Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Selling Is200

It does astound me (back to my point).

I have bought 7 new cars over the years (from humble Fords to german exec cars), and the Lexus has been the worst. Both from a quality perspective and the dealer experience.

I know I'm sailing on my own wind here, but with all of the known foibles with the old IS, is the rest of the field that bad? Is everything else so bad that the Lexus still wins? Where in a JD Power survey does it mention 90% have corroding alloys, the ball joints are shot in 2 years etc etc????

None of my previous cars appeared to have "engineered" flaws (except my 1994 Mondeo - famous Suspension legs and the Exhaust O ring).

Examples are all stated above, from err3 CD's, ball joints, geometry that goes off when you sneeze, Satnav ribbons cables, dodgy alloys, expensive servicing ('cos it's needed every 10,000), etc etc, yet people keep raving about how good they are.

The only positive thing that I have seen of the old IS is the engine, which appears to be bullet proof.

I had one for a few days, but within a few minutes I knew it was not the right car for me - cramped, noisy, plasticky dash, not that quick. Then I realised how it gulped fuel and it was decided...no Lexus for me...and we waited for the new model.

The new IS is far more refined, but it's still has some flaws - dodgy interior quality, space, depreciates heavy (you can pick up exdemo's at 15-20% below list already) and it's not the best diesel in the world. But it is fully loaded...

And to cap it all very inconsistent dealer service (though most seem OK).

Like I say I can only speak from my experience, but from what I see, I am surprised at how well the Lexus brand does in these surveys!!

Would I have bought one if I knew what I know now...??? NO

PS - I often blow hot and cold towards Lexus...well mines rattling badly this morning....centre dash! It's not the speaker, but something further inside! Do I care? NO!

PPS - I quite fancied the RX350, but having read some of the issues in that forum, I am rethinking the strategy completely...

yeah the focus is not bad, but that's all it is, perhaps 'lexus chris' (or should that be 'focus chris') would be better off slating the lexus on the FFOC forum (where my mum shags around), probably wouldn't get so many peoples backs up that way, y'know, than saying how ******* the lex is on a lexus forum.

All i am saying is that a 2 year old Foci is better than a 7 year old Lexus.

:tomato:

I have said, i love my Lexus, but it definately is over-rated and all i am doing is trying to give advise.

I have bought 7 new cars over the years (from humble Fords to german exec cars), and the Lexus has been the worst. Both from a quality perspective and the dealer experience.

I know I'm sailing on my own wind here, but with all of the known foibles with the old IS, is the rest of the field that bad? Is everything else so bad that the Lexus still wins? Where in a JD Power survey does it mentions 90% have corroding alloys, the ball joints are shot in 2 years etc etc????

None of my previous cars appeared to have "engineered" flaws (except my 1994 Mondeo - famous Suspension legs and the Exhaust O ring).

Examples are all stated above, from err3 CD's, ball joints, geometry that goers off when you sneeze, Satnav ribbons cables, dodgy alloys, expensive servicing ('cos it's needed every 10,000), etc etc, yet people keep raving about how good they are.

The only positive thing that I have seen of the old IS is the engine, which appears to be bullet proof.

I had one for a few days, but within a few minutes I knew it was not the right car for me - cramped, noisy, not that quick. Then I realised how it gulped fuel and it was decided...no Lexus for me...and we waited for the new model.

The new IS is far more refined, but it's still has some flaws - dodgy interior quality, space, depreciates heavy (you can pick up exdemo's at 15-20% below list already) and it's not the best diesel in the world.

Like I say I can only speak from my experience, but from what I see, I am surprised at how well the Lexus brand does in these surveys!!

PS - I often blow hot and cold towards Lexus...well mines rattling badly this morning....centre dash! It's not the speaker, but something further inside! Do I care? NO!

Thanks for backing me up a bit there!

Your IS220d looks lovely BTW

:D

Thanks again everyone for feedback, all valid as each other I was intrested in what you all had to say of course...

Little thing that did happen last night though was 2 people commenting to me on how great the IS200 does look I don't feel I can get that from the focus, they do all pretty much look the same except the new ST3 which is not what I'd be getting...

But as soon as I test drive it I'll no, I'm under no pressure to sell right now and if I don't like it, i'll be saving up for a S/C and keeping the IS. :lol:

Thanks all, will keep you updated...

Thanks again everyone for feedback, all valid as each other I was intrested in what you all had to say of course...

Little thing that did happen last night though was 2 people commenting to me on how great the IS200 does look I don't feel I can get that from the focus, they do all pretty much look the same except the new ST3 which is not what I'd be getting...

But as soon as I test drive it I'll no, I'm under no pressure to sell right now and if I don't like it, i'll be saving up for a S/C and keeping the IS. :lol:

Thanks all, will keep you updated...

