Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hi,

I read that a few 20k / year new cars have lPG fitted, but has anyone fitted there own kit to an older LS ?

for me the fact that its close to a byproduct and that I Can get it extra cheap is making me realy want to do it.

I'm looking for advice on install in an ls and any Problems encountered.

cheers

Alei JB.

Me too, I have done 20k in the last year. But the prices (2k-2.5k)I have seen make 35k the breakeven point. I'm not feeling that I can wait 2 years to start to save, but I have yet to do the detailed research. I know a V8 would be a bit mor expensive to convert than a 4 pot, but not twice the amout.

Shouldn't be much difference between V6 and V8 as the ECU is often the same (my LPG ECU is for 5-8 cylinders), basically parts and labour to fit an extra pair of injectors. Go bigger than that and it'll rocket as they may use two ECUs running in tandem! Seen this setup on a huge American motorhome with a V10 engine.

Mine cost £1700 inc.VAT. Morrisons are doing LPG for 39.9p/litre, with triple saver points that effectively bring it down to 38.4p/litre. The same station (Morrisons, Morfa, Swansea) does unleaded at 91.9p/litre. Even with the "20% less mpg on LPG" that's still near-enough half-price motoring. Wish I'd done my Carina years ago, I did 100,000 miles in that!

hi,

I read that a few 20k / year new cars have lPG fitted, but has anyone fitted there own kit to an older LS ?

for me the fact that its close to a byproduct and that I Can get it extra cheap is making me realy want to do it.

I'm looking for advice on install in an ls and any Problems encountered.

My LS (1992) is converted to LPG generation IV - means for each cylinder there is a dedicated injector. LPG ECU is reading signals from car ECU. If you like I can make photos - how parts looks like.

In my country full kit to convert (except LPG tank) is about 1000USD.

In UK do you need certificate from garage about LPG conversion ? In Poland there is a law which requests that conversion MUST be done in authorized garage.

In UK do you need certificate from garage about LPG conversion ? In Poland there is a law which requests that conversion MUST be done in authorized garage.

Some insurers require an LPGA certificate, mine was happy as it was done by an installer (Phil Price Autogas) recommended by the company that imports the systems (Autogas Worldwide).

Shouldn't be much difference between V6 and V8 as the ECU is often the same (my LPG ECU is for 5-8 cylinders), basically parts and labour to fit an extra pair of injectors. Go bigger than that and it'll rocket as they may use two ECUs running in tandem! Seen this setup on a huge American motorhome with a V10 engine.

Mine cost £1700 inc.VAT. Morrisons are doing LPG for 39.9p/litre, with triple saver points that effectively bring it down to 38.4p/litre. The same station (Morrisons, Morfa, Swansea) does unleaded at 91.9p/litre. Even with the "20% less mpg on LPG" that's still near-enough half-price motoring. Wish I'd done my Carina years ago, I did 100,000 miles in that!

Yep, working the price up from the cost of LPG to the cost of super-unleaded with the MPG thrown in for good measure, I calculated that mine was the equivalent of around 42MPG, which means my GS costs me slightly less per gallon than my previous 2.5TD Citroen XM. I was talked out of buying a 1990 LPG converted Celsior which would have done slightly less MPG but a hell of a lot more car for my money.

Flashlube is an essential though.

It's a lubricant. Actually an Aussie lubricant. Petrol lubricates valves, LPG doesn't, so the flashlube kit drip-feeds into the air intake (where the gas'll get injected anyway), drawn in by the air flow. Look for Flashlube on eBay and all will be revealed.

At between £16 and £18 per litre, how many miles do you do to the litre.

This will need to be factored into my running costs.

Miles per litre (not litres per 100km)? About 4. Works out at about 10p per mile when running on gas.

"4" !!!!! OUCH.

What I meant was......

Flashlube is about £17 a litre. How many miles does the LS400 do for 1 litre of Flashlube?

Oh ,right!

1 litre of Flashlube treats 1,000 litres of fuel, at £17.00 per litre of Flashlube that works out at 1.7 pence per litre of gas, although the dose rate can be adjusted.

By the way, these figures are for a GS300, LS400 figures will be close.

Just checked on eBay, birmighamautogas do a litre for £15.50 inc. postage. Postage on multiples is cheaper, so:-

1 litre = £15.50 = 1.55p per LPG litre

2 litres = £28.50 = 1.43p

3 litres = £41.50 = 1.38p

4 litres = £54.50 = 1.36p

5 litres = £67.50 = 1.35p

and at about 4 miles per litre (as you mentioned before), that will be a quarter of the rates you calculated above, say 1/3 of a penny per mile.

Todate I have averaged 26MPG on petrol and 16p per mile, over 20,000 miles in 12 months.

If LPG halves my costs, that is 8p per mile, plus 1/3p for flashlube, that is nicely below your estimate of 10 p per mile.

I like the sound of LPG even more now.

If a conversion costs me 2,000 and I save 6ppm, the conversion will break even after 33,333 miles or 1 and 2/3 years.