Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sport Vs. Se

Sorry I know the Sport vs. SE topic has been done to death, but can anyone who's actually driven both tell me how different they actually are to drive?

I know the sport is lowered slightly, and has the LSD. But is the ride much firmer and the handling much better or is the difference subtle? And does the LSD really make a difference? Does it mean you can exit corners quicker, or get more power down out of corners?

I know what the LSD does by the way, just curious what difference it makes in the real world/

:)

Sorry I know the Sport vs. SE topic has been done to death, but can anyone who's actually driven both tell me how different they actually are to drive?

I know the sport is lowered slightly, and has the LSD. But is the ride much firmer and the handling much better or is the difference subtle? And does the LSD really make a difference? Does it mean you can exit corners quicker, or get more power down out of corners?

I know what the LSD does by the way, just curious what difference it makes in the real world/

:)

Somewhere in this forum Jamboo has given a good review, I had SEL for 8 months and now have the sport. The drive is much firmer(sport), I have had the sport only for few days, so havent put it to test. The 18 inch alloys is awesome. I think the fuel economy was better in SEL. I am not sure, does anyone else think the same? I averaged 30 with SEL and now get around 26.

Javeed

Here you are - New IS Sport

Just one point of clarification - the gearing is only different in the Diesel, not the Petrol. I believe there is no Auto version of the Petrol Sport.

In a nutshell, ignoring engines and gearing, the Sport drives better, less floaty. Suspension firmness is there, but I thought it was comfortable enough (despite the wheels and suspension differences). A good potential suspension mod for the SE and SE-L in my view.

Are you talking about the new IS or the old one?

I don't fully understand how an LSD works, but in my SE if I make a left turn (for example) from standstill, and floor the throttle with the TRC off, I get my left wheel spinning and make slow progress away. My understanding is that with an LSD, it will not transfer as much as the power to the unloaded wheel meaning that you have more power transferred to the wheel that has more contact with the road.

Sorry if that's not correct, but that's the way I understand it. You can always lower the suspension on an SE so the only real difference is the LSD

Sorry folks I should have said, I do mean the original (and best looking :lol: ) iS not the new one

I don't fully understand how an LSD works, but in my SE if I make a left turn (for example) from standstill, and floor the throttle with the TRC off, I get my left wheel spinning and make slow progress away. My understanding is that with an LSD, it will not transfer as much as the power to the unloaded wheel meaning that you have more power transferred to the wheel that has more contact with the road.

That's how I understand it to. So you can indeed feel the power "going to waste" so to speak, but that is a slightly artificial scenario, does it make much difference in normal driving - including fast road driving?

Sorry folks I should have said, I do mean the original (and best looking :lol: ) iS not the new one

That's how I understand it to. So you can indeed feel the power "going to waste" so to speak, but that is a slightly artificial scenario, does it make much difference in normal driving - including fast road driving?

There's not really enough power to take advantage of the LSD in the Sport.

To me personally it doesn't make any difference as the traction control cuts in way before it would be of any use (and I never drive with it off - have only switched it off a few times just to see what happens)

Mine is an auto tho so I don't know if there is much more of a difference if manual, but with the way the traction control cuts in and takes away almost all power, I don't see how it could be of any use unless you drive with the TRC off

I wonder - which IS200 is the more likely to get the tail out on a corner?

Is it the one with the LSD because it gets more power down? Or does getting the power down in a more controlled manner mean less chance of the back end breaking away?

:duh:

I know the sport is lowered slightly, and has the LSD. But is the ride much firmer and the handling much better or is the difference subtle?

I think the early sports were the same height, only later on being lowered slightly (but not sure when), and don't think this makes any real difference to the handling (my current sport certainly does not feel any better handling than the SE I used to have). Bought some stiffer TTE Anti Roll Bars off another member tho, so as soon as I collect them and fit them I should hopefully get a better feel in the corners with less roll than I currently have.

Codlord, so is your IS a more recent one that is riding lower than an SE?

Actually, I correct myself, as this is what I read from another post:

"the difference with the suspension is as follows, the sport model is 10 mm lower than the se and s before late 2001, after that the sport was lowered an extra 5 mm, hence 15 mm lower"

Mine is a 2001 Y reg, so not sure if it sits 10mm or 15mm lower, but either way I would not say there is a great deal of difference in the handling - it's certainly not a sporty ride, still quite wallowy, certainly nice and comfortable, even with the 19" wheels, but personally I would prefer a slightly stiffer ride with less roll, hence why I am getting the adjustable TTE ARB's - hopefully these will go some way to improving the ride/handling without having to spend loads on new suspension.

You've got me worried there with the word "wallowy" :lol: I currently drive a MG ZS180, which contrary to what most people think is quite a serious car in the performance department. The chassis setup on it is very firm and it corners very flat with loads of grip.

I do wonder if the IS200 will be a bit too much of a change for what I'm used to. Of course the improved build quality and luxury will be welcome though :D

Hi Paradroid.

I got me an IS 200 sport 02 reg and its brilliant, handling and performance.

Before this i had a civic type-r 04 reg,now that was mad and very uncomfortable ride .it was a go cart for the road .

I was happy to give up a brand new car for one that was 3 yrs old(some have said i was mad,but luxury quality and some decent performance out way just speed).

I have not regretted swapping to a lexus in any way,so i feel it will be the best choice you make.

neuty

Hiya :D I'm in a similar boat really, considering swapping a much newer car for a Lexus 3-4 years old. But it seems the Lexus ages well because the paintwork and finish is so good. I've always liked the IS200 and to me they haven't dated at all, they still look great now and I like the unusual interior it makes you know you're driving something a bit different!

I know what you mean about the CTR, have always admired them from a performance point of view but if you do a lot of miles especially commuting or business it's probably not ideal.

I did a bit more digging on the LSD question and it seems that all it really gives you is easier power oversteer because the power goes through the back wheels better. But on a public road you prob wouldn't miss it I guess, the sport is still a good buy though they look great!

Is it the one with the LSD because it gets more power down? Or does getting the power down in a more controlled manner mean less chance of the back end breaking away?

specifically for power drift, the one with LSD will be easier.

specifically for power drift, the one with LSD will be easier.

This is logically correct - taken to extreme where the power far exeeds the grip (eg snow, ice), the non-LSD will only spin up one tyre eixiting a corner, thus leaving the loaded tyre still gripping the road and preventing a spin. With the LSD, the power will overwhelm both tyres and the back of the car will skid out...