Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

When i got home from work yesturday i couldnt shut the windows or sunroof also the dash was blank.Ichecked all the fuses and found a 10amp fuse had blown(it was the 1st 10amp from the top in foot well)replaced it and dash,roof and windows worked fine.When i got in it this morning turned the key all the lights came on but that was it didnt start and no starter noise.I called the AA he thought the starter was buggered,towed to a garage they played with it and found by shorting one of the relays under the bonet that they could start the engine(think it was 2nd relay from the left)he now thinks it could be an ECU but where he doesnt know.Any ideas would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance Andy

Hi , What i suggest firstly is that if you get someone to mess about with your motor who is not familiar with them can do some serious damage especially short cutting relays. Try to get it to your nearest dealer who can put an accurate diagnostic check on it and will tell you what is wrong. They will charge you for 1/2 hr labour approx £60. Good luck

The ECU should record "problems" as such and give them an indication of whats wrong.

Maybe the starter motor if their is no noise or nothing sounding like its trying to start, sounds silly but did he test the Battery?

will plugging the car in for a diagnostic bring the problem to light ????

Sounds faintly like what can happen if you disconnect the Battery for any length of time. Have you tried switching on the ignition and leaving it for 10 mins - then come back and try to start it? If that doesn't work I agree you should get it to the dealer - their diagnostics will show what's wrong.

mine did this a while ago partly because of the starter again the rac couldn't get it to go and towed it when i looked at it one of the big fuses for the starter had gone worth a look i changed my starter motor and could have fixed it for a pound

will plugging the car in for a diagnostic bring the problem to light ????

Sounds faintly like what can happen if you disconnect the Battery for any length of time. Have you tried switching on the ignition and leaving it for 10 mins - then come back and try to start it? If that doesn't work I agree you should get it to the dealer - their diagnostics will show what's wrong.

Ive always been lead to believe that leaving the ignition on for lengthy times is no good for the cars electrics? :blink: could be wrong.

I still thinh it sounds like the starter motor or a problem around that.

Hi,

I agree with gina.

Fair enough the AA guy should have a good idea of what hes doing,but the word on the street is these Lexus cars dont breakdown that often :D so maybe this AA didnt really know his way round the car.

Yep the diagnostic way is the way to go,it should hopefully show a history of any faults.Lets hope the garage isnt adding to the fault list.They also dont sound as though they know there way around the car.

There could be quite a simple answer to what started as a blow fuse.

Let us know how you get on.

Good Luck.

Chips..

I had same exact problem in my 90 ls. With the days of trouble shooting i came to the conclusion it was the switch that is on the trans, that senses if the car is in park or neutral to start. but the sensor is impossible to get to unless you drop the exhaust and pull trans. So i ran a new wire from starter wire in fuse relay box under the bonet just cut wire that would have gone to relay and attach new wire. Then i sodered the other end to the ignition switch on dash that sends 12v to the starter ecu. no issues and dont have to worry about ecu failure or any other component failure on this system, one drawback is you lose the security feature that disables car in event of theft. Here theft is not a issue and thats why i have insurance!

Ive always been lead to believe that leaving the ignition on for lengthy times is no good for the cars electrics? :blink: could be wrong.

I've been told that too, but if the battery's been disconnected on a Lexus (and presumably many modern Toyotas) you need to leave the key in the "run" position for 6 minutes, then attempt to start the car.

Doesn't sound like the ECU's blocking it though. On my GS, if the battery's been disconnected the engine will turn over, but will refuse to fire.

I still thinh it sounds like the starter motor or a problem around that.

dont really see why except for a Battery drain - what about when you are driving??? the key is in the same position!

Back in the days of coils for sparks and contact breaker sets, leaving the ignition on would burn a coil out pretty quickly if the breaker was closed. That was the only thing that my dad ever said about leaving the ignition on (he was an engineer with RR for 30 years so knows a bit).

I would hope that these days some sort of electronics would protect whatever produces the sparks, cant think of anything else that could get actually damaged.

my2p