Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Rattle = Big Job!

I am so pleased with my new IS. However, I have a nasty rattle that has got worse over the past few weeks. Took it to my dealer to fix. They said that they need to keep it for 2 -3 days! as they might need to take the dash apart.

Don't like the idea of my new £30k car being pulled apart already :-(

I am so pleased with my new IS. However, I have a nasty rattle that has got worse over the past few weeks. Took it to my dealer to fix. They said that they need to keep it for 2 -3 days! as they might need to take the dash apart.

It took a day for my dealer to take the dash apart and fix two rattles, but I did gain a new one.

Whereabouts is your rattle ?

It took a day for my dealer to take the dash apart and fix two rattles, but I did gain a new one.

Welcome to the club..( rattle club that is) Yes its a dash out job MIne had it too now replaced its quiet and no problems As a number have been done Lexus know about the problem and how to fix it. The dash is taken out for quite a few other jobs so although it takes a long time to do it will be fine...but as for lexus build quality etc dont get me started.. How old is your car as I thought the rattle issues had been sorted on the newer built ones

Good luck alan

Welcome to the club..( rattle club that is) Yes its a dash out job MIne had it too now replaced its quiet and no problems As a number have been done Lexus know about the problem and how to fix it. The dash is taken out for quite a few other jobs so although it takes a long time to do it will be fine...but as for lexus build quality etc dont get me started.. How old is your car as I thought the rattle issues had been sorted on the newer built ones

Good luck alan

Purchased March 06 . The rattle seems to come form the passnger side of the dash

Hi

Well there are 3 dash rattles The one is a rattle..like a tapping sound due to the dash hitting the glass This is caused by the clips that hold the dash in This is a dash out job 3 days.

Your rattle sounds more like the lesser on which is around the video screen and ventilation grill this is a radio out and felt padding job.... half a day

There also is a rattle from the fornt speaker grill which is easy to fix

All of these are known to lexus and fixes are on the dealers web sites for them to use

Your car is an 'early one' the factory fixed these only on the very latest build dates

good luck

alan

T

My 220d has a nasty rattle emanating from the passenger's side of the dash - I can't work out exactly where from, but it's getting worse. If I get the recall notice for the seat belts, I ask them to fix it at the same time. Purchased it in March 2006.

I had a couple of glitches when I purchased the Lexus which meant I had an early model 250 for the day, and that one rattled like a playpen, from all parts of the interior. Doesn't bode well...

JFB

Good luck alan

Purchased March 06 . The rattle seems to come form the passnger side of the dash

from your desription its a dash out job..I quite agree with you that ripping the dashout with all the looms etc is 100% out of order. We all should join together and demand some compensation form Lexus

alan

• 2 weeks later...

Well the rattle problem was a BIG job for my car as the damage the garage caused is still awaiting a part from Japan !!! :tsktsk:

The Lexus Dealer I won't mention has had to order parts for the gear shift housing and dash trim as they damaged the plastic when removing these parts to get at the rattle which came from below the centre speaker.

Needless to say I have been driving rattle free for some 5 months or so, and still have a damaged dash. Escalated through Lexus Customer Services and still waiting the parts !!! Utter crap :shutit: :angry:

Well the rattle problem was a BIG job for my car as the damage the garage caused is still awaiting a part from Japan !!! :tsktsk:

The Leus Dealer I won't mention has had to order parts for the gear shift housing and dash trim as they damaged the plastic when removing these parts to get at the rattle which came from below the centre speaker.

Needless to say I have been driving rattle free for some 5 months or so, and still have a damaged dash. Escalated through Lexus Customer Services and still waiting the parts !!! Utter crap :shutit: :angry:

Why put up with that much grief on a new car and still hide the dealers name?! :blink:

Why put up with that much grief on a new car and still hide the dealers name?! :blink:

Needless to say its_a_doozy is still waiting for the parts and still has to go back there for the fix. You won't know what they can do to your car if they know you're stepping on their back.

Hi there.

I am thinking to get this car LEXUS IS 250 - luxury version and I read lot of artickles about this car and all complain about RATTLE. I was wondering if u have this problem just in SPORT version or even in LUXURY version?

I actually have a sport car that has this rattle as well and it is even not LEXUS.

Please let me know asap!

Thank you in advance.

Kate

Hi there.

I am thinking to get this car LEXUS IS 250 - luxury version and I read lot of artickles about this car and all complain about RATTLE. I was wondering if u have this problem just in SPORT version or even in LUXURY version?

I actually have a sport car that has this rattle as well and it is even not LEXUS.

Please let me know asap!

Thank you in advance.

Kate

Kate

All versions of IS 250 has rattles - Sport, SE, SEL(both Petrol and Diesel). I had IS250 SEL(55) for 7 months, rattles(severe) came free with it. I now have a Sport(06) - it has started rattling(minor). I have driven almost every version and color of IS 250 from the dealer - all of them had rattles! Dont believe if the dealer say to you that new cars are free from rattles - never, thats a freebie from Lexus....but I still love this car.....

Thank you for ur reply.

And when did u notice that strange noise? I guess I will have to ask for another test drive and will check it out... Now I am soo desperate, cuz I don't wanna spend that lot of money for BRAND NEW CAR that will sound like an old rattletrap! :angry:

I thought that LEXUS cars are extremely quiet...

Hmmmmm I am still debating between BMW3 and LEXUS IS250.....

Any advices what shall I do? :unsure:

You need to borrow them from a dealer for a weekend each. Try the Lexus first.

That way you will give them both a good run. Also insist on a drive of the BMW with the spec close to your budget (so if you would have sat nav in the BMW ask them to get you one with that, and drive the Lex with MM).

That way you'll know what you're getting.

Everyones needs are different. If you need bigger doors (at the back) and more space, the BMW is better. If you want value for money the Lexus is better.

Thank you for ur reply.

And when did u notice that strange noise? I guess I will have to ask for another test drive and will check it out... Now I am soo desperate, cuz I don't wanna spend that lot of money for BRAND NEW CAR that will sound like an old rattletrap! :angry:

I thought that LEXUS cars are extremely quiet...

Hmmmmm I am still debating between BMW3 and LEXUS IS250.....

Any advices what shall I do? :unsure:

Kate

Lexus IS 250 is still a better car.

My SEL had rattles from day one. It took months for them to sort that out. It still had rattles when I sold it. The other demos I drove had rattles when the car was cold or in some cases, during the first drive itself.

There are some members who have rattle free IS 250's. I dont think LexusGB have done anything to address this problem, then tend to ignore and pretend as if they havent heard or been informed of this.

The positive side of this is that the some dealers are very good, I mean Customer Service, I would be really surprised if you get this kind of service from BMW or Mercedes. You wouldnt be disappointed with IS 250, a much better car than BMW. Be different, go for the IS. Apparently there is a waiting period of 4-6months. The approved ones(06) are very good and value for money. I traded in my SEL for Sports, less problems at least till today!

you wrote: "If you want value for money the Lexus is better." WHat did u mean by that? Are LEXUS better when u wanna sell it later? or did u mean that BMW are more expensive? BECAUSE This BMW3 that I wanted had almost everyhting that LEXUS and the price was very similar.

I actually already test drove BMW3 (it was gr8, but I didn't like the interior) and if I wanted one I will have to wait 3 months! =( And this Lexus they already have in stock so I would have it in few days. :)

I even asked the dealer about the "rattle thning" and of course he pretended like that he hears it first time and he just told me that this problems have had GS in the past, but it is all solved now.

OMG who wants a car that rattle??? :angry:

Not sure if I should take this risk and get this car and just hope that it won't rattle. I have generally very bad experiences with car services and I wanted to get this car mostly cuz of the RELIABLE THING and that I will finally avoid car services!!! :crybaby:

And one last question... I test drove only IS 250 in sport version and it seemed quite stiff and I could feel there every hole on the road... Is luxury more quiet and comfy??? I would like to get this luxury version, but I cann't test drive it right now...

Please let me know!

THX! :D

~Kate

you wrote: "If you want value for money the Lexus is better." WHat did u mean by that? Are LEXUS better when u wanna sell it later? or did u mean that BMW are more expensive? BECAUSE This BMW3 that I wanted had almost everyhting that LEXUS and the price was very similar.

I actually already test drove BMW3 (it was gr8, but I didn't like the interior) and if I wanted one I will have to wait 3 months! =( And this Lexus they already have in stock so I would have it in few days. :)

I even asked the dealer about the "rattle thning" and of course he pretended like that he hears it first time and he just told me that this problems have had GS in the past, but it is all solved now.

OMG who wants a car that rattle??? :angry:

Not sure if I should take this risk and get this car and just hope that it won't rattle. I have generally very bad experiences with car services and I wanted to get this car mostly cuz of the RELIABLE THING and that I will finally avoid car services!!! :crybaby:

And one last question... I test drove only IS 250 in sport version and it seemed quite stiff and I could feel there every hole on the road... Is luxury more quiet and comfy??? I would like to get this luxury version, but I cann't test drive it right now...

Please let me know!

THX! :D

~Kate

hi all the new range have firm rides its better on the base model with 16 inch wheels but not too different from the BMw 3 series we have had rattle issues with both cars but now both are quiet..one little better than the other I agree with you the BMw interior is cheap and very dull to say the least I beleive the rattle fixes are in place on cars built after May so none are ih the Uk yet So wait a bit, But all said and done they are lovely cars..BTw the audio on the BMw is very poor compared to Lexus so if it rattles just turn up th e volume alan

Value for money - for the price here in the UK of a 325SE, with nothing - not even metallic paint (unless it's standard) you get a IS250SE with Leather, e/seats, keyless go, 17" wheels and better tyres, 6 CD changer etc etc etc.

The BMW has none of these things. When you go to partexchange or sell in the future, the dealer will not give you too much more for the extra's on the BMW. The partexchange and depreciation is against base price plus what ever the dealer or buyer is prepared to pay you for any extras you have had fitted (normall 10% max). That's where you win with the Lexus.

You get much more for your money.

The ride of the SE is only slightly more softer than the Sport.

PS - I had the choice of an Exdemo 320d when I bought my Lex (new). The BMW had almost everything the Lexus had, for the same price, but it was nearly one year old. The dealer was prepared to haggle.

That BMW would have cost £35,500 new!! And it did not have cooled seats or Smart Access/Keyless Go. It had no rear camera etc...and it was 12 months old! My Lex was £27,273 new!! So that BMW had lost over £8000 in one year and 6000 miles!

7k on the clock, SE black + MMedia + automatic, had the car since Nov 05. NO rattle for 7 months. started some occasional rattle if i press my left leg against the main board but overall very/hyper quiet (which is why you can hear occasional plastic squeak or even the tread on your wheels :)) and lovely at high speeds!

The problem with the rattles seem to be that they are not all from the same place and this must be a headache for Lexus.

My rattlle was coming from the glove compartment area and I suspected that it was the contents but I could not identify what. Eventually found that the culprit was at the rear of this compartment.

I Removed the shelf and then removed the access panel for the Climate Control filter. With this removed, I was able to re-create the rattle by pushing against a panel that extends from the top of the access gap around the top of the compartment.

This panel was vibrating against the filter framework to the left and also against a bar at the top. Padded these two areas with some sponge, replaced the access panel and the shelf and hey presto, no rattle.

Worth a try if your rattle is coming from this area.

Hi

I am new to forums etc, this is my first lexus.

But I received my Lexus 220d base model on the 2/6/06 ordering back in february. I have driven to date 3500 miles and the only noise I have had was from steering wheel area but after I adjusted the steering to how I like it, there was no more rattles.

I drive over a very poor surface morning and evening for about a mile which used to show up all the rattles in my last car and again not one rattle.

My only fault to date which seems the same as everyone else with a diesel is the interior mirror vibrating but I have got used to it and me having that wonderful stereo to loud doesnt help.

*** I love my new lexus.

I've had a bit of a nightmare with my IS250SE with MM. It was 1st Registered on the 30th Nov 2005 and I have had one or two problems with it. Firstly after about 3000 miles the seat started to squeak. It got worse and worse. Then Lexus agreed to change the seat (which took about a month for them to get authorisation from Lexus uk).

Had the car back after the new seat was installed and some more rattles started to appear and the dash became slightly loose on the drivers side. The rattles came from right next to my ear (drivers side) which I guessed was the seat belt and from various places on the dash. There was also a rattle coming from around the air vent which was really bad when going over uneven surfaces. The sounds seemed to be the same on the passenger side but not as loud. There was also a very bad rattle when the car revved over 5000 rpm. This was annoying when using the engine for breaking when going down steep hills.

Lexus took the car in to inspect it and said that some dashboard clips had snapped and needed replacing and they would need the car for 2 days to do it. When they took my car in (Tuesday) they fixed the dashboard and said that the rattle from high revs was coming up the steering column and they needed to order some parts which should be in the next day. The next day Lexus phoned me to say that the parts had not arrived and they should arrive the next day. The next day Lexus phoned me to say that they parts had arrived but they had not cured the rattle and it was in fact the steering lock which was now on order but would not be in until the following week.

So I went to pick my car up and when I started to drive away the airbag light would not switch off. I stopped the car after about 10 feet and asked them what was wrong with it. They said I couldn't take it and I had to leave it with them. They then phoned me the next day to say that it was the airbag CPU that was causing the problem and that one was on order. The next day Lexus phoned me to say that they had fitted the new CPU and it had cured it but when they took it on a test drive the light came on again and they would have to order another CPU for the airbag system. At the same time, the steering lock had not arrived when it was supposed to and would be in the following week. At this point Lexus have had my car for nearly 2 weeks and it is still not fixed. Fingers crossed it will be ready soon. I just hope that all the rattles and squeaks have been fixed when I get it back, that's IF the parts come in. Lexus do seem to be having a really bad problem getting hold of parts for the IS250.

In the meantime Lexus have given me a loan car. A nice GS300. But to be honest, I think my IS is a better car and I'm missing it. :crying:

Fingers crossed I will get it back Monday or Tuesday but is just seems like the car keep breaking.......... To be continued......

@Dayglows, hope it works out fine for you but I doubt all noise can be fixed properly. It's most likely you will still get the old and some new bug after the fix as I've mentioned before.