Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Brake Fluid Reservoir Cap

Would much appreciate advice on how to put the black plastic lid back on the plastic brake fluid reservoir, and also any advice on how it could have come off in the first place.

I have been using the car much less regularly than usual over the past few weeks so have not needed to open the bonnet much to top up windscreen washer water, but when I opened it up tonight the brake fluid cap was lying under the bonnet on the sill by the windscreen, as though it had been taken off, laid down there and not put back. Could the recent hot weather have caused it to "pop out", or is it more likely to have been lying there since it was last serviced 4 months ago (30k service at Lexus Croydon)?

And is this likely to have compromised the fluid in there, as it says on the cap that it should be cleaned before removal?

I've spent the last half hour trying to screw the cap back on again, but unless there is a special "knack", I can't work out how, and I can't find anything in the manual (probably because it's so obvious!).

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Rob

id say its been left off, pretty impossible to pop off
id say its been left off, pretty impossible to pop off

Thanks Monster-Mat. Can you tell me whether changing brake pads would involve taking that cap off?

Reason I ask is that when I got the car serviced, Lexus Croydon said the front brake pads needed replacing, but their price was so extortionate that I got the pads replaced by Nationwide Autocentres the following day instead, so I don't want to point the finger at Lexus if the "left off" cap wasn't their fault. But I still don't know how to fit it back on again.

Rob

Putting the cap on is very easy..... just push it down gently and give it about a quarter turn clockwise.....

Changing the pads ... they might of released some fluid from the caliper to help push the pistons back to make room for the new pads, possibly took the cap off to top up the reservoir afterwards.....

Maybe they damaged the cap when taking it off ?

this might explain why you are having trouble getting it on!

Putting the cap on is very easy..... just push it down gently and give it about a quarter turn clockwise.....

Changing the pads ... they might of released some fluid from the caliper to help push the pistons back to make room for the new pads, possibly took the cap off to top up the reservoir afterwards.....

Maybe they damaged the cap when taking it off ?

this might explain why you are having trouble getting it on!

Many thanks Noel, that sounds likely explanation. I'll have a closer look in better daylight tomorrow. Do you think I have any worries about the fluid having become contaminated because of the cap being off for about 4 months? Done about 4000 miles over that time, but bonnet been open probably no more than twice (didn't notice the displaced cap first time)?

Rob

Wouldn't hazard a guess about contamination ( brake fluid does absorb water though ).

I'd get the fluid flushed out and replaced to be on the safe side,

Did any brake fluid splash up out off the reservoir?... It's corrosive stuff

yes I would get the fluid replaced as it would have absorbed water which can lead to poor braking performance and also rust the brake lines.

Thanks Colin, and to Noel for earlier post.

Having had a closer look after the match this evening, I saw that the fluid level was above the maximum mark, and having siphoned off about 100 ml the cap now screws on OK.

I'll see what Nationwide Autocentre says tomorrow, as it must have been their fault, but I doubt whether they will accept that after about 4 months. I'll get the fluid replaced anyway.

Thanks again for everybody's help.

Rob

In case it's of any interest, I'm pleased to say that despite the time taken for me to notice the problem, Nationwide Autocentre had no hesitation in apologising and flushed / replaced the brake fluid within 24 hrs of my contacting them. That is excellent customer service, and I'll be back to them next time I need work doing.

Rob