Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Lexus Owner Saying 'hi'

First up - Hello LOC!

Been lurking for a couple of weeks now when I first thought about getting a Lexus, and the general comments and cameraderie/friendliness (and your lexus knowledge) kind of talked me into it... :)

I just picked up my first Lexus yesterday, an IS200SE Auto on a 52 plate from Lexus Reading... and loving it! After 10 years of company diesel load-lugger cars I've got a new job and now get an allowance rather than a set of car keys, so I got to choose what I wanted rather than what a company accountant wanted!

Well pleased with it so far, sooo smooth, the only car I've personally ridden any distance in that comes close is a mate's Merc which has a 5 litre V8 in it!

Obviously, I have a couple of questions for you guys, mostly to do with the dealer rather than the car itself... firstly it only came with the grey valet key and one black master key, which according to the book is required to make new keys. So if I lose that one, am I basically stuffed? Should I try and lean on the dealer to get me a second one cut and programmed? I can't believe it left the factory with only one key which can open the boot and glovebox...

Secondly, it's got a lot of documentation with it, which I wasn't able to go through before I got it home. Two recent checks/services etc have written notes that the front brake discs are getting worn, and sure enough there's a lip on the outer and inner edges of the discs where the pads don't contact it. So I think the discs are indeed worn. Should I lean on them about this? It is an approved used car, and the RAC have passed it, and it went into the workshop for some servicing checks before being released to me.

I'm used to Ford/Vauxhall levels of (non-)service so I don't know how much I can lean on them for this kind of thing with what is, essentially, a second-hand motor!!!

Cheers,

Mike

Welcome to LOC.

I am sure that you will enjoy the car.

I would try leaning on the dealer, it can do no harm.

Tell them that if they help you out,then you will continue to use them as your service centre for all future services etc. Otherwise you will take the car to a competitor.

Hope that you get a result.

Terry

Clactonman July 2 2006

Hi Mike B, I've got a question for you.

I too, have an IS200SE Auto (2005 model). My only small gripe is that the auto-box is quite noisy under load. Is it the same on yours or have I a problem?

Great car though.

First up - Hello LOC!

Been lurking for a couple of weeks now when I first thought about getting a Lexus, and the general comments and cameraderie/friendliness (and your lexus knowledge) kind of talked me into it... :)

I just picked up my first Lexus yesterday, an IS200SE Auto on a 52 plate from Lexus Reading... and loving it! After 10 years of company diesel load-lugger cars I've got a new job and now get an allowance rather than a set of car keys, so I got to choose what I wanted rather than what a company accountant wanted!

Well pleased with it so far, sooo smooth, the only car I've personally ridden any distance in that comes close is a mate's Merc which has a 5 litre V8 in it!

Obviously, I have a couple of questions for you guys, mostly to do with the dealer rather than the car itself... firstly it only came with the grey valet key and one black master key, which according to the book is required to make new keys. So if I lose that one, am I basically stuffed? Should I try and lean on the dealer to get me a second one cut and programmed? I can't believe it left the factory with only one key which can open the boot and glovebox...

Secondly, it's got a lot of documentation with it, which I wasn't able to go through before I got it home. Two recent checks/services etc have written notes that the front brake discs are getting worn, and sure enough there's a lip on the outer and inner edges of the discs where the pads don't contact it. So I think the discs are indeed worn. Should I lean on them about this? It is an approved used car, and the RAC have passed it, and it went into the workshop for some servicing checks before being released to me.

I'm used to Ford/Vauxhall levels of (non-)service so I don't know how much I can lean on them for this kind of thing with what is, essentially, a second-hand motor!!!

Cheers,

Mike

Clactonman July 2 2006

I too, have an IS200SE Auto (2005 model). My only small gripe is that the auto-box is quite noisy under load. Is it the same on yours or have I a problem?

Great car though.

Can't say I've noticed any 'box noise at all I'm afraid... And since it's new and I'm still in the 30 day Approved Used take-it-back warranty, I've been looking and listening for problems.

Tell me - how many keys did you get? Two black (with boot-release butons) and one grey? Or just one of each?

cheers

Mike

Clactonman July 2 2006

Great car though.

Can't say I've noticed any 'box noise at all I'm afraid... And since it's new and I'm still in the 30 day Approved Used take-it-back warranty, I've been looking and listening for problems.

Tell me - how many keys did you get? Two black (with boot-release butons) and one grey? Or just one of each?

cheers

Mike

Mike, I had 3 keys, as you say, two black - with boot release - and one grey.

Interesting that you don't have a noise problem, I'm comparing with the cabin noise level of my pals Avensis auto, which is pretty quiet. Think I'll call in to my nearest dealer to get them to check it out.

Thanks.

Clactonman

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links