Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Line Failure...

tizer2000uk

Was driving home the other day when all of a sudden I notice the brake warning light come on, when I parked I noticed there was fluid dripping from the rear, where it is leaking there is no chance it could be from the flexible line and indeed looks like it might be coming from the main line.

How much of an arse is this to do and how much would a garage likely charge me?

Ty

Hi,

A few car accessory shops can make the lines up for you,if you know the length or take the old pipe as a patern.If one side is leaking then it wont be long before you get problems with the other unless the pipe has been damaged and not corroded.If its corroded you would be better off having them all checked over to be on the safe side.

If you can do the work yourself and take the old pipe off and replace with a new one then maybe the new pipe might cost £20 or £30 could more or less depends on the length.

If a garage does the work id say it would take a couple of hours at a guess..

Good Luck with the repair.

Chips..

Was driving home the other day when all of a sudden I notice the brake warning light come on, when I parked I noticed there was fluid dripping from the rear, where it is leaking there is no chance it could be from the flexible line and indeed looks like it might be coming from the main line.

How much of an arse is this to do and how much would a garage likely charge me?

Ty

I had the same thing on my '90 LS - which I found just after I'd bought it with 11 months MoT! Luckily the pipe hadn't ruptured, but it was so rusty it could have happened any time. It cost me £300 to get fixed by a local independent (they changed the whole line). Even though I didn't get any money back from the cowboys that gave it the MoT, I did appeal against it having 'passed' and luckily the regional inspector agreed. My guess is that they got a serious arse-whupping.

Obviously it's important to change the fluid regularly (DoT 4), as it can only absorb so much water. Keep the reservoir cap sealed with a smear of silicone grease to stop moisture getting in.