Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Diy Aircon Gassing

keef

I've just seen bottles of aircon gas for sale in Halfords.

Is replacing/recharging the gas really a DIY job?

Has anyone done this with success? It would be nice to have a bit more chill in this current weather!

Cheers, Keith

Just topped up my 1997 GS300 mk1 (123,000 miles) with an 18 oz can from Halfords - cost £40.

Easy to do - took me about 5 minutes.

I know it isn't ideal but it seems to have done the job - so far so good.

My compresssor made a loud whining noise above 2,000 rpm - this noise has almost disappeared after just 10 miles of driving.

The GS compressor is the dear one. Because everything is driven off one belt, Lexus (Or rather Denso) fitted the ac compressor with a speed sensor to compair the speed of the compressor to the speed of the engine, if the compressor falls out of tolerance, then the HVAC system decides that the ac compressor is starting to sieze and so suts off the ac compressor. This prevents the compressor locking up and burning out the drive belt and stranding the driver. The noise suggests that the bearings are on their way out but the compressor will run untill the noise becomes intolerable or it starts to lock up and gets shut down. Excessive head pressure can also make the compressor make funny noises. New compressor should be around £500 +VAT for the part if you shop round.

Why did you need to charge the system?

The GS compressor is the dear one. Because everything is driven off one belt, Lexus (Or rather Denso) fitted the ac compressor with a speed sensor to compair the speed of the compressor to the speed of the engine, if the compressor falls out of tolerance, then the HVAC system decides that the ac compressor is starting to sieze and so suts off the ac compressor. This prevents the compressor locking up and burning out the drive belt and stranding the driver. The noise suggests that the bearings are on their way out but the compressor will run untill the noise becomes intolerable or it starts to lock up and gets shut down. Excessive head pressure can also make the compressor make funny noises. New compressor should be around £500 +VAT for the part if you shop round.

Yes, bearing wear worn due to low lube/refrigerant pressure in sytem. needed recharging because it wasn't blowing cold anymore (car done 123K), prefer to work on my own car so opted for cheapest option as 1) compressor is on its way out and therefore why waste money on a professional job AND 2) just wanted to try the Halfords stuff out (experience)

having run the car now for a while - i dont think it was worth the money - air is warmer again and compressor whine is back - it might just be a leak in my ac system, but this stuff is suposed to fix them.

next time i would go to a pro - unless i inherit all the equipment from a long lost fridge mad uncle - the extra few quid probably would have been worth it.

any way, i'm saving for a new compressor......

Yes, bearing wear worn due to low lube/refrigerant pressure in sytem. needed recharging because it wasn't blowing cold anymore (car done 123K), prefer to work on my own car so opted for cheapest option as 1) compressor is on its way out and therefore why waste money on a professional job AND 2) just wanted to try the halfords stuff out (experience)

having run the car now for a while - i dont think it was worth the money - air is warmer again and compressor whine is back - it might just be a leak in my ac system, but this stuff is suposed to fix them.

next time i would go to a pro - unless i inherit all the equipment from a long lost fridge mad uncle - the extra few quid probably would have been worth it.

Don't forget to invest in a new drier, expansion valve and to have your pipes flushed too otherwise you will be back at square one very quickly indeed.

Although the system could have a leak almost anywhere, a common place that I have found on the GS is the alloy refrigerant pipe that runs on the right of the car(As you look at it) low down in the engine bay. It is secured by a couple of steel clips and salt water causes corrosion of the pipe. Have a gander at this pipe and see if you can spot any oily deposits in this area, especially by a clip. The pipe can have the corroded section cut out and have a new section brazed in if it is dear from Lexus. It's been a long time since I have worked on any Lexus so I am a bit hazy on the precise run of this pipe.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, bearing wear worn due to low lube/refrigerant pressure in sytem. needed recharging because it wasn't blowing cold anymore (car done 123K), prefer to work on my own car so opted for cheapest option as 1) compressor is on its way out and therefore why waste money on a professional job AND 2) just wanted to try the halfords stuff out (experience)

Don't forget to invest in a new drier, expansion valve and to have your pipes flushed too otherwise you will be back at square one very quickly indeed.

Although the system could have a leak almost anywhere, a common place that I have found on the GS is the alloy refrigerant pipe that runs on the right of the car(As you look at it) low down in the engine bay. It is secured by a couple of steel clips and salt water causes corrosion of the pipe. Have a gander at this pipe and see if you can spot any oily deposits in this area, especially by a clip. The pipe can have the corroded section cut out and have a new section brazed in if it is dear from Lexus. It's been a long time since I have worked on any Lexus so I am a bit hazy on the precise run of this pipe.

thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links