Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Johnny-_-

Just like to say hello to you all at LOC, I am not quite a Lexus owner just yet but WILL be ASAP.

I have just sold my Mitsubishi Galant VR4 (Evo's brother) which will be sadly missed that is until I can get my IS200, I have £7,500 cash waiting to buy the right car.

So I am now on a serious hunt for a IS200 2000/2001 with 40k or less miles, with a FSH Auto if possible but would have the manual if the right car came along.

I have seen a wealth of knowledge and information on here already that has pointed me in the right direction, so thank you.

Look forward to being part of the fold very soon.

John B)

Welcome.

One thing I would say - have you driven an auto IS200 yet? Only reason is when I originally leased an IS200 back when they first appeared I tested the auto really didn't like it.

Some autos just seem to be better than others or go with the weight/power of the car better than others, i.e. my FTO GPX with tiptronic gearbox I thought was superb, the GS300 auto I got lent from a Lexus dealer was sweet as. Certainly no expert on autos but the IS auto just felt wrong.

Not saying don't get an auto, just saying make sure you test both the auto and the manual before you go on a proper hunt for your ideal IS.

Welcome.

One thing I would say - have you driven an auto IS200 yet? Only reason is when I originally leased an IS200 back when they first appeared I tested the auto really didn't like it.

Some autos just seem to be better than others or go with the weight/power of the car better than others, i.e. my FTO GPX with tiptronic gearbox I thought was superb, the GS300 auto I got lent from a Lexus dealer was sweet as. Certainly no expert on autos but the IS auto just felt wrong.

Not saying don't get an auto, just saying make sure you test both the auto and the manual before you go on a proper hunt for your ideal IS.

The RS200 tiptronic is just fantastic.... though i am abit biased :P

Welcome to the LOC.

Why the change from a Galant VR4 to the IS if you dont mind me asking?

Ive always liked the VR4 since i saw on Topgear years back with Tiff driving a Estate Version.

As to the Auto box,i drove my bosses IS200 Auto only on short trips,what i noticed is the about of slip in the box.It is strange to get used to at First against driving a larger engine car with a auto box that has more torque and less torque converter slip.

In short you put your foot down,the revs rise say 2k then the car moves forward.

Good Luck Looking for your New car.

Chips..

Welcome.

I haven't driven one yet but will certainly try both versions before I commit, the main reason why I was swaying towards the Auto was for the wife (new driver).

Do you have any pointers on where is best to source an IS200 from?

Do you have any pointers on where is best to source an IS200 from?

Personally, I prefer private sales. There are plenty of good vehicle check services via RAC/AA etc that will thouroughly check the vehicle for a fee and you will still save lots over any sort of dealer. If you want a warranty, again there are plenty of services available out there who will warranty (basically another insurance) your vehicle and you will still save dosh.

Personally I don't see any benefit in buying used from a dealer, you just pay a hefty premium becuase obviously they are there to make a profit at the end of the day.

I just use autotrader website for local (private) searches and eBay (but I would never bid on a car, just use it to find cars for sale, then go see and do it the old fashioned way).

Welcome to the LOC.

Why the change from a Galant VR4 to the IS if you dont mind me asking?

Ive always liked the VR4 since i saw on Topgear years back with Tiff driving a Estate Version.

As to the Auto box,i drove my bosses IS200 Auto only on short trips,what i noticed is the about of slip in the box.It is strange to get used to at First against driving a larger engine car with a auto box that has more torque and less torque converter slip.

In short you put your foot down,the revs rise say 2k then the car moves forward.

Good Luck Looking for your New car.

Chips..

Cheers Chips, I sold the car cause the Fuel costs were extortionate the VR4 does an average of 16-19mpg, if you put your foot down it was low single figures.

I was living most of the time at petrol stations, but then again it was emense fun to drive.

Looking forward to hunting and owning and IS200

Cheers

John

Hey John, and welcome...

and I think you may have enquired about my car recently???

