Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Englands Quest For The 2006 World Cup Thread

chips229

Hi,

Lets talk about it,the highs and the lows and Hope the last posts of this Thread are of Maybe Just Maybe we win it this time around!!

Im not really a true football fan but I just watched Englands 1st game and looks like where on our way.

Things didnt look to good in the second half :crybaby: for England thought we had it TBH but we just hung on..

Post what you like,but lets not get into a slagging match between members just talking about football,this Thread is about

ENGLAND all the way.

Ive said my bit...Roll on the next game.

Chips..

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First 30 mins England were awesome! They just couldn't find the net :o

What the hell was Sven doing in the second half though? As soom as Owen came off it all went to rat$hit with the midfield falling apart, no one to support Crouch and Paraguay rampant in England's half. Fortunately the back 4 played well and Robinson had a fairly easy time of it!

I agree with Mike.......Owen must have been Knackered to be brought off, but I think he should have subbed like for like....Crouch cannot play up front on his own, he needs someone to lay off too.

I agree with Mike.......Owen must have been Knackered to be brought off, but I think he should have subbed like for like....Crouch cannot play up front on his own, he needs someone to lay off too.

Crouch certainly does. But that shows that Sven dropped a clanger with his team selection in only taking 4 strikers. If he rates Walcott that much (with out seeing him play), then surely that was the time to have put him on in place of Michael Owen. Owen must have came off because he's still not fit. With having 5 in midfield and playing 1 upfront, Sven always goes for defensive when we are a goal up and hopes we cling on to the lead. Which we did, just. But against a proper opponent we wont hold on..

Also Lampard should sit back at bit more and let Gerrard push forward sometimes. As its meant to be interchangeable :yawn:

I don't think so you know...Owen was off to conserve him...

I reckon they were in the lead and it was "conservation" time...that's how Sven does it (Back to his Italy days).

Best way of getting beaten at this level I think. Another credible opposition would have pummelled England in that 2nd half...

2 bad things in my book Sven has done -

1) Guarantee players a position

2) Play defensively whenever you can...

Especially important if it comes down to Goal difference...'cos we won't have enough on the board!!

Steve McLaren might be the same too...

If we're gona win now and in the future the players need a good kicking!! They need to know that their place can be taken and they can be replaced (includes all of the pretty boys). That's what Hiddink and Scolari would have done...

And what about Walcote? Why is he better than Defoe?

PS - said it once before - Gerrard is Mr Inconsistent when he wears 3 lions...and when it's hot, hold the ball, dictate the pace and make them chase...but we can't seem to hold the ball...then blame the hot weather

Best way of getting beaten at this level I think. Another credible opposition would have pummelled England in that 2nd half...

2 bad things in my book Sven has done -

1) Guarantee players a position

2) Play defensively whenever you can...

Especially important if it comes down to Goal difference...'cos we won't have enough on the board!!

Steve McLaren might be the same too...

Totally agree with you there mate. I can't see too much changing under McLaren as he (and Beckham) seems to run the team anyway.

As for Stevie G.. Sven had him playing the holding role all game with Lampard pushing up. Where as they are both supposedly meant to take it in turns with the roles. Gerrard is the more natural tackler out of the 2 but that means that he can't attack, like he does for Liverpool. He doesn't play the holding role for Liverpool. He's allowed to attack and roam free around behind the 2 front men. If he's allowed to do this when playing for England then that is when he will come into his own.

heres the opinion of a football hater,,

england have no chance if the only way they win a match is for the other team to score an own goal...

tell me if im stupid but with all the so called top footballers in the world in the england squad, not one scores a goal against paragay.....

england have no chance if the only way they win a match is for the other team to score an own goal...

tell me if im stupid but with all the so called top footballers in the world in the england squad, not one scores a goal against paragay.....

own goal any goal its all the same to me paragay as you say are no pushovers

the start of the world cup has proved that no one is realy going to get turned over

unless the whole team plays to there best look at tinidad we have a very good chance

if sven gets the tactics right he ficked up by not taking j.defoe or d.bent one should

have defo gone just because rooney was injured like everyone says crouch is team

player he has a good touch but wont turn tke someone on an win a game like owen, rooney

bent or defoe the time will be after the qualifiers thats when we need the whole team to start

for me the are 3 in this competion in this order

ENGLAND

ARGENTINA

BRAZIL

own goal any goal its all the same to me paragay as you say are no pushovers

the start of the world cup has proved that no one is realy going to get turned over

unless the whole team plays to there best look at tinidad we have a very good chance

if sven gets the tactics right he ficked up by not taking j.defoe or d.bent one should

have defo gone just because rooney was injured like everyone says crouch is team

player he has a good touch but wont turn tke someone on an win a game like owen, rooney

bent or defoe the time will be after the qualifiers thats when we need the whole team to start

for me the are 3 in this competion in this order

ENGLAND

ARGENTINA

BRAZIL

Have you got exhaust fumes leaking into your vehicle? :lol:

How can you say that without seeing all the teams play and at least twice?

Dont count Italy out.

Italy are playing now and going upon the level of players and Italian league...they will progress further than England unless they meet another one of the favourites.

Crap.....

Ghana are giving the Wops a real scare :duh:

fair play to ghana for holding on for that long. couple of cracking shots from essien but slopy passing let them down. they never seemed to lose the pace.

italy looked worried 10 mins into the second half. unfortunately it all went wrong for ghana. I honestly thought I was looking at a draw for a while there.

Italy are playing now and going upon the level of players and Italian league...they will progress further than England unless they meet another one of the favourites.

Crap.....

Ghana are giving the Wops a real scare :duh:

Not bad for a team that are still wondering how they have got there.

Ghana should spend all there practice time till the next match shooting at the friggin goal, not towards the stands.... really wanted them to score and make it interesting....

All in all it's great to see goals in this world cup and not bloody nil all draws...... :)

lol!!

We have a good midfield and also............

International quality...ahem..in an English fans head maybe.

Yeah...

biggest problem in this tournament for "our" boys will be consistency...

When did they play consistently well for more then 2 games (or 2 halves in some cases)?

It could all end in tears tomorrow...and I will hate Sven for letting them go shopping with their wives....they did not deserve any time off after that 2nd half. They'll start all "buzzy" for the first half, go ahead and sit back again!!

I know a win is a win, and that's cool, but they need a rocket up their jacksies to go out and perform for the fans...all that whinging about the weather was so childish...no one else yet appears to have complained...and Beck's himself was dawdling in that 2nd half and he plays in one of the sunniest climates known to man!!

The actual starting 11 of England have not played that many competitive games together. Certainly not recently. When the team should be learning how to play together in friendlies, Sven thinks it better to keep swapping the team around as well as the tactics. I think (hopefully) as they progress they'll start to play better as a team. That's what has happened in the past anyway.

As for Saturday. We still won.. We've still got 3 points on the table from 1 game.. So lets just look on the bright side and be happy and stay positive :D

Just hope Sven doesn't decide to go all defensive again if we get a lead :blink: