Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Selling Is200

Obviously you all love lexus and I to do and have enjoyed being here an getting help, but an opportunity has come may way to trade in my Lexus IS200 Sport reg 99... 88K Miles, in for a Focus St170 04 reg and 20k miles..

Have I gone mad to consider a new car?

Had the Lex for 8 months I'd say and loved it to bits, no problems so far. I have only made very minor mods to the Lex, wheels and grill. So I am not losing anything (mods wise), do you think I should just start saving my pennys and save for a Supercharger and allow my fun to continue while having a faster car, I still can't see myself spending anymore than the amount to sort the s/c, I can't afford to get a lovely Turbo for the IS. (which would be ideal..)

Should I look into this Focus a lot more seriously, it's a 2 ltr and i believe about 170bhp but unfortunetly not a turbo like the Focus RS or i'd trade instantly...

but it has a lot of adds like the lex (sat nav) recaro seats, ac, etc...

Only thing in my head I can't get over is when sum1 says "you drive a lexus don't you" i will now relpy "No a focus." :tomato:

Give me your opinons please, to stay or not to stay...

Obviously you all love lexus and I to do and have enjoyed being here an getting help, but an opportunity has come may way to trade in my Lexus IS200 Sport reg 99... 88K Miles, in for a Focus St170 04 reg and 20k miles..

Have I gone mad to consider a new car?

Had the Lex for 8 months I'd say and loved it to bits, no problems so far. I have only made very minor mods to the Lex, wheels and grill. So I am not losing anything (mods wise), do you think I should just start saving my pennys and save for a Supercharger and allow my fun to continue while having a faster car, I still can't see myself spending anymore than the amount to sort the s/c, I can't afford to get a lovely Turbo for the IS. (which would be ideal..)

Should I look into this Focus a lot more seriously, it's a 2 ltr and i believe about 170bhp but unfortunetly not a turbo like the Focus RS or i'd trade instantly...

but it has a lot of adds like the lex (sat nav) recaro seats, ac, etc...

Only thing in my head I can't get over is when sum1 says "you drive a lexus don't you" i will now relpy "No a focus." :tomato:

Give me your opinons please, to stay or not to stay...

Focus nice car but its not a Lexus, when you say to people I drive a Focus they say "Oh" when you say you drive a Lexus their ears prick up and they are intrested in model, age , proformance etc.

Have you driven the Focus yet? I test drove one a few years ago and was a bit underwhelmed to be honest, it didn't really drive like a performance model. I found myself wondering where the 170 horses were, engine seemed a bit gutless. I do like the looks of them though, the Mk1 Focus is a classic shape and the ST170 is my favourite looks-wise.

Interior and build quality won't be what you're used to, but of course you're getting a much newer car with a lot less miles on the clock.

What else are you considering or what price range are you looking at?

If I'm not driving a Lexus in the UK it's invariably a Ford Focus in one guise or another, courtesy of Hertz, and it's always a relief to get into the Lex after the Ford.

If you'd trade instantly for a Focus RS then I'm sorry you've already missed the point. How about a nice BMW M3 then?? Audi A3?? Lotus Elise??? :lol::whistling: Depends on what you want from a car....

The st170 is not a performance car per se.

Its out dated now with the ST3 (turbo model) Look into getting one of those instead.

Unless its a cosworth people will always think its just a Ford at the end day.

Lexus to a Ford is a step backward..... IMHO ;)

Test drive will be soon this week hopefully... I know what you mean about the Lexus Vs Ford name, I'm already wondering about that and the step back :winky: it's sort of a company car, it's gonna be traded in and I'm throwing a little cash on top. Sure don't have the money to step upto the ST3 etc or a newish car in a higher league.. As i'm 21 the insurance is going to be fairly high on whatever I want if it's above the IS200 I see this car as just a newer car with the same power really..

I will have to check the interior but like others have stated one reason i got the IS was because it's a luxury car but to me as I use to have a clio 1.2 :winky: it has great power 2.. I just don't want to take to many steps back, I'm under no pressure to change... so will take the test drive and make a decison if it wow's me then the option is there, if not I'm happy to keep the IS for another year at least :hehe:

thanks for feedback, wasn't sure what I'd get back cuz I didn't know if you guys have driven any focus or fords etc... I haven't lol :whistling:

Also I do like Lotus Elise :P so I may shop around if this doesn't tickle my fancy...

I have driven my mates brand new focus 1.6 and it's not bad, comfortable, quick - not fast, but there is bloody loads and loads of them on the road......

put my 6 year old Altezza next to it and there's no doubt if asked which one to go for.....

I could also have bought a brand new corolla for a couple of grand more than the Tezza but no thanks.....

To me it's special, others prefer a new reg.....

