Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aircon Sour Smell

get urself to Halfords, and buy a can of AC cleaner but dont get the one with the long tube - you wont get it near the evaporator where the smell comes from.

you need to get the smoke bomb type, push the cap down and it locks and keeps spraying the chemical after u have released the button.

quick easy and efficient.

I was the one who had the thread about this. In the end I made Lexus fix it as it is a common problem with the IS 250 - especially here in Oz where humidity is high. Lexus acknowledge this- grudgingly after first putting it down to "environmental issues" - bollocks. I never actually got told where the stench was coming from but they eventually fixed it on the second try - after a full system clean and steam cleaning the carpets and seats.

You're under warranty so make it their problem. But if you are fed up with all the service visits the AC cleaner should do it - or the steam trick mentioned in the thread I started

I have had this in my old Peugeot, never tried all that chemical stuff, just followed advice from a local independant garage -

Switch engine on

Stick the Aircon on

Put onto manual (not auto climate)

Full Heat

Leave running at medium fan speed and all vents open with all windows closed/idle for 30 minutes after engine fully warmed

Hey presto all fungal spores/bacteria killed!!

Dunno if this works on the new IS (as the spores could be in the pollen filter in the glovebox), but it did the trick on the Pug.

I have had this in my old Peugeot, never tried all that chemical stuff, just followed advice from a local independant garage -

Switch engine on

Stick the Aircon on

Full Heat

Leave running at medium fan speed and all vents open with all windows closed/idle for 30 minutes after engine fully warmed

Dunno if this works on the new IS (as the spores could be in the pollen filter in the glovebox), but it did the trick on the Pug.

That sounds like a top tip.

Aircon is one of those things that really should be used regularly, if not all the time. Not using aircon for long periods can affect the seals and lead to a build up of bacteria leading to smells. Some people don't use the aircon during the winter months and then get a musty smell when they first switch it on in the Spring.

Switch engine on

Stick the Aircon on

Full Heat

That sounds like a top tip.

Aircon is one of those things that really should be used regularly, if not all the time. Not using aircon for long periods can affect the seals and lead to a build up of bacteria leading to smells. Some people don't use the aircon during the winter months and then get a musty smell when they first switch it on in the Spring.

Thanks the car is almost new so I was surprised I read somewhere that toyota sell an aicon cleaner but Iwill take it back.I do use the aicon summer and winter surprised this has happened so early on

alan

The IS250 in Australia come with a pollution sensor as standard. This will set the A/C airflow on recirc if it detects any exhaust fumes. It is very sensitive and seemed to spend a lot of time on recirc and not much time of fresh. When using this feature I found the AC started to get smelly when the car was started each time.

I manually set the AC to fresh, which disables the pollution sensor, and the smell went away. I later adjusted the sensitivity of the pollution sensor down and when used, it now uses fresh more often, also keeping the AC smell at bay.

The IS250 aircon is strong enough to operate on fresh most of the time anyway even on a really hot day. Even when set on fresh, it will briefly select recirc when you start the car on a hot day, just to speed up the cool down. It automatically switches back to fresh once the car has cooled a little.

Fresh is best. :D