Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Satnav Housing

Hello all, i have brought a satnav housing and screen for my IS, its all arrived and i just need a bit of information from you IS Guru's. I need too know what wires are what on the side. There is Red, White and black i beleive. what colours what? I know i need ACC, Grnd and 12V. Also how do i get to wire the screen up to a AV output on my other monitor? do i need a special adapter. cheers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i just found that topic :D Very helpful with the wirring... just still a bit stumped on how im going to wire up a AV output up to the monitor in the satnav? its the standard screen.... do i need to replace this screen with a aftermarket one?

Sam :P

Yeah i just found that topic :D Very helpful with the wirring... just still a bit stumped on how im going to wire up a AV output up to the monitor in the satnav? its the standard screen.... do i need to replace this screen with a aftermarket one?

Sam :P

Yes.... easiest solution! :)

I would rather try and get the screen i have already working first... how could i try and do it?

Ask Scarface! ............. :winky:

Not a simple task getting the original screen to work, you are way better off putting an aftermarket one in it's place.............

scarface please spread some light on the task at hand :blush: :D
Not a simple task getting the original screen to work, you are way better off putting an aftermarket one in it's place.............
your need an RGB convertor touse the stock screen, for the cost and hassle of fitting one you'd be better off getting a touchscreen one..

................ What these guys are saying mate.

Forget the convertor unit, just get your self a decent 7" touchscreen liliput ........ and stick that in there ! It's been done before, and looks good !

:winky:

ok, Only thing is i want it too look as OEM as possible. i dont want all the surrounding bits showing etc on the aftermarket monitor just want a screen that will sit in the normal housing nice and flush. Some i have seen look really out of place, How do i go about fitting the RGB Convertor?

How do i go about fitting the RGB Convertor?

If you fit an aftermarket screen , just plug in the AV cables that come with it......... you only need a rgb convertor if you were trying to get the original screen to work.......These convertors were custom made and can't be got at present as far as i know.....ok

Measure your housing as there were two different types, Older CD based unit had a smaller screen than the newer DVD unit.....

Be certain of the dimensions before buying

My screen size visible......... 155mm width X 92mm height, bear in mind that dimensions quoted on websites can be total external

i have a older screen as it looks loads smaller than the others on here, Hmmm i want to try and use the screen that came with it as it gives it the OEM look which i was after. Does anybody know what all the pins are on the back of the screen? ive wired up the 12V, ACC and Ground pins today, all works fine and opens closes a treat. Cant i just try and butcher a AV cable up and stick it to the nesscery pins and use it that way? or am i talking :tsktsk: ?

no you cant butcher any wires for the AV, to use the stock screen you NEED an RGB convertor.

replacing the screen with a touchscreen one WILL look OEM, and is better cause you wont need a keyboard and mouse....

ok, its going to be quite difficult to find a screen that will fit as its quite small. its 5.1 inchs in width and 3 inchs in height. :blink: any idea on where i can get my hands on one, not touch screen i just want to wire it up as another monitor for my movies.

Anybody know the inside dimensions of the sat nav? Ive sourced a good 5" screen at a great price and not sure whether it will fit.

Please shed some light :D

Which housing have you got, CD or DVD?

I have the DVD housing and i make it internal 175 X 112 X 25 approx.......

Some people take the new screen out of it's casing to get it to fit, but find that they haven't gained that much while in the process voiding their screen warranty!

I assume mine is for the CD based system then. I bought the housing off The Don and im certain it measures less than that. Ive bought a 5" screen measuring 145x100x25(mm)

I mean the actual visible size you'd see if something is placed inside the unit.

I know I have 30 odd mm extra once the screen is wedged inside the housing itself if that makes sense.

I assume mine is for the CD based system then. I bought the housing off The Don and im certain it measures less than that. Ive bought a 5" screen measuring 145x100x25(mm)

I mean the actual visible size you'd see if something is placed inside the unit.

I know I have 30 odd mm extra once the screen is wedged inside the housing itself if that makes sense.

Actual visible (seen)- for the DVD housing is 155mm X 92mm which is 7" diagonal...... :)

Not being smart but could you go and measure yours and post up what it is for a CD housing? :blink:

6" Corner to corner. Roughly 130mm X 75mm.

Also have 20mm from window edge to the inside roof, and 15mm from window edge to the bottom of the housing and about 10mm either side. Thus meaning total area space inside the unit itself should house my 6 screen snuggly. (Apprx 150mm X 110mm)

:D

hey fellas, i've ordered the lilliput 7in screen, and pretty much either gonna use me dremel

to make sure it fits in :lol: or use the install guides here to get rid

of the lilliput housing case and fit the innards in the sat nav housing. i've got rid of the original screen

and only have the motor in the housing at the mo so hopefully should have plenty of space. :D