The least you could do is swap it after all that arguing i have done!

Only joking dude! :winky:

I think it's fair to say that all cars have their "known faults" - even Lexus. The thing with a car like a Lexus is they are very well designed and engineered (for the most part) so they aren't full of rattles, plus fit and finish is really good so they drive/look new for longer and hold their value better.

It's probably the case here that our friend got into a Lexus too soon. When I was 21 I'd want to be in a hot hatch and I was. I'm 31 now and still in a hot hatch (well sort of). But eventually the boy racer thing will subside (maybe in a year or two) and I'll start wanting something more refined and solid. Which might just be a Lexus!

I know I'm sailing on my own wind here, but with all of the known foibles with the old IS, is the rest of the field that bad? Is everything else so bad that the Lexus still wins? Where in a JD Power survey does it mention 90% have corroding alloys, the ball joints are shot in 2 years etc etc????

Examples are all stated above, from err3 CD's, ball joints, geometry that goes off when you sneeze, Satnav ribbons cables, dodgy alloys, expensive servicing ('cos it's needed every 10,000), etc etc, yet people keep raving about how good they are.

I had one for a few days, but within a few minutes I knew it was not the right car for me - cramped, noisy, plasticky dash, not that quick. Then I realised how it gulped fuel and it was decided...no Lexus for me...and we waited for the new model.

The new IS is far more refined, but it's still has some flaws - dodgy interior quality, space, depreciates heavy (you can pick up exdemo's at 15-20% below list already) and it's not the best diesel in the world. But it is fully loaded...

PPS - I quite fancied the RX350, but having read some of the issues in that forum, I am rethinking the strategy completely...

funnythat my IS has had none of the problems that you state as common IS problems, and its 6 years old !

think you read into things too much

Been a lexus owner for 5 mins and slating them already.

just my tuppence worth

I have not experienced any problem either so far, probably it's a bit too early to judge as my IS200 is only several months old.

Needless to say that Lexus is far more refined and solid than Ford and the name does stand out in the group. But the cost for running and maintaining is certainly more than keeping a Ford. In all, if you enjoy luxury and pride and you can afford it then Lexus is the best choice.

I have not heard any thing bad about RX350 and I'm thinking of getting one in the near future. Do you mind to briefly list the issues that might be concerned ? Thanks :D

My IS200 is now 5 years old and having MOT and service on friday. We all had bad alloys, but they were changed with no quibbles. My CD playeer was changed under warranty three years ago and since then---- NILL - NADA- NAFALL... Boring car never goes wrong, still looks great when i fill up at the forecourt. Must be a bad thing to be a Lexus dealer because you never see you clients because they have no reason to visit you. Had wonderful service from Lexus Wolverhampton and am saving my wifes pennies for either a 250 Sport or 220D Sport. Decisions decisions.......PS hello at all my friends at LOC, am still around!

Update: Test drove the ST170 20 mins ago or so gotta say it was nippy & good handling. Interior wasn't great but the added features such as sat nav were great. Looking at the outside of the car though it offended my eyes next to my Lex, could you tell the difference between a entry level focus and this one, the answer was no.. Would I still be smoked by ST3's yes..lol so I've opted to keep the lex for abit longer maybe get some mod's going in two weeks time when i'm back from my hols...

Yay for Lexus :lol:

Update: Test drove the ST170 20 mins ago or so gotta say it was nippy & good handling. Interior wasn't great but the added features such as sat nav were great. Looking at the outside of the car though it offended my eyes next to my Lex, could you tell the difference between a entry level focus and this one, the answer was no.. Would I still be smoked by ST3's yes..lol so I've opted to keep the lex for abit longer maybe get some mod's going in two weeks time when i'm back from my hols...

Yay for Lexus :lol:

You know it makes sense ;) :lol:

funnythat my IS has had none of the problems that you state as common IS problems, and its 6 years old !

think you read into things too much

Been a lexus owner for 5 mins and slating them already.

just my tuppence worth

Hmmm...you've done well. My comments are a recap of every reply to the "I'm a newbie looking for a IS200..." So it's people on this forum who claim the car has problems...and yet that model seems to win all the sat surveys... :duh:

My comments on the RX350 - well it drives very well and I do like it but I have read it isn't particularly good off road if that's what you want it for.

You need to read the forum and spend time in there and make your own mind up, and I'm not sure whether rattles have plagued the UK models as they have in the states. There are some interesting threads on fuel economy and lurching gearbox's...Hopefully the RX350 is all sorted 'cos of all the Lexus's the GS and the RX are IMHO the best to drive.

I think you made the right decision chris, my sister has the ST170, 2 years old, nothing but trouble, clutch has gone 3 times in 8 mths.

Stick with the Lexi you know it makes sense, even though some would say its probably very unreliable, just like the rest of the lexus range.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links