Good luck either way....... :)

BTW..... you have a 153 bhp car, will need to go a lot more than 170bhp to feel any big performance improvement for a similar sized car

I have just bought my second Lexus after regretting selling my first one 2 years ago. My last car was a 2000 Ford Focus, not an ST170 but i have a freind who has a 170 and my brother inlaw has a superchipped 170 and i have driven them both. I think you would be crazy to even consider changing. Trust me you will regret it big time. I think with a lexus its a case of you dont miss what you've got until its gone. Ive always thought the 170 was way over priced for what you get and i dont really think it looks the money either, far all anyone knows it could just be a 1.4 with a set of £500 Fox alloys from Halfords whereas when you drive by in a Lexus people know youve got something special :) . In the last 2 years since selling my first Lex i have had a 6 month old Mazda 6 and a 2001 MK3 V6 Mondeo Zetec S and Nothing has even come close to the Lexus. Seriously think about it m8.

Newer car, less miles, better performance, looks different from the usual focus, cheaper to fix.

What more do you want, do it. :winky:

In 1 years time when your car has 100k on it and you are taking it for its major service, you will regret it once you see the bill Lexus give you. :crybaby:

Sorry guys but IS200's are starting to look a little outdated now anyways. :o

Newer car, less miles, better performance, looks different from the usual focus, cheaper to fix.

In 1 years time when your car has 100k on it and you are taking it for its major service, you will regret it once you see the bill Lexus give you. :crybaby:

:withstupid: An "outdated looking Lexus" will still turn more heads that a :tsktsk: Focus

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" On a personal note, I think the IS200/300 looks better than the IS220d/250.

:withstupid: An "outdated looking Lexus" will still turn more heads that a :tsktsk: Focus

:tomato:

Bulls**t,

ST170's are great cars, and they look the part.

I know they are only a Ford, but isnt the Lexus just a posh Toyota?

Everything a IS200 has in it, a ST170 has in it.

Bulls**t,

Never seen a Ford st170 with class yet :D seen some with lexus light on them :lol:

Bulls**t,

Yeah Yeah :yawn: Each to their own but........

.........JD Power 2005

Lexus IS200/300 CLASS WINNER

Rating 85.5% Overall Ranking 2nd

Once again, an excellent performance from the IS. It remains a clear winner in this class, even though the gap to the next best has narrowed since last year.

Again, the IS secures second place overall, too, and for the same reason: consistently good scores across the board. It’s rated as excellent in three categories, and above average in every other category except for one. The only real criticism – and it was surprisingly heavy criticism – was for its fuel consumption; diesel power is unavailable.

Otherwise, it’s good news all the way. Owners love the looks, the dealers and the interior, and they like driving it. Last, but not least, it has above-average build quality and mechanical reliability.

Enough said

Bulls**t,

Actually ST170's can be seriously problematic cars. There were dozens of ECU updates in the early days to try and cure the engines running rough etc. Brake failures have been reported, basically quite a few got rejected in the early days. I know this because the owners club was keeping a list of number plates of rejected cars to help people avoid the problem ones. This 04 plate one should be ok though, it was more 02 plates that had the problems.

As for kit being comparable, as far as I know the ST170 doesn't have any of the following:

Electric Seats

In dash CD changer

Auto lights

Straight six engine

Rear wheel drive

Probably a few more things to add to that list...

Sorry,

I dont want to start a argument but if i was him i would swap.

I also thought that the JD survey was on cars that are 3 years old or newer. His lexus is 7 years old and it has 70k more than the focus. Looking at it long term it would be better.

As for kit being comparable, as far as I know the ST170 doesn't have any of the following:

Electric Seats

Why would you need these anyway, once you are in your car you dont need to move your seat.

In dash CD changer

Has a CD changer in boot

Auto lights

If you cant remember to turn your lights on in the dark you shouldnt be on the road

Straight six engine

Sh*t on petrol, and not even quick, All it is good for is being smooth.

Rear wheel drive

Not very good on the IS in winter as we all know.

Probably a few more things to add to that list...

Lets see,

Clutch problems, Gearbox notchy, Sh*t balljoints, Tracking needs doing every 6 months, New tires are needed every 20k,

Sorry people but the list goes on, as much as i love my IS200, i just think that they are too over-rated.

Personally I don't give a rat's a$$. If he wants a Ford he'll get a Ford and all that comes with it. I'm keeping both Lexus, but that's personal choice and for the same reason I will not be canvassing opinions on this forum if I want to change out either of them.

Personally I smell like a rat's a$$. If he wants a Ford he'll get a Ford and all that comes with it. I'm keeping both Lexus, but that's personal choice and for the same reason I will not be canvassing opinions on this forum if I want to change out either of them.

Calm down lad, I did'nt want to start a argument anyway :D

I was trying to help him out cos he asked for some advise. :winky:

Yet it still wins JD Power surveys...who's lying?

I thought the Honda S2000 won it? :P

Personally I smell like a rat's a$$. If he wants a Ford he'll get a Ford and all that comes with it. I'm keeping both Lexus, but that's personal choice and for the same reason I will not be canvassing opinions on this forum if I want to change out either of them.

I thought the Honda S2000 won it? :P

If you actually read it, it says :

yeah the focus is not bad, but that's all it is, perhaps 'lexus chris' (or should that be 'focus chris') would be better off slating the lexus on the FFOC forum, probably wouldn't get so many peoples backs up that way, y'know, than saying how ******* the lex is on a lexus forum.

If you actually read it, it says :

Sorry Didnt read it properly,

But again, I dont want to argue, i am just giving advise