Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Copy Hard Drive

Adie

I very much doubt it, sounds as though something is terminal. What is the errors saying?

Just Invalid this and Invalid that.. To be honest mate.. none of it really mean anything to me anyway :blush:

Shame your not up North more often Adie;) Don't think you have any visits to Steve@Charlesworth anymore do you?

Anyway looks like Norkep can sort it for you ;)

Personally from the sounds of I wouldn't waste time fixing O/S errors and backing up the reg. Just copy your work/films/dodgy stuff :P to your external HDD, and install Windows XP Clean without using your restore CD which wil most likely have loads of crap software that just bloats the PC and slows it down in addition to Windows XP. Find all the latest drives off the internet, installed XP SP2 + Updates and software and then start to copy back your stuff from your external hard drive. The extra hassle will be worth it for the speed increase. Never really found System Restore to be that good if you system gets really screwed up.

As far as a virus, it's possible mate, your only 30 mins from me, I can come up, repair any O/S errors in the reg, then back up reg and sys files, this keeps your reg data - database dictorary intact, acronis the system and restore back a point where everything was working correctly

Glad I'm not the only one that uses Acronis. Think its vastly superior to Norton Ghost!

Thanks Anees. I've not been to see Steve for a while actually... Oh how I miss that drive up the side of the mountain :P

Thanks also for the offer Paul.. I may well be in touch mate.. and I'll pop down to see you, maybe one sunday and we can pop over to the meet ;) I'll let you know buddy :D

Another quick update...

I must have done something seriously wrong as the computer wont read the digital camera either now..

So it doesnt read anything I plug in or the dvd drive :crybaby::crybaby: Its **** ******

So now the only thing that can be done is to whip the hard drive out of the laptop, hook it up to another machine (probably desktop) and take the stuff off manually, put the drive back and reuild, then transfer from the other machine to the laptop - simple (ish):>)

Do you really need the stuff that badly???

Glad I'm not the only one that uses Acronis. Think its vastly superior to Norton Ghost!

Your not kidding Anees, Acronis 9 is so far, the best imaging I've found for Linux, DD Copy is a great way of fault free cloning, takes a while longer but ideal for creating the NFS Images

Adie - Your not doing anything wrong mate, by the sounds of things, your memory maybe failing, it's corrupting the data more and more every time you boot up. I'll dig out memtest +86, this is a good way of checking the system memory for ECC and CRC problems, there are loads of apps for testing memory but this app has always found suspect memory while on set.

Removing your HDD and setting up as a slave is easy, especailly if you've got a hotswap USB walker,

Would be good to see John and the Sup gang again at the meet, you've got my mob number, give us a bell

Thats great Paul. I should get my car back this week. So I'll give you a ring in a week or twos time. Got a few other bits to get sorted on it before JAE..

I'll be in touch soon. Thanks again mate :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links