. So I wouldn't be suprised if they both get given the nod to start..

From reading the papers and sky sports news today, Peter Crouch will be dropped to make way for Rooney. He is also on a yellow card so it'll be a precautionary measure. Gerrard and Lampard could also be sitting out as they are on yellow cards too.

I think Theo Walcott will get a run out at some point tomorrow, as what is the point in taking him if he isn't going to play him.. As I said before it shows Sven dropped a bollock by taking him in the first place and only 4 ( 2 half fit ) strikers

Well we got there in the end and get the easier run to the final. :yawn:

Defending was terrible at times especially at set pieces. Rooney looked pretty good and getting to some decent fitness. Joe Cole played superbly and what a goal :D

Good ole Stevie G another goal and a goal line clearance in the 20 mins or so he played..

Unfortunately it looks like Michael Owen maybe out for the rest of the tournament

Joe Cole......my oh my :D

If only the rest of the rabble looked to him as an example! :blink:

Rooney - the lad was soooooo frustrated, but with himself! He'll come good if we can get past Ecuador (where the feck is that?)

Anyway....although we haven't scored many, we've got there! :D

Argentina were awesome. Great team and great players. They also know how to play football properly and how to pass a ball

I stand to win lots of money if Argentina win the world cup :D i picked them out of the hat 3 times, at different places :o

I had £100 on Argentina at the beginning of the tounament at 40-1.

I have money on them also to win the group.

England to go out in the last 16.

Italy to go out in the quarters.

F*cking England lost me money last night :tsktsk:

where the hell did u get odds of 40-1?!!!!!!! I wish i had got those odds.

England have a star international team. The players are all world class, just a shame they cant work together or play when it counts.

Mike > Joe Cole had to do something after the 1st 2 games; he thought he was scoring conversion's in rugby.

England had a great first half....... although the second was hap hazzard.....

they need a strong figure as a captain and that ain't Beckham...... Defending set pieces very poor...

All said, they should make it past Ecuador.... :)

Which team regularly start the 2nd half slow, apathetic, pass the ball back when under no threat to the goalie only for him to kick it out to the opposition and hand them possession?

The biggest problem is that the dream team mid field fizzle out in the 2nd half. The long ball goes over their heads and they don't get a look in...

Well you know who I'm on about...that's how Sweden scored at least one of the goals.

Robinson belted it, Swedes came forward, won a corner and hey presto...naff defending LED to a goal!!

Even at school our team goal keeper was told that when you're ahead the keeper should always pass the ball to the defenders to keep possession and play the ball forward...

If they do that against anyone (Ecuador included) they'll get punished...

Ecuador should be an easy win, but our boys are so good at "matching the opposition" and scraping a win...

How about Sven leave out Becks, play Gerard on the right?

PS - yes agreed - Beckham is past his sell by date! If only Sven would not guarantee any player a position regardless - even Campbell has hardly played in the last several months...I suppose McLaren will just take over and keep the naff system running!!

I agree .... this passing the ball to the goalie only for him to boot it up the field is crazy... Irish team do it all the time and drives me crazy ( screaming at the TV)... have possesion now they have to fight for it again....

there is no one else good enough to captain the team.

I think beckham does a good job. In the 1st game I think he was the only one who was actually playing football!!! the rest looked like it was a kiddie 5 a side game.

Hmmm...not convinced he performs any Captainship...Best player does not always mean best captain.

The captains role should be more than just playing well (and he's inconsistent at that too). He should be leading the team in the field and ensuring delivery of tactics and co-ordinating when the set tactics need to change for whatever reason. But then the 2nd half performances always leave you feeling that there are no tactics...it's all defend defend defend, chuck the ball up the park and hope...

Some one needs to howl at the players and get the best out of them, and since Adams and Pearcey left there's very little of it. It's rare anyone on the touchline actually stands up like Pareira or Pekerman and tells them to keep their shape. I think I've seem McLaren do it once in this tournament...

Something radical is gonna have to happen for the team to win the world cup, 'cos you can only keep scraping through for so long...!

PS - there is only one person on the field who is capable of captaining properly - Rio!! He's the first (and only one) to tell the team to pull it's finger out...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links