Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just recently i have started to get alot of clanks and clunks from the calipers when driving and sometimes when the brakes are applied. I have had the calipers out anti-siezed them repacked bits with grease etc but a few weeks on the problems back. I have an idea that a few of the rattles could be solved with replacing the anti rattle springs and getting some new rear pads (which i will as soon as i know which ones they are).

Really with the age the car is now i think replacing or refurbishing the calipers may be the way ahead so i thought there may be some around here who could fill me in on the details :D

1. Will supra calipers go on as a direct fit and which ones are better the J spec or uk, also do i need 17's min to run supra brakes

2. Where can you get caliper kits and how much are they.

3. Are there any other calipers i can adapt to fit

I'm not looking to go big brake upgrade at the minute before someone suggests it too. Need more HP first to warrant it ;)

Austin

Hi Austin,

I think i read a post on here saying it would be about £50 for a kit to refurbish the caliper.

I think the J spec caliper is the same as the uk GS300 car.

From what ive read if you go for the big brake caliper (4 pots) then yes you will need larger wheels.

Hope thats of some help.

Chips..

Hi Austin,

I think i read a post on here saying it would be about £50 for a kit to refurbish the caliper.

From what ive read if you go for the big brake caliper (4 pots) then yes you will need larger wheels.

Hope thats of some help.

Chips..

well the bigger wheels aren't a problem now bought some 18's today oops is that £50 a caliper :blink:

I bought a caliper kit (rubbers etc.) about £30 I think from Lexus.

Got a local guy to fit them. He cleaned the old calipers up and wire brushed them and then repainted

them. Good as new.

Hi Austin,

Hope thats of some help.

Chips..

well the bigger wheels aren't a problem now bought some 18's today oops is that £50 a caliper :blink:

It's not the rim size, UK Supra wheels are 17". The 4-pot brakes stick out a long way so not many 3rd party wheels fit a UK Supra without spacers. The standard wheel spokes only run 2 or 3mm away from the calipers and they are angled to draw air into the brakes for cooling.

As for stoping the noise of your existing calipers you can try removing the sliding pin and packing it with grease. It that doesn't fit it there isn't anything you can do its just wear and not dangerous.

I bought a rear caliper seal kit a few weeks ago for my IS200 from Lexus and it was about £70 or £80. It seemed an awful lot for a few bits of rubber, clips etc. It was very fiddly and took about 5 hours to do the two rear calipers. Cheaper than new calipers but I'm not sure I fixed the issue I'm having.

I opted for brand new calipers - not much more than seal kit + labour so I figured brand new cals better, particularly after I killed the previous set on the racetrack.

If you go for Project Mu discs + pads, it'll give you whiplash...no need for 4 pot calipers and all the hassle that goes with the wheel size change.

Another good setup is Black Diamond grooved discs + predator pads. Not quite as sharp as the Project Mu stuff but v.good for road use and at least x2 stopping power of stock discs.

On another note, I do believe Pro Lex are designing a 6-pot caliper kit which fits the stock rims - very interesting. There is also an AP 4-pot kit that fits with spacers or something but I don't recommend using spacers.

already packed the sliding pins it went then returned its more the fact that occasionally i get a big cliunk like a piston has stuck and then fired in at speed can you get new sliding pins seperately as a consumable?

already packed the sliding pins it went then returned its more the fact that occasionally i get a big cliunk like a piston has stuck and then fired in at speed can you get new sliding pins seperately as a consumable?

i dont see any reason at all why you can not, have never ordered them tho

I've got the sliding pin/clip kit for the rear brakes if you need.

is this for the MK1 though yoshi and there are 2 types of rear caliper for the mk1 if they are the right ones i could well be interested

Just recently i have started to get alot of clanks and clunks from the calipers when driving and sometimes when the brakes are applied. I have had the calipers out anti-siezed them repacked bits with grease etc but a few weeks on the problems back. I have an idea that a few of the rattles could be solved with replacing the anti rattle springs and getting some new rear pads (which i will as soon as i know which ones they are).

Really with the age the car is now i think replacing or refurbishing the calipers may be the way ahead so i thought there may be some around here who could fill me in on the details :D

1. Will supra calipers go on as a direct fit and which ones are better the J spec or uk, also do i need 17's min to run supra brakes

I'm not looking to go big brake upgrade at the minute before someone suggests it too. Need more HP first to warrant it ;)

Austin

Hi Austin

I have same problem on my GS.

All sorts of clunks and clangs when braking.

Had calipers checked and all ok. Pads and disks are quite low so will be replacing all four disks and pads soon with some drilled and grooved disks and performance pads.

• 1 month later...

Austin

Hi Austin

I have same problem on my GS.

All sorts of clunks and clangs when braking.

Had calipers checked and all ok. Pads and disks are quite low so will be replacing all four disks and pads soon with some drilled and grooved disks and performance pads.

missed this post my pads and discs are quite low too i wonder if its a common effect of high brake wear

have you replaced them yet and if so whats the result has the noise stopped?