Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sratched My New Lex!

Going round the tinest of roads (with cars parked round the bend!) I managed to scuff the rear left door and wheel arch. The lower half of the car is actually about 6 inches wider than the width of the car at the window height. The sratch doesn't actually look to severe but have had a quote from Jemco for £600! Needless to say i need to shop around, any suggestions, aside from avoid narrow roads!

Cheers

Ooops. Going thru insurance or just paying for their repairs?

From my own soon, and to be a lot lighter, wallet

I trust you've first sorted out repairs for the owner whose parked car you damaged, before sorting your own car?

Ooops. Going thru insurance or just paying for their repairs?

I trust you've first sorted out repairs for the owner whose parked car you damaged, before sorting your own car?

Is this the Spanish inquisition? No their pile of rust has tougher body work than my flimsy IS. Not a mark on theirs, except my paint that is.

Anyway back to the subject of this thread...

Ah, hence the need to limit the cost of repair. Tried getting a quote from Chips Away? What colours the car? If its something like silver then don't bother - they struggle to match the paint, but a nice non-metalic paint they might be able to repair ok.

I had similar damage last year to mine. Instead of a car, it was a bollard. Unfortunately, the bollard that scraped me didn't have insurance, so I paid for it myself. I had the whole side sprayed because there was an earlier key mark across the four side panels. The job cost EUR 600, which was the cheapest quote in Dublin. (highest was about EUR 800).

I would strongly recommend you go for the best job possible. The colour match from this job was not perfect and the slight difference in colour was evident between the body and the bumpers (which weren't sprayed). In addition, the orange peel was quite evident. I know it's a lot of money now, but you may regret it afterwards. (Incidently the colour was a year 2000 red on an IS200 so maybe it was difficult to match anyway - I reckon black should be much easier. Strangely, I went for red again this time!).

For this reason, when I bought the IS250 earlier this year, I opted for step-back protection so that I could claim any such future pillar encounters on my insurance without penalty!

I had similar damage last year to mine. Instead of a car, it was a bollard. Unfortunately, the bollard that scraped me didn't have insurance, so I paid for it myself. I had the whole side sprayed because there was an earlier key mark across the four side panels. The job cost EUR 600, which was the cheapest quote in Dublin. (highest was about EUR 800).

I would strongly recommend you go for the best job possible. The colour match from this job was not perfect and the slight difference in colour was evident between the body and the bumpers (which weren't sprayed). In addition, the orange peel was quite evident. I know it's a lot of money now, but you may regret it afterwards. (Incidently the colour was a year 2000 red on an IS200 so maybe it was difficult to match anyway - I reckon black should be much easier. Strangely, I went for red again this time!).

For this reason, when I bought the IS250 earlier this year, I opted for step-back protection so that I could claim any such future pillar encounters on my insurance without penalty!

i don't like the sound of theat. i've got the Chips guy coming to have a look but I want the whole thing to look pristine. I might try to take a snap so you can the extent of it.

i don't like the sound of theat. i've got the Chips guy coming to have a look but I want the whole thing to look pristine. I might try to take a snap so you can the extent of it.

If you want pristine I'd avoid Chips Away - you'll always be able to see the repair - even they say the repairs are only 90% perfect (they use wierd plasticky paint).

Not sure whereabouts in London you are but I had good results with these guys here.

good luck getting it sorted.

Stay away from those dent/scratch wizard cowboys. The work is good for 2 weeks or until you wash the car. You will have no comeback when it washes away and trust me it does.

Just a note....

You may invalidate your 12 yr Lexus body warranty if you do not have it repaired via a toyota/Lexus approved bodyshop.

Read youe T&C's or contact Lexus GB before going elsewhere.