Hiya Fidgits, that's right I enquired about your car a few weeks ago. Still looks a fantastic example and in the colour I want, I am trying to look for a car with less than 40k on the clock ( I know I am being picky).

I am surprised it's not sold yet I thought it would of been long gone. Good luck with the sale.

John

@ Johnny,

Lexus mpg won't be a lot better, thirsty cars for what they do... especially if you have a heavy right foot....

I had a Galant ( not Vr4) too before my Altezza, very nice drive but very hard to sell on... ( here in Ireland, might be different over there)

@ Johnny,

Lexus mpg won't be a lot better, thirsty cars for what they do... especially if you have a heavy right foot....

I had a Galant ( not Vr4) too before my Altezza, very nice drive but very hard to sell on... ( here in Ireland, might be different over there)

ATM anything will be better than the MPG ive been getting (note: must remove lead weight from right foot) :)

What's the difference between the Altezza and the non import?

Hey John, and welcome...

and I think you may have enquired about my car recently???

Hiya Fidgits, that's right I enquired about your car a few weeks ago. Still looks a fantastic example and in the colour I want, I am trying to look for a car with less than 40k on the clock ( I know I am being picky).

I am surprised it's not sold yet I thought it would of been long gone. Good luck with the sale.

John

Hi John,

No worries - sorry i didnt get you all the info but I was away with work... she hasnt gone because I decided to hang onto her for a while longer..

Good luck with the search!

Hi and welcome to LOC :D

What's the difference between the Altezza and the non import?

About 60 BHP is the easy answer to that one :D

The RS200 in standard tune is 200 BHP with the Tiptronic box and 210 BHP with the manual, it has a totally different engine. The AS200 is the same engine as the IS producing about 150 BHP.

welcome to the club man! yep if you're going for an A/T you might get bored quite easily especially after the V4 >>>>>>>>>> quite powerful i must admit.

Cheers Daffy, I am considering a manual also if the right car comes along and it's a manual I will have no hesitations handing over the cash.

• 3 weeks later...

I am taking my time to find the right car, but boy is it hard work. I have 7.5k cash waiting for an IS200 Blue, Black or Grey with less than 50k on the clock FSH (2000/2001) Auto but nothing has appeared recently.

Obviously the good ones will be sold quickly, anyone got any ideas where to search apart from -:

Autotrader

eBay

On LOC (of course)

Pistonheads

Fish

Compucars

Thanks in Advance

John

Try Autotrader with a different search radius.

Here's some from near me, admittedly I had to put £8k and 60k miles but look at the third and fourth car - the colour is wrong on one but it shows the cars are out there somewhere. They are the right models as well as a minimum you should be going for SE anyhow.

Autotrader Linky

Try Autotrader with a different search radius.

Here's some from near me, admittedly I had to put £8k and 60k miles but look at the third and fourth car - the colour is wrong on one but it shows the cars are out there somewhere. They are the right models as well as a minimum you should be going for SE anyhow.

Autotrader Linky

Thanks Rich & Chips for the links the 1st & 3rd on Autotrader have both been sold, will look at the other one. I am putting in various searches and willing to travel anywhere to get the right motor. I suppose waiting for the right car will be worth it in the end

I have found a IS 200 on Autotrader with the following as the description "2000 LEXUS IS 2.0 SE 4dr Auto Saloon, 28,500 miles, Metallic Charcoal, ABS, Air con, Alarm, 17"Alloy wheels + original 16" alloys & tyres,leather & suede cream int, heated seats, electric seats, cruise control, great conditon, tinted windows, low mileage. lady owner, 1 yr MOT, TAX, FSH. A head turner! Will consider sensible offers.Quick sale needed, hence new lower price!. £7,400. ono

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_...kcarsearch_full

There is some rust on the passenger wheel arch after a small scratch in a supermarket carpark, also the CD player doesn't work, but apart from that the lady say's it is in perfect order. She will also be fitting new pads all round before selling.

She has mentioned it was imported from Singapore does this mean it is the Altezza? Please could someone tell me this sounds dodgy or is a bargin?

Thanks

John