Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Early Oil Change

HI

Does anyone think its a good idea to change the oil in the diesel engine before the 10k.. I have always changed oil every 6 months and as theoil is only Shell Helix and not fully synthetic I wonder if its a good idea.

alan

Ps I once listened to merc ( according to the service book) and by 50k the engine was drinking oil..only to be told you should have changed the oil more often!!

Changing the oil can only be a good thing. Better fresher oil improves drive smoothness, accerlation, and even better mpg :D

I have a mate who's got an Audi A4 on about 250k miles and drops the oil every 5k miles. Still sounds sweet as a nut.

Most people don't change the oil as often as it gets expensive, if you can afford it, do it! :D

On my civic vti rocket ship i changed it every 4500 miles although the period was 9000.I agree that really the more often the better as long as you can afford it. :blush:

Changing your engine oil & filter every 5K miles / 6 months is the best thing you can do to keep your motor running sweet!

Use a OEM filter and fully synthetic oil and that baby will keep on running for ever :D

Where would you get an OEM filter for the IS250? What oil should i use? Could I bring it to my local greasy garage or should I take it to a main dealer for the change?

I'm coming up to 7,000km, so it would be a good time for it.

Where would you get an OEM filter for the IS250? What oil should i use? Could I bring it to my local greasy garage or should I take it to a main dealer for the change?

I'm coming up to 7,000km, so it would be a good time for it.

Filter from Mr T's parts counter

Oil - a decent fully synthetic such as Mobil No1, Castrol Magnatex, Fuchs Supersyn etc.

Either do the change yourself or get a local independent to do it. Lexus will rape you......

you can never change ur oil too often, here's a link for a easy-drain plug for you diy-ers. (aimed at 4x4 vehicles, but may be ok for majority of cars, i used to have one on my hilux surf, and it made changing the oil soooo easy)

link

edit- the direct link doesn't seem to work, select drainplug from the dropdown menu,

HI

Does anyone think its a good idea to change the oil in the diesel engine before the 10k.. I have always changed oil every 6 months and as theoil is only shell helix and not fully synthetic I wonder if its a good idea.

alan

Ps I once listened to merc ( according to the service book) and by 50k the engine was drinking oil..only to be told you should have changed the oil more often!!

Alan I have a simpler view (not really)

If you are going to keep the car for more than 3 years/100,000 or you have lots of short journeys then it is a good idea. If not, what's the point? The engine should easily last 3 years from new even with manufacturer recommended intervals. All you do is add cost, which doesn't increase the value of your car...

Even then, with my old A4 I stuck to Audi's Long Life plan, and the car didn't have it's first change of oil until 22800 miles!! At 44000 it was still running as sweet as a nut and had it's 2nd...and by then it was drinking a quarter-half of a litre of oil every every 5000 miles (which for an old design oiler is very very good) and reducing. Mind you most of my miles were warm engine, and that I think is the key.

I was gonna get it changed at 1000 miles in the IS, but now I'm not sure how long I keep it for so haven't bothered. The jury is out on whether I keep it 6 years as I had originally intended (and I can hear that RS4 and the GS450h beckoning).

If you're gonna stick a big fat turbo on it then sure, every few 000 is a good idea...

I think oil change intervals must be the one subject that sparks the most debate on these type of forums. I've learnt from experience that those who propose 5k oil change intervals will never be convinced otherwise and those sticking to the manufacturers' 10k, likewise. Tests on oil at 5k and 10k have proved that the oil has not significantly degraded in that distance and the oil filters are just as effective, so on that evidence the 5k changes are not strictly necessary, but won't do any harm and some people consider it cheap insurance.

Audi have the Longlife Service Plan with up to 20k oil change intervals but this was a marketing LED initiative that then put the onus on the oil and filter companies to produce products that could meet this extended length of service interval. The jury is still out whether or not they have achieved it and the system is a nightmare to control so there is a move back to annual/10k changes there.

The Americans have a mentality driven by quick lube chains and the oil companies that 5 or 3k changes are essential - ignoring 30 years of technological advances in oil and filter technology, or environmental concerns.

just a quick question, is this castrol gtx magnatec 10w40 a fully synthetic??anyone use it?

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdeta...ntentId=6008732

And the reccomendation by castrol for the is200 is EDGE 0W-30 OR

Alternative recommendation GTX MAGNATEC 10W-40 ?? Which is better?

According to the data sheets, Magnatec is a highly refined mineral oil and is offered as an alternative to Castrol Edge, which is fully synthetic. I suppose from that you can suppose that Magnatec is not quite as good as Edge and this is reflected in the price. However, Edge is specifically designed for extended oil change intervals so if you are just changing your oil every 10k miles I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference.

The manual states use 5w30 for the new IS. Fully synthetic. It's implied that the car uses mineral oil. I am confused.

I telephoned the dealer again, who states use only Synthetic Mobil 1. However, for the UK they do not do a 5w30!!

I do have a 1 ltr Castrol SLXIII (long life) 5w30 fully synth, and will use that as it complies for top up. The problem is that this oil is much more expensive then Mobil 1 as it endorsed by VAG and BMW for their long life intervals.

The point is does anyone definately know what's in the sump of the new IS? I thought it was Shell Helix Mineral....which is why the new IS is supposed to be cheaper to service, but the dealers insist on selling you fully synth...to make more money no doubt and the manual contradicts what we've been told via press releases.

Final point is that my 220d is still at 90% of the max on the dipstick and the car appears to have completely stopped taking any oil at all...even at nearly 3000 miles...amazing!

The manual states use 5w30 for the new IS. Fully synthetic. It's implied that the car uses mineral oil. I am confused.

I telephoned the dealer again, who states use only Synthetic Mobil 1. However, for the UK they do not do a 5w30!!

I do have a 1 ltr Castrol SLXIII (long life) 5w30 fully synth, and will use that as it complies for top up. The problem is that this oil is much more expensive then Mobil 1 as it endorsed by VAG and BMW for their long life intervals.

The point is does anyone definately know what's in the sump of the new IS? I thought it was Shell Helix Mineral....which is why the new IS is supposed to be cheaper to service, but the dealers insist on selling you fully synth...to make more money no doubt and the manual contradicts what we've been told via press releases.

Final point is that my 220d is still at 90% of the max on the dipstick and the car appears to have completely stopped taking any oil at all...even at nearly 3000 miles...amazing!

[/quote

Woodford use semi synthetic shell helix which is in the sump form new Are we be sold fully synthetic to bump up the cost of the service I feel its better to change the oil more often with semi anyway

alan

Well that's what puzzles me...just read the manual again...actually does not state fully synth anywhere!!

So I think if you're gonna kep the car long term change it as frequently as you can afford to!!

I too read that Lexus uses mineral oil in the new IS to reduce whole life maintenance costs.

There was something here:

http://www.carpages.co.uk/lexus/lexus-is-250-15-11-05.asp

and from the Lexus website relating to the GS:

http://www.lexus.co.uk/about_lexus/news_an...ents/gs450h.asp