Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Bought My First 4x4...

Just bought myself a 1991 Daihatsu Sportrak ELXi 1.6 16v for £400 :driving: :D

Very handy as I've been shooting (shotgun) for a few months now, and it's ideal to drive around the farmers land.

Just one prob though, one of the rear spring leafs has snapped... could I get away with welding it, or do I need to buy a new one? - been told you cannot buy the leafs seperate, only the set?

Cooool ... not sure about the Leafs tony, but will have to speak to you about the shooting ?

I'm looking for a farm to shoot on too .... hmm, could be your new shooting partner ;)

Cooool ... not sure about the Leafs tony, but will have to speak to you about the shooting ?

I'm looking for a farm to shoot on too .... hmm, could be your new shooting partner ;)

Well Ahmet, you're quite welcome to join me... but remember you're about 70 miles from here :lol:

Anyway, not sure if the farmer would allow a police issue M4 carbine on his land :blink::lol::lol::lol:

Ha ha ha ... lol nooo ... I'll be bringing either the doublt barrel ... or the pump action shot gun .........

I'm serious though ! will have to talk to you about this soon ......... ;)

Ha ha ha ... lol nooo ... I'll be bringing either the doublt barrel ... or the pump action shot gun .........

OK mate :)

HERE'S a piccy of her :P

Hi tony,

I dont think you can weld a leaf spring, due to the heat ruining the spring effect.

unless you have the facility to re temper it after.

even then im not sure it would work.

OK mate :)

HERE'S a piccy of her :P

Well wicked for £400....

I don't think you can weld a leaf...I doubt it'll pass an MOT. A mates Landrover failed the MOT on rusted Leafs (though not broken)...it was old and had been standing for 20 years though....prior to him doing it up!

You can a new leaf made if you can't find one in a scrappy, I had an extra leaf made for the Mustang I used to own to get it sitting right on the road. You would probably need to take both sides off and take them to the engineering firm to ensure that they match after putting a replacement leaf in. Place I used was in West Bromwich ( Birmingham ), but there must be loads of places about.

Thanks for your suggestions guy's :) ... I have now found an aftermarket supplier (Midland Spring Company) that's sending me a pair of complete springs brand new for £171 delivered, which I didn't think was too bad - plus they are the upgraded 5 leaf instead of the 4 :winky:

@ Lexus Boy, Sounds scary mate! :blink::lol: