Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Sat Nav Worth It?

After selling the Aristo and much mulling over at what type of car to buy I keep getting drawn back to an IS200 (again!) :hehe: - something like a 2000 model.

Seen a couple of the Navigator ones for sale and just want to know if the sat nav is worth the extra cost? Also how easy is it to then hook this up to a DVD player or freeview box?

Cheers,

Miles

After selling the Aristo and much mulling over at what type of car to buy I keep getting drawn back to an IS200 (again!) :hehe: - something like a 2000 model.

Seen a couple of the Navigator ones for sale and just want to know if the sat nav is worth the extra cost? Also how easy is it to then hook this up to a DVD player or freeview box?

Cheers,

Miles

I guess it depends on the extra cost, if it was a few hundred then I would say yes - comparable with a portable solution but you've got it integrated.

I've seen pictures of the Navigator screen being used for DVD playback but can't recall anyone hooking in Freeview.

what pip said really,

I have the factory sat nav in and its not that good. Only get it if your actually going to use it and even then i think portables are better now as you can update/personalise etc on them.

ive used my sat nav once since ive had the car and in reality its not worth the extra cost.

the plus is that it does look snazzy when it pops up out of the dash and its an extra gadget.

I have recently purchased a Nuvi 350 for the wife's car and it is brilliant. The detail maps in Spain are better than the DVD system in my LS (which is only 18 months old) and it's an MP3 player AND it connects to my Bluetooth phone for hands free calls. :)

I don't know about the older CD-based nav systems, but if I were to do it again, I'd still go for the factory fit - well possibly one of those new pioneer systems, but basically not a portable one

Not sure if these are isolated cases, but I do a fair amount of driving in central london, and when I've been in mate's cars with Tomtoms, they really don't seem to be able to keep up when the streets are close together

Obviously if you don't drive in central london, this won't affect you, and you may prefer the extra functionality that the portable ones seem to offer

:) I have the factory fit and it is useful, and does look cool when it pops up.

On the downside :

1)As previously stated CD's a very expensive if you want the latest

2)No overlay compatability (i.e. speed camera, resturants etc)

3)Can't program it on the move (only when statioary)

4)Doesnt show current speed (this might sound daft but the GPS give and acurrate speed your speed probably wont)

5)You cant use it in another car :blink:

6)No postcode input

7)Can't change the voice

8)Screen goes dark if lights are on (fine if dark but a pain if raining and lights are on)

9)Will be very expensive it if breaks to replace.

On the upside

1)Is very easy to use ()when stationary)

2)Has clear instructions

3)Gives a nice highlight of route when approaching a change (i.e. roundabout, junction etc)

4)Looks cool

5)Thefts probably wont break into your car for it.

6)You'll get a bit back when you sell the car, as an nice extra to have

7)You cant forget it (i.e.when you need it it's not in the other car)

Hope this helps :D :D :D

On the downside :

8)Screen goes dark if lights are on (fine if dark but a pain if raining and lights are on)

Screen works off a separate sensor to the lights, mine work independently of each other

And if you switch it over to day mode, it only dims the screen and won't make it switch the screen colours :)

On the downside :

Screen works off a separate sensor to the lights, mine work independently of each other

And if you switch it over to day mode, it only dims the screen and won't make it switch the screen colours :)

Intresting, how do you do it ?