Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Floor Punctured - What To Do

Hi,

my IS220d is 5 weeks old and some wally left a truck spring on the road. It was grey - same colour as tarmac and I saw it late. I tried to avoid it but must have clipped it. It sprang up and pierced the plastic undercar cover and punched a hole in the floor under the front passenger seat. I know- it could have been much worse.

The Lexus Body Shop has quoted € 1600 (stg 1100??) for repair. Most of the cost comes from pulling out the seat and carpet. Then they weld the tear. A chunk of the cost comes from the two plastic elements that have to be replaced.

Four questions.

(1) It sounds like a messy job. Will they be able to replace carpets etc as good as new.

(2) Should I go to a non-Lexus body shop. My gut instinct is that I am being ripped off but I want to maintain the warranty and that means staying with Lexus.

(3) Is there any way of patching it. The repair will not be visible and the key thing is to keep out water etc. Once the plastic is on I cannot see how it affects the car.

(4) Does the quote seem reasonable - 15 hours labour and € 550 for replacement plastic parts seems very high.

Looking forward to comments.

Thanks

The Lexus Body Shop has quoted € 1600 (stg 1100??) for repair. Most of the cost comes from pulling out the seat and carpet. Then they weld the tear. A chunk of the cost comes from the two plastic elements that have to be replaced.

Four questions.

(1) It sounds like a messy job. Will they be able to replace carpets etc as good as new.

(2) Should I go to a non-Lexus body shop. My gut instinct is that I am being ripped off but I want to maintain the warranty and that means staying with Lexus.

(3) Is there any way of patching it. The repair will not be visible and the key thing is to keep out water etc. Once the plastic is on I cannot see how it affects the car.

(4) Does the quote seem reasonable - 15 hours labour and € 550 for replacement plastic parts seems very high.

Looking forward to comments.

Thanks

hi mate, sorry to hear about this but as you said it could have been alot worse!

1 - The quality of a repair by the bodyshop(hogans i take it) should be as new. i have only heard good things about the but as you say they arent cheap.

2 - I would stay with lexus especially as the car is that new. i would not trust the car, especially such a specific repair with someone else. And as you know there is not alot of choice in galway either.

3 - I dont think you should just patch it, i dont know how it would be sealed etc...

4 - The quote seems very expensive, but hogans are a rip-off on labour costs anyway. I dont think it would be 15 hours labour.

- A possible remedy is stripping the carpets etc. yourself which is not as daunting as it seems which may reduce the labour

- Try and source the parts elsewhere but this will be hard on a new model.

- I would try a differant dealer such as dublin because the galway one is renound for over-pricing repairs etc.

Sorry if i wasnt much help but Good luck in getting it sorted and nice to see another galway member on here!

why dont you just claim on your insurance :yawn:

I didn't say I was not claiming on the insurance.

My biggest concern is how good the job will turn out.

I am not that interested in spending a lot of money - no matter whose - on something that I may be dissatisfied with.

As regards cost, I think this should be reasonable no matter who pays. Besides, claiming on insurance is just a way of paying by instalments! Someone has to pay at the end of the day.

why dont you just claim on your insurance :yawn:

I didn't say I was not claiming on the insurance.

My biggest concern is how good the job will turn out.

I am not that interested in spending a lot of money - no matter whose - on something that I may be dissatisfied with.

As regards cost, I think this should be reasonable no matter who pays. Besides, claiming on insurance is just a way of paying by instalments! Someone has to pay at the end of the day.

It sounds a very simple repair. The body shop will remove the paint and underseal around the damaged area and weld repair it. Once it is painted and undersealed it will be virtually invisible and as strong as new.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links