Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Suspension ?

el_gencer

Really what does this TEIN kit do!! i'm a bit baffled by all your abbreviations etc someone please enlighten me?

The Tein kit is a complete new suspension for your car.Its designed for good handling,but without lossing to much ride comfort.

Basic terms....new coil springs and shock absorbers,but its together as one unit,the coilspring sits on the outside of the shock absorber instead of the spring being separate to the shock..

This allows for the ride height of the car to be adjusted,with lowing springs you fit say 20mm lowered so the cars 20mm lower but thats it.If you wont to change the ride height you will have to fit a different ride height spring.

Teins.....So the ride height can be changed but not from inside the car it has to be jacked up and adjusted manually with a spanner.

EDFC.......Electronic Damping Force Controller.

You dont need to buy this box of tricks as the shock absorbers can be adjusted manually with a tool in the kit.

But EDFC allows for the shock absorbers to be adjusted from instead the car without having to get youe hands dirty.So if you happen to drive along a bumpy bad bit of road you can adjust the shocks to a softer setting from inside the car as your moving along.

Hope thats explained it abit for you.

Chips..

Can anyone recommend some in or near east yorkshire that can supply the type flex with edfc, fit it and offer the all important gold club discount ?

Mine were fitted at charlesworth motors, very good service and highly recommended. No need for Gold discount there, there prices are below the competitors by far and well worth the extra miles travel.

As for suppliers, not too sure.

Quick question ........

How does Tony ( or any garage) set the geometry for motorised coil overs?

I mean if you have them on soft or hard isn't the amount of travel by the suspension alot different between each setting .... ?

Cheers :)

Hi,

There is a difference with the amount of movement in the suspension depending on weather you have the shocks set to max hard or max soft,but its not a Massive amount.

Tony stop me if im wrong.

I think the geometry is more about having all the wheels in parallel so the suspension sort of works as one living thing instead of each wheel fighting to go in another direction causing the car to drive unstable.

As long as the geometry is setup right for the car/tyre/wheel size/ride height etc i dont think you will have many problems :)

chips..

You did just fine :winky: The Geometry would be the position set for the average %... once done the manipulation of the height and dampening forces forms the variance in the handling... My advice is have the units fitted, recover the Geometry, play to your hearts content for 2000miles then on the 'fine tune' you decide the final Geometry/Suspension % ratio. This is as close as you can get to absolute Geometric perfection. To be noted non of my 'Trusted Centres' would do the fine tune free, so negotiate in advance!

Can anyone recommend some in or near east yorkshire that can supply the type flex with edfc, fit it and offer the all important gold club discount ?

Hi, we can supply them on a mail order basis directly to your house if needed, and provide a Gold Member discount too.

We can arrange fitment in Warrington at TDi North, but it's not really rocket science so any decent garage should be able to do it for you. The art is really in the "setting up" though, so you should find a good establishment for that.

Hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

:question: Hey there,

After reading these last posts ive decided to buy the Tein Flex kit. Im not too sure on buyin the electric control just yet as i may not use it! I was however readin on the Tein website that there is need for modification to be made to fit the kit.......what are these modifications?

Also theres a lot of people sayin about gettin the geometry set up correctly after having it fitted. As im still waitin for my wheels to arrive.....8weeks or so :crybaby: is it visable to have the geomerty set up after ive had them fitted too? Or can i have it all set up then the wheels put on when they get here? :huh::question:

Cheers Chris

After reading these last posts ive decided to buy the Tein Flex kit. Im not too sure on buyin the electric control just yet as i may not use it! I was however readin on the Tein website that there is need for modification to be made to fit the kit.......what are these modifications?

Also theres a lot of people sayin about gettin the geometry set up correctly after having it fitted. As im still waitin for my wheels to arrive.....8weeks or so :crybaby: is it visable to have the geomerty set up after ive had them fitted too? Or can i have it all set up then the wheels put on when they get here? :huh::question:

Cheers Chris

Wait untill you get the wheels mate. Especially if your uprgrading the size of them :)

Cheers Chris

You won't be dissappointed mate, excellent piece of kit.

Modifications? None that I know too. Just assemble and your away.

Ordered the kit last week, just waiting for the goods to arrive and then i need to get them fitted. Whats a good drop level to go for ? Dont want it too low as going over speed bumps might become tricky.

:offtopic:

How do i get it to say Gold on the left handside. I've gone gold, is there something i need to do ?

Ordered the kit last week, just waiting for the goods to arrive and then i need to get them fitted. Whats a good drop level to go for ? Dont want it too low as going over speed bumps might become tricky.

:offtopic:

How do i get it to say Gold on the left handside. I've gone gold, is there something i need to do ?

I've gone for 35 at the rear and 30 at the front.

Have a word with one of the admins, think its Steve you need to speak to.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...p?showuser=1293

Hi,

CIJ the EDFC to be honest is not a must have bit of kit.Yep its very clever in the way you can adjust the shocker stiifness,but in all honesty once i found a setup i liked ive not adjusted it since only when someones asked what the box is/does.

But on the other side of the coin its been alot easier adjusting the EDFC box rather than having to keep parking the car up and getting the spanner out and adjusting it by hand :D

Theres no reason why you cant buy the EDFC kit at a later date :)

Chips..

Alright there everyone,

Ok ive just got the price of the Tein Flex dampers, £998.75 :blink: I supose the price you have to pay for your car to look the bizz.

Im thinkin bout fitting the Kit myself, has anyone else done this and if so how much of a ba :tsktsk: rd is it? I replaced my front coilovers on my Mk2Golf some time ago and i didnt have any problems with that! If not should i pay for the company to fit them, does anyone know of decent companies up here in the North East?

My other question was, is there anythin else i should buy to do with the suspension/handling like anti roll bars or undercar chasis support? I will hopefully be supercharging the car in the future sometime, so i dont know if extra support is needed!

Cheers very much

Chris

Alright there everyone,

Ok ive just got the price of the Tein Flex dampers, £998.75 :blink: I supose the price you have to pay for your car to look the bizz.

Im thinkin bout fitting the Kit myself, has anyone else done this and if so how much of a ba :tsktsk: rd is it? I replaced my front coilovers on my Mk2Golf some time ago and i didnt have any problems with that! If not should i pay for the company to fit them, does anyone know of decent companies up here in the North East?

My other question was, is there anythin else i should buy to do with the suspension/handling like anti roll bars or undercar chasis support? I will hopefully be supercharging the car in the future sometime, so i dont know if extra support is needed!

Cheers very much

Chris

Anti Roll bars are a must.. They are an excellent mod and reall make a huge difference to handling :D

MACRS200 (Neil) has fitted coilovers himself and is very clued up about them. Send him a PM if he doesnt read this

Hi CIJ,

Dont worry about how the car looks :D to me its more about how it drives ;)

Around £1000 is about right as to the price.

Myself id see how the car drives with the coilovers and make your mind up later on about the roll bars.

I totally agree with what ad77 is saying about the roll bars but id do one thing at a time and keep your bank balance in the black ;)

Chips..

• 1 month later...

dunno if its a bit too late. But i'd like to put in my views (as its been pretty one sided so far, as I guess most ppl use TEIN and havent used HKS coilovers).

I have personally used all 3, SS, Flex, and also HKS Hipermax LS+. I am currently using TRD suskit (yellow) coilovers.

personally, if I had to choose between the 3 (SS, Flex, LS+), I would go for the HKS kit.

The amount of control you have with the LS+ is alot more granula than with the TEINs. Also, with HKS, you can get purchase rebuild services which basically refreshes your entire set (using new parts that get worn) for a fraction of the price. So near new kit, low price every few years.

with the same kit, you can truely get varied stiffness, as you can feel a dramatic diff between the hardest and softest setting. The quality is top notch too. After using FLEX for 6 months, I started hearing knocking. The SS ones started to knock nearly immediately, and got a small creaking noise from the springs if going over speed bumps "Very" slowly.

Regarding EDFC, i never bothered, cos I liked to just play with the knobs myself. Bear in mind that it only adjusts the stiffness, which is the same as if you twisted the knobs by hand when you pop the hood.

I personally love my TRD kit at the mo .....

My 2 cents worth :-)

personally, if I had to choose between the 3 (SS, Flex, LS+), I would go for the HKS kit.

I'm inclined to agree with you Bernard, the HKS kits are fantastic although a lot more expensive that TEIN etc.

If anyone is interested, we have one HKS Hypermax 2 kit available with a BIG discount. Please PM me if interested. Thanks :)

Hi,

I will agree there is some knocking noises from my Teins but its not enough for me to get worried about at the moment as there still under warranty.

As to the adjustment with EDFC you can choose from 32 settings not that ive had to choose that finely,im still on the 16 settings.I do find the spring/shock rates very good.

Each to there own at the end of the day :)

Chips..

i find with the teins they seem to complement the car more on road use than the standard suspension, i cant comment on track use yet. they take away alot of the roll and give the car more point. they aint cheap though. i've not really used the edfc much, only to show off really:-) , its something different that most people dont have and it does allow you to tailor your setup easily. having said that i'm on 15 front and 16 back for everyday driving, which is a bit more firmer than stock. the good thing with teins is that they also off a refurb service on them as well and you get a load of stickers in the box.

cij, i got mine fitted at charlesworth motors near manchester, but seeing as you are from sunderland thats a fair drive, for me it was a 160 mile round trip but i can safely that they did a sterling job at reasonable price to